Texas Hunting Forum

Ground sitting for hogs

Posted By: fishcast

Ground sitting for hogs - 11/02/15 05:06 PM

How many of y'all sit on the ground against a tree or brush when hunting hogs? To me blinds can be restrictive with getting off multiple shots, getting the gum from one window to the next, making movement noise, not to mention a reduced field of vision. Setting on the ground camo-ed up also provides better peripheral vision to detect movement.

Blinds are probably more comfortable but you can sit against a tree on a chair with camo net or poncho covering you and the chair.

Just curious how many hunt outside of blinds?
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/02/15 05:19 PM

yep, one of my favorite things to do is find a tree and sit down. Pigs don't hit feeders where I hunt so you have to go find them. Sitting down and listening will save a lot of walking.
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/02/15 05:20 PM

Welcome to the forum
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/02/15 06:12 PM

I hurt this way all the time. It's been very productive and I can easily get up and walk around if the pigs aren't hitting the feeder. I hunt at night, so I don't even bother using Camo netting.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/02/15 06:13 PM

Hard to sit hunt out here due to vegetation. We have pimple mounds that i set blinds on and levees as well.
Posted By: fill

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/02/15 06:20 PM

Yeah no kidding. Too many damn fire ants around here. You cant even hardly stand in one spot too long before theyre on the assault up your boots and pant legs
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/03/15 12:25 AM

Most of the time I sit in the tree line at the edge of a pasture and wait for the hogs to show. Then I move along the trees until I get 'em within range. If they're further out, I may have to sneak thru the pasture a bit, but I basically never use a blind. Gotta keep on the move depending upon wind direction.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/03/15 12:54 AM

When sitting prefure treestands for the higher view vantage... Prefure easing threw woods taking hunt ta them than sitting & waiting... flag
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/03/15 02:41 PM

I used to hunt them on the ground tucked back into a cedar or mesquite tree. I once had some pigs come in a little too close during and after the shooting. It gets the blood flowing for sure!!! I like being in a blind since I don't have to worry about scent and being seen. Some people stink to game animals, and I am one of those. I always get busted by scent. I used to hunt pigs at night from a tri/quad pod stand about 20-30 yards away, and that was awesome.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/03/15 03:38 PM

Stalking is okay, but ground sitting is something I only do when I don't have better choices and elevated locations are usually better choices (tree stands, tripods, box blinds).

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/03/15 04:45 PM

As pappy once said: Proud Supporter of WMA's ... huntsolo here, have small set-up down by creek... Don't have the hog problems here like some area's... My ta-go-to place is WMA down road for a hog ta grill & chill... It first opened ta public, old ATV trails all kinds of sign of hogs rooting up... Had lease for deer hunts & at house... The 3months hog any legal means, hit the area's back mile or so with back packs... Have seen 50+ hogs in a group... 24-7-365 hunting pressure on surrounding privite land, can make WMA limited hunts a hotspot... Gave up lease, did the archery deer&hog hunts... Would set up climber off beaten path in thick areas torn up by hogs, elevated stand, better view... Tis a conservative took camera & did some videos... Had thread in public hunting forum ... Most of the rooting up is done at night, even in the cooler weather... On the 3months any legal means hog only hunts, wondering about the woods hitting the out of way, hard ta reach, thick area's... No problems finding hogs... They have been thinned out over the years... i enjoy me hog hunts, the other wild game, just like ya'll... Stay Safe... flag

Posted By: rickym

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/05/15 04:27 PM

I have a 5'x6' platform 5' in the air that I sit on
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/05/15 07:14 PM

I've done it.. one time ended up completely surrounded in the woods right at dark with my bow.. unnerving situation to put it simply. Took a shot at the closest one (+-5 yards) and damn near got trampled as a result. They didnt know I was there, they just decided MY direction was the best way to run at the sound of the shot!
Posted By: IamMr2

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/06/15 05:14 PM

I do it occasionally. May sit overlooking a tank or pond on a hot day. They come around.
Posted By: Central texas

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/06/15 11:16 PM

Fun on the ground , gets the nerves going.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/06/15 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: fill
Yeah no kidding. Too many damn fire ants around here. You cant even hardly stand in one spot too long before theyre on the assault up your boots and pant legs
up
Posted By: rongmei123

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/07/15 03:32 AM

Chances getting spooked for the ground sittetd
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/07/15 05:33 AM

I like spot and stalk or still hunting for hogs. They aren't that smart.
Posted By: cmc

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/07/15 11:16 AM

Last year I had a group coming to a food plot after dark but wanted to shoot one with my old 30-30 so I needed plenty light for the open sights. I back tracked them a ways to see where they came from and had to lay on belly in a log pile to get the shot but I got one at 20 yards.

Re: Ground sitting for hogs - 11/07/15 02:50 PM

:cheers cmc your not scared of dem dar wild zombie, carnavel hogs... Back in me caveman days, people usdta think i twas muyloco as pappy once said: ask the doctored 2outa3 will disagree rofl they use them thar big fancy words... At OSBWMA been doing the observing method during archery deer&hog hunts from climber, higher point of view, & can adjust stand sight, some times have ta use chain on with ladder steps, other times build ground blind... But on the hogs any legal meens, i don't wait on hogs ta come ta me... rofl been known ta Sneek hp on em sleepen & scare de poop outa em, rofl had several videos on the public hunting forum , think they took em down for safty reasons... You seen de tred bout them thar crash hogs ? Peoples totten side arms on archery hunts... Tis a jungle out thar... Stay Safe, as they told me at work... Don't let the hogs get cha ... High-tech now days they got NV &Thermal ta put advantage ta the hunters, cheers its a lot Safer...
Edit: dueling with android, & i'm losing... hit wrong keys, spell check switches words... Tis why i say got cheap posts... flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum