Texas Hunting Forum

Wild Hog dressing

Posted By: inkedagent

Wild Hog dressing - 02/20/15 12:33 PM

Okay, so being a noob at Feral Hog hunting, and hunting in general, I have to ask: dressing out the animal, if you catch the intestines or bladder, do you throw out the meat that the spillage touches?

Now I do an insane amount of research online, almost obsessive. What I come to see is that people are divided on the issue. After watching a ton of YouTube videos, I have seen people be delicate around the bladder and intestines, or Ive seen people knick the bladder, but wash out the cavity. From what I've gathered, washing out the cavity seems to be fine, even though it is generally agreed on not to knick out the bladder or intestines. The advice to not let urine or feces hit the meat hails from the golden oldie days when you couldn't get animals on ice or rinse them very well. Given the state of the meat industry in stores today, I highly doubt that we all don't get some extra BS from our store bought meat. So what is the consensus? Do your best but if poop happens, hose it out?

I go on my first Hog hunt with my woman in April. Looking forward to it! flag
Posted By: Rob M

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/20/15 01:11 PM

just wash it out good if that happens.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/20/15 04:09 PM

x2....wash it out good....maybe trim off the top layer of what it touches if you want to be extra cautious. done it plenty of times.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/20/15 04:37 PM

Really you do not have to gut a hog
You can clean a hog take backstraps and quarters where he lays without getting dirt or blood on the meat
Lay hog on belly spread legs out so hog supports himself cut a horizontal line down to front shoulder
Then cut vertical to past rear hips then cut horizontal across the hips then take and filet left side
Cut down ribs so the square flap hangs over the side of pig thanks out the left backstrap then do the same on right side ,then fold flap back up lay pig on side skin the hind quarter (helps if someone holds leg up)
Either cut knee with knife or saw then cut around hip to ball joint quarter comes right off put in cooler
Then do front quarter the same,lay hog over and repeat on other side
And your done
I have deboning quarters at home, however next pig I'm just going to debone quarters into a ziplock bag
In the field then take home and grind

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/20/15 07:46 PM

Thanks folks! I also seen a video where a guy didn't gut the hog and removed everything including the rib racks. I shoulda been doing this longer. flag
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/21/15 03:15 PM

98% of my hog hunting been on public land. Learned years ago, hog down, easier ta just cut back strap, quarters, roll over repeat. No gutting, unless ya want heart, liver or tenderloins. Alot easier, less ta mess with, specialy way back in woods. Best Wishes up for your service. flag

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/21/15 04:48 PM

The only thing I wanna leave is a spine, head, and gut pile. Rib racks! Woooo!

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/21/15 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: inkedagent
The only thing I wanna leave is a spine, head, and gut pile. Rib racks! Woooo!

Get mine at the grocery store. They leave Tenderloins on ribs, least how i was taught. One of the advantages of lease, guided, or invite hunts ya can drive up ta hog & not back pack. cheers Your military experience will give ya edge on back packing them ribs out on public land, just lave tender loins on inside of ribs. flag

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/21/15 06:28 PM

All I need is the practice! I seen this video where this dude didn't gut the pig, but separated the ribs off the spine with hatchets. Pretty ingenious. Started with the back straps, took the quarters, the uses the the hatchets to cut off the ribs. 'Merica flag

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/21/15 07:15 PM

cheers You got link ta video? Be great for those wanting ta learn short cuts for ribs. On public land take the backstraps not much left on the bones & make in light & simple for getting it back ta truck & ice. flag

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/21/15 07:49 PM

http://youtu.be/_DgbtPDHIUw

It was demonstrating RaptoRazor knives. I just watched it for the field dressing tips.

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/21/15 08:09 PM

cheers Good tips always nice ta know. Been back packing hogs out of the woods since they opened public land down the road. Whin ya few miles back wondering about the woods on solo hunt at dark-thirty & drop two good size hogs. Ya think light, went back ta house, called friend, & took military back pack. Friends help. cheers But a lot easier back packing. Got a lighter back pack bye adidas mesh type, carry it with. Used ta work at grochery store, cutting meat. Best Wishes, & whin ya get back ta States. Enjoy the hunt. up for your service flag

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/21/15 08:37 PM

Oh I will, and thank you for your support. flag
Posted By: cazador1022

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/22/15 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Lance Vick
You can clean a hog take backstraps and quarters where he lays without getting dirt or blood on the meat
Lay hog on belly spread legs out so hog supports himself cut a horizontal line down to front shoulder
Then cut vertical to past rear hips then cut horizontal across the hips then take and filet left side
Cut down ribs so the square flap hangs over the side of pig thanks out the left backstrap then do the same on right side ,then fold flap back up lay pig on side skin the hind quarter (helps if someone holds leg up)
Either cut knee with knife or saw then cut around hip to ball joint quarter comes right off put in cooler
And your done
I have deboning quarters at home, however next pig I'm just going to debone quarters into a ziplock bag

WHAT HE SAID +1

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/22/15 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: cazador1022
Originally Posted By: Lance Vick
And your done

WHAT HE SAID +1

cheers Lance explains it pretty good. On Public land keep the holves on till get ta house, case stopped by GW. It alot easier if ya not ablr ta drive up to it. Lease or at house ya can drive up to it, were can cool down & take your time. flag
Posted By: Theblakester

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/22/15 05:59 PM

http://lonestarboars.com/threads/graphic...-the-dirt.2048/
Here's how I do it

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/24/15 08:39 AM

Awesome pictures. See a couple posts up where I linked a video that shows how to remove a rib rack with hatchets. Never mind the fact that it's selling a skinning knife, was just an interesting way of removing rib racks without gutting. I'm always up for learning!
Posted By: Taylor202

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/24/15 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Theblakester

That's exactly how I did my last one. Two things to note;
1. Make sure your knife is very sharp and high quality.
2. The rear quarters for me took a bit of sawing and what not to get off, then again Im still pretty new.

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/24/15 06:00 PM

I got to find my skinning set and see if it's even worth a damn. Been sitting in storage a few years now.
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Wild Hog dressing - 02/25/15 10:36 PM

People may say I'm crazy (they'd be right) but if I have time I pressure wash the hog at the car wash prior to cleaning. The hogs on my lease are always covered in a caked on fine dust of mud and feces. It is a lot cleaner processing after giving them a shower. I don't always do this but it definitely helps, otherwise there is a fine dust coming off the animal as I clean it getting on the meat and in my lungs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum