Texas Hunting Forum

Ammo for hog hunting?

Posted By: destroyer4570

Ammo for hog hunting? - 02/23/15 02:17 AM

Hello all, I have seen some ammo that is designated especially for hog such as Winchester Razorback, Remington Hog Hammer, and just now I saw some by Hornady called Full Boar. I was wanting to know if anyone here has tried any of these brands of ammo and how did they preform? I am planning on buying my first AR in the next couple of weeks to use for hog hunting and would like to know which of these options would be better, I may pick a box of each to see the differences for myself buy wanted to get an idea for you all's experience. I appreciate any info you all can provide me and thanks for your time.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Ammo for hog hunting? - 02/23/15 02:23 AM

They will work but so will the cheaper ones. Good placement = dead piggies.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Ammo for hog hunting? - 02/23/15 03:13 AM

What caliber rifle are you using? While shot placement is always the most important factor, I think it's worth spending the extra money for premium ammo when smaller caliber rifles are used. If you're shooting a .270 or larger, I wouldn't sweat it.
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Ammo for hog hunting? - 02/23/15 03:16 AM

Probably a marketing gimmick. Expanding or cast lead boolit will work. For that matter I know people that have killed them with FMJ.

Put them where they are supposed to go and they will drop.
Posted By: ZenArchery

Re: Ammo for hog hunting? - 02/23/15 03:40 PM

Most of it is marketing. But bullet technology has come a long way so I wouldn't be too quick to push it off as a gimmick. As most stated shot placement is essential. Make sure you are using a good hog hunting caliber.
Posted By: InsaneIrish

Re: Ammo for hog hunting? - 02/23/15 07:41 PM

I shot 2 hogs last year at 50 and 80 yards with 300 AAC Blackout Rem. Hog Hammer ammo. Both dropped dead where they stood. Seems to work just fine.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum