Texas Hunting Forum

starting again with Ozempic

Posted By: Buzzsaw

starting again with Ozempic - 02/04/23 11:25 PM

been two years and I'm fat again. long story of my fight with chronic binge eating. I'm working with a dietitian AND a therapist to find out what makes me this way.

Dietician got me a months supply of Ozempic to curb hunger urges. lots of talk about it.

start my first injection Monday.

i;ll keep you posted

i'm at 292lb today hammer
Posted By: jetdad

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/05/23 01:07 AM

I take it for Type II. It does curb your appetite some. I only take half the recommended dose because one of the side effects is it will stop you up. I also constantly have to fight with Blue Cross about paying for it. It is expensive and they try to bully you into alternative drugs. Save the thread in OT about how to get your digestive system moving again. You may need it. I like the drug but it took me a whike to tweek the dosage and get it right for me. I have not enjoyed any benefit of losing weight.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/05/23 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
I take it for Type II. It does curb your appetite some. I only take half the recommended dose because one of the side effects is it will stop you up. I also constantly have to fight with Blue Cross about paying for it. It is expensive and they try to bully you into alternative drugs. Save the thread in OT about how to get your digestive system moving again. You may need it. I like the drug but it took me a whike to tweek the dosage and get it right for me. I have not enjoyed any benefit of losing weight.

Good stuff jetdad. I got one month's worth. I hope just enough to kill my gargantuan appetite till my body adjusts to 1500 cals a day. I'm not crazy about taking it away from a diabetic who really needs it.

Too Bad:

1. Big Pharma can't make enough
2. Big Pharma is SO greedy

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/06/23 03:29 AM

Buzz, it does slow the digestive system. I have to take some slow release antacid pills to keep from getting acid reflux at night. I also can't eat after about 4:00PM or the reflux becomes problematic. If you get through a pen in a month then you are taking the 0.25 Ml (CC's) loading dose, then going to 0.50Ml once a week. I take 0.25Ml's so a pen lasts me two months. Don't worry about using it for weight loss vs diabetes. If it helps you then that's great! Both uses are about improved health.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/06/23 04:20 PM

Buzz, it does slow the digestive system. I have to take some slow release antacid pills to keep from getting acid reflux at night. I also can't eat after about 4:00PM or the reflux becomes problematic. If you get through a pen in a month then you are taking the 0.25 Ml (CC's) loading dose, then going to 0.50Ml once a week. I take 0.25Ml's so a pen lasts me two months. Don't worry about using it for weight loss vs diabetes. If it helps you then that's great! Both uses are about improved health.

Thanks for the tips
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/07/23 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

Good stuff jetdad. I got one month's worth. I hope just enough to kill my gargantuan appetite till my body adjusts to 1500 cals a day. I'm not crazy about taking it away from a diabetic who really needs it.

Too Bad:

Have you tried adderall or concerta?

Those will curb your appetite

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/08/23 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Too Bad:

Have you tried adderall or concerta?

Those will curb your appetite

Probably need Adderall anyway.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/08/23 03:27 PM

Decided to wait till after the Super Bowl to start.

told you I was a mental case
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/08/23 05:28 PM

Seems to me the Dr's prescribing a diabetes med just for weight loss would be in jeopardy of losing their license.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/10/23 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Seems to me the Dr's prescribing a diabetes med just for weight loss would be in jeopardy of losing their license.

its FDA approved for weight loss. Its 1/3 the price to go through a mixing pharmacy vs branded Semaglutide

Ozempic is the MFG branded for Diabetes
Wegovy is the MFG branded for weight loss

exact same drug, same strength, different names and different price points

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/10/23 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

its FDA approved for weight loss. Its 1/3 the price to go through a mixing pharmacy vs branded Semaglutide

Thanks for this info, BoBo. It's helpful, give me something to talk about with my dietitian.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/10/23 05:21 PM

THAT IS SO STUPID!!! Walk in the light and be transparent. I hate the games these companies play.

Watching this thread; I have crested 3 bills and HATE it. Working out is helping, but would like to assist as much as possible. Also have to remind myself I didn't get fat overnight; it was just easier than going the other way.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/10/23 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67

THAT IS SO STUPID!!! Walk in the light and be transparent. I hate the games these companies play.

Watching this thread; I have crested 3 bills and HATE it. Working out is helping, but would like to assist as much as possible. Also have to remind myself I didn't get fat overnight; it was just easier than going the other way.

it is what it is in a capitalist country. You could order it overseas for cheaper(canada, india, Euro, Mexico) and maybe or maybe not get the percentage of the actual stuff.

PM sent. the different between Wegovy and mixing pharmacy is Wegovy is a pre-dosage applicator. Mixing is a Vial you pull Cc % from
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/10/23 11:07 PM

Not for me, but good information just as well.
Posted By: TLew

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/14/23 05:36 PM

Buzz, you really need to get your nutritionist to work on what your macros should be. I'm not saying my way is the right way, but I'm not hungry at all on Keto. I've realized that carbs absolutely screw my body up. We aren't all the same though -- I have a colleague who competes in cross fit competitions whose body processes carbs differently and he can't go with out them.

If you go through 3-5 days of food reduction and are still constantly feeling hungry then your macros aren't right. If you can't make it through the 3-5 days for your body to reset then that's a different problem.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/14/23 06:22 PM

I've been doing the Keto thing this year too. Lost 10 lbs in January. I've been cheating a little bit this month, so, I'm just holding steady now. I haven't had a binge eating or gargantuan appetite as you describe, but I understand that it isn't easy. Good luck with your weight loss. If this dietitian isn't able to get results, don't be afraid to find a different one. Good Luck!

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/15/23 04:03 PM

Got Ozempic shot Monday, so far no weird affects.

KETO, like so many of the MILLION "diets" I've been on are just that, DIETS. I'm trying to learn to eat like a normal person. Not Binge thinking I'll never eat again. Common sense stuff now.

Protein, LOTS of veggies and a bit of complex carbs. This several times a day. My dietitian has me eating about 1500 cals a day.

Fat people like me have fought it all their life. I do believe heredity causes some problems. My family was big going way back on my dad's side. But I LOVE good food, I eat too much of it. I will binge on a whole bag of chips, box of donuts. Mostly while no one is watching. Kinda like an alcoholic.

I was in food sales for about 50 years, I'm sure this didn't help.

I'm 70 now. I do want to look good but living a little longer is more important. Luckily, I'm not diabetic. My B.P. and cholesterol are under control.

Getting old hurts but I'm not ready to croak yet.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/16/23 02:08 PM

as someone thats has taken and knows several on it, your expectations of semaglutide as a standalone are pretty high.
Posted By: TLew

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/16/23 03:07 PM

Buzz, I'm living off of 1000 calories a day. The medication will probably help some, but it's all mindset that drives decision making, self control, and results in the end

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/16/23 06:39 PM

I agree TLew. I'm loving these "overnight oats"

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/22/23 03:56 PM

update:
started 292 last Monday, 284 yesterday.

She wants me to lose slower this time. Shes trying to get me to learn how to eat 1/3 protein. 1/3 complex carbs and all the vegetables I can eat.

I use MyFitnessPal on my phone to track each calorie.

Bad thing is, I can't pay $1000 a month on Ozempic. Hopefully Big Pharma and our wonderful government will pull their heads out of their azzes and make this more available and cheaper for the common man. Morbid Obesity (over 36% bodyfat) is not a choice as most "thin" people believe. But let's not go there please.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/22/23 04:40 PM

Buzz, what dosage are you on?

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/26/23 04:06 AM

Morbid Obesity (over 36% bodyfat) is not a choice as most "thin" people believe. But let's not go there please.

I wrestled with commenting on this, not wanting to come off like a jerk but at the same time, feel the need to say something if there is someone out there struggling ( or who is not struggling yet but needs to head things off at the pass so to speak). Barring legitimate medical issues (thyroid issues for instance) and medications that cause weight gain, people need to take responsibility for their habits and behaviors. No one goes to bed at a healthy weight, wakes up and is suddenly 300 lbs. It’s a gradual change. People eat too much, drink too much and exercise too little. Sure, genetics play a factor in body composition, but it’s too easy to blame obesity on “running in your family” and ignoring unhealthy and destructive habits. Lack of self control is a choice. It’s the year 2023, there is zero excuse for a person to not be educated about healthy diet choices and lifestyle. All the info you could ever want is at that touch of your finger tips.

Obesity is an epidemic plaguing this country. Practice healthy eating, exercise and lifestyle habits and teach your children and grandchildren to do the same.

Good luck to everyone struggling with their health, I pray you find an avenue that works for you.
Posted By: presley

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/26/23 09:40 PM

Morbid Obesity (over 36% bodyfat) is not a choice as most "thin" people believe. But let's not go there please.

I wrestled with commenting on this, not wanting to come off like a jerk but at the same time, feel the need to say something if there is someone out there struggling ( or who is not struggling yet but needs to head things off at the pass so to speak). Barring legitimate medical issues (thyroid issues for instance) and medications that cause weight gain, people need to take responsibility for their habits and behaviors. No one goes to bed at a healthy weight, wakes up and is suddenly 300 lbs. It’s a gradual change. People eat too much, drink too much and exercise too little. Sure, genetics play a factor in body composition, but it’s too easy to blame obesity on “running in your family” and ignoring unhealthy and destructive habits. Lack of self control is a choice. It’s the year 2023, there is zero excuse for a person to not be educated about healthy diet choices and lifestyle. All the info you could ever want is at that touch of your finger tips.

Obesity is an epidemic plaguing this country. Practice healthy eating, exercise and lifestyle habits and teach your children and grandchildren to do the same.

Good luck to everyone struggling with their health, I pray you find an avenue that works for you.

Well said
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/27/23 12:39 AM

What is a mixing pharmacy?

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/27/23 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by presley

Well said

if it were this easy. But I'm happy for the people who don't fight this and are at a healthy weight without any addictions. I would imagine this would be nice.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/27/23 12:46 AM

Buzz, what dosage are you on?

two more weeks of .25, lowest dose

Not sure I will continue because of cost. It works very well for me. I'm down 11 lbs. learning to eat "right" is very hard..

My dietitian says she has a coupon but didn't say how much I could save. My pharmacist quoted me $500 a month.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/27/23 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by presley

Well said

if it were this easy. But I'm happy for the people who don't fight this and are at a healthy weight without any addictions. I would imagine this would be nice.

Buzz,

Not trying to bag on you, but you said yourself you are a binge eater. You've posted enough pics of your younger self that showed you were at one time at a healthy weight. So what changed? How much have you exercised in the last 50 years? Did you ever try changing eating habits when you were in your 40's, 50's or 60's?

The root cause of any issue, be it food, sex, drugs, alcohol, etc. is a lack of self control/self discipline. Food is just the drug of choice for many. It's not something that people are born with and powerless to stop or manage with their own devices.

Have you tried hypnosis? In all seriousness I know several people who were lifelong smokers who got hypnotized and they quit cold turkey when they walked out of the room. It may help you.

I'm for any program that will help people get and stay healthy, but the earlier you catch it the easier it is to manage. Again, I'm speaking to the folks who may be listening that know they need to make a life change before they get behind the 8 ball.

Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/27/23 01:57 AM

Something a lot of people don't realize, me included, is the importance of not just counting calories, but paying attention the macro nutrients...I really didn't eat unhealthily the last 10 years, but was eating too much of the good stuff, even though my calories weren't high...My body cannot function properly on a strict protein diet. Until I started eating smaller protein portions and increased my healthy fats and fruits/vegetables, I didn't lose weight. Now, I'm down 105.6 pounds and counting since 9/1/2021; 82 of those coming off since April 2022, when I started paying attention to macros.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/27/23 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by LoneStarSon
Something a lot of people don't realize, me included, is the importance of not just counting calories, but paying attention the macro nutrients...I really didn't eat unhealthily the last 10 years, but was eating too much of the good stuff, even though my calories weren't high...My body cannot function properly on a strict protein diet. Until I started eating smaller protein portions and increased my healthy fats and fruits/vegetables, I didn't lose weight. Now, I'm down 105.6 pounds and counting since 9/1/2021; 82 of those coming off since April 2022, when I started paying attention to macros.

Man that’s amazing !

Did you do any TRT or was it all diet based?

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/27/23 02:38 AM

Man that’s amazing !

Did you do any TRT or was it all diet based?

No. It's all diet and exercise. I spent 2.5 to 3 hours a day in the pool from June through October 15...but other than that, it's been diet. I used to walk at the university a lot, but the arthritis in my hips had gotten worse, so I bought an above ground pool and walked/swam in it instead...

I am anemic, but I use iron supplements, Vitamin b12 and vitamin C to help with that (they are supposed to help with the iron supplement absorption)...other than that, I don't need any medications. My numbers are great in all aspects.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/27/23 01:47 PM

congrats thats getting it.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/27/23 03:44 PM

Good job! I watched a friend of mine go from 410 to 235 (he is 6'-5") over a 30 month period using basic portion control with a careful eye on macro nutrient balance.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/27/23 11:36 PM

what are your percentages of macros LoneStarSon?

I'm using My Fitness Pal APP on my phone. I log in everything I eat. the APP breaks it down by calories, fats, protein and carbs.

my dietician is trying to teach me portion control, basically 1/3 protein, 1/3 complex carbs and really all the vegetables I can eat. Lots of Salmon, Tuna, ground turkey, sardines, chicken breast.

As anyone can see, there are NO cheeseburgers, No Fries, no Mexican food, no 407BBQ, NO cakes, cookies, pies, NO Alcohol, etc.

I do allow myself a "off" day. I will have a few beers, a few Vodka sodas, boiled shrimp, go to a restaurant and have salmon with grilled vegetables, salad dressing on the side. a smallish tenderloin, veggie fajitas, NO chips or tortillas.

So, as you can see people with no metabolism bodies don't process food like others.

I've been fat since I can remember. looking at chubby buzz when I was 10. When I got in Highschool, I found out the best-looking hotties didn't want to roll around with the fat guys. So, then it was all about vanity. I started with plain starvation diets, then dexaitrim, cabbage diets, eating three time a week. This is mental borderline eating disorders through college when I did work out a lot with my intermural and frat brothers. This carried over after college cuz, I needed to get the girls. Then I tried gastric sleeve surgery, lost 120lbs. No one told me, oh, by the way, you need to go to monthly support group meetings. This pretty much wraps my whole lifestyle. ALL or NOTHING.

now, I still want to look good but it's more about giving myself a few more years to drive yall nuts.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/28/23 12:01 AM

I'm using My Fitness Pal APP on my phone. I log in everything I eat. the APP breaks it down by calories, fats, protein and carbs.

my dietician is trying to teach me portion control, basically 1/3 protein, 1/3 complex carbs and really all the vegetables I can eat. Lots of Salmon, Tuna, ground turkey, sardines, chicken breast.

As anyone can see, there are NO cheeseburgers, No Fries, no Mexican food, no 407BBQ, NO cakes, cookies, pies, NO Alcohol, etc.

I do allow myself a "off" day. I will have a few beers, a few Vodka sodas, boiled shrimp, go to a restaurant and have salmon with grilled vegetables, salad dressing on the side. a smallish tenderloin, veggie fajitas, NO chips or tortillas.

So, as you can see people with no metabolism bodies don't process food like others.

I've been fat since I can remember. looking at chubby buzz when I was 10. When I got in Highschool, I found out the best-looking hotties didn't want to roll around with the fat guys. So, then it was all about vanity. I started with plain starvation diets, then dexaitrim, cabbage diets, eating three time a week. This is mental borderline eating disorders through college when I did work out a lot with my intermural and frat brothers. This carried over after college cuz, I needed to get the girls. Then I tried gastric sleeve surgery, lost 120lbs. No one told me, oh, by the way, you need to go to monthly support group meetings. This pretty much wraps my whole lifestyle. ALL or NOTHING.

now, I still want to look good but it's more about giving myself a few more years to drive yall nuts.

Generally it's 1/3 protein, 1/3 fats (nuts and avocado primarily), 1/3 carbs from veggies (I don't eat breads or pastas)...but sometimes I will eat 1/3 protein and a bit more fats and less carbs. Depends on my mood. Fats are really important for brain health and our overall health. Or, I might eat a few more fats and a bit less protein, but that's rare.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/28/23 12:02 AM

Oh and while I love ground turkey, I really like ground chicken...less fats and just a really good flavor.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/28/23 12:54 AM

ABC just released an expose’ on Ozempic.

Really worth a watch, it’s helped a lot of people lose weight.

Fingers crossed and a prayer up for you Buzz that this plan works for you

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/28/23 03:08 PM

Buzz biggest thing you have to be careful with Semiglutide is Muscle loss. Supplement Protein as much as you can.

when you cut calories, macros become even more important.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/28/23 11:05 PM

Thanks all for the support, met with dietitian today, she said up my protein a bit. She is happy with my weight loss ,

Ozempic, until Medicare will pay for it is out of my price range. The Doctor over my group, Vitality Weight loss and Wellness, is having me try Metformin. She says it has good weight loss features too.

I've heard Metformin has some goofy after affects?
Posted By: hybridhunter219

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/02/23 06:25 AM

Can someone post about the muscle loss side effect from Ozempic?
Posted By: J.R.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/02/23 03:16 PM

Thanks all for the support, met with dietitian today, she said up my protein a bit. She is happy with my weight loss ,

Ozempic, until Medicare will pay for it is out of my price range. The Doctor over my group, Vitality Weight loss and Wellness, is having me try Metformin. She says it has good weight loss features too.

Buzz, congrats on the weight loss & progress. Keep it up, Man...you can do it.

As for the Metformin - Yes, it led to weight loss for me, but I also made some wholesale changes in my diet, as I had gotten pretty lax.

One thing to keep an eye on (I'll try to keep it PG rated): I know at least six people on it (mostly for Type II), and every one of them has at least one funny/embarrassing story about not making it to the restroom in time. That first 2 years on Metformin, when my body said, "Hey, Bud...you may need to go #2", it meant I had about 90 seconds to find a men's room before I went (whether I wanted to or not). My advice if you get on it: Go before you leave anywhere and carry an extra outfit in your vehicle. You may never need it, but you'll sure be glad you have it if you do.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/02/23 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by hybridhunter219
Can someone post about the muscle loss side effect from Ozempic?

https://amp.smh.com.au/lifestyle/he...se-your-muscles-too-20230130-p5cgio.html

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/02/23 04:19 PM

Buzz, non branded semaglutide is 150-180 a month depending on the dosage. Your doctor needs to use a compounding pharmacy

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/02/23 06:49 PM

One thing to keep an eye on (I'll try to keep it PG rated): I know at least six people on it (mostly for Type II), and every one of them has at least one funny/embarrassing story about not making it to the restroom in time. That first 2 years on Metformin, when my body said, "Hey, Bud...you may need to go #2", it meant I had about 90 seconds to find a men's room before I went (whether I wanted to or not). My advice if you get on it: Go before you leave anywhere and carry an extra outfit in your vehicle. You may never need it, but you'll sure be glad you have it if you do.

I'm already pretty much there already. Thanks !!

BOBO, what's a compounding pharmacy? I'm interested.

Ya, know, it's always a lifestyle change. It's hard, for example. I love the overnight oats; I will eat them every day. But Dinner tonight is three, 5", Low Carb, Whole Grain tortillas with scrambled egg WHITES with picante sauce. Just not exciting as Migas with rice and refrieds

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/02/23 10:20 PM

compounding pharmacy is a pharmacy that has the ability to mix/make special dosages of generic medicines.

Examples
semaglutide
testosterone
ivermectin

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/03/23 01:29 AM

compounding pharmacy is a pharmacy that has the ability to mix/make special dosages of generic medicines.

Examples
semaglutide
testosterone
ivermectin

interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up. Lots of knowledge on here.
Posted By: HuntFish512

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/03/23 09:53 AM

Im glad its working for you with weight loss, IM struggling to keep it for my type 2. Insurance is fighting me tooth and nail. NGL I have found it from people pushing it under the table for weight loss too keep on it as it is helping my sugars a lot, and has helped to curb my appetite as well.
Posted By: der Teufel

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/04/23 10:56 PM

Buzz, good luck with your efforts. I know some folks feel that it's really all down to personal habits, willpower, and character but I'm not in that school of thought. I have some friends whose grandfather married and had two children. Then the wife died and the grandfather remarried. They had two more children. The first two kids were thin as a rail all their lives. The last two struggled with weight all their lives and suffered with diabetes. The kids of the first two are also thin despite eating whatever they want. It seems that genetics plays a large role in a person's weight.

You're trying to do something about it and I encourage you to continue. If it takes something like Ozempic or whatever, go for it.

Good Luck!

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/09/23 07:32 PM

She switched me to Metformin, cheaper than Ozempic, supposed to work as good.

I haven't heard very good things about it though..

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/09/23 11:09 PM

She switched me to Metformin, cheaper than Ozempic, supposed to work as good.

I haven't heard very good things about it though..

From what I've read/heard it can have some...explosive issues. So, be prepared for the bathroom in a hurry and keep clean drawers close by. Good luck.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/17/23 05:07 PM

Keep going in right direction Buzz.

This might sound boring. But I meal prep for lunch Monday-Friday/Saturday.

It’s very simple, Turkey Chili. Two pounds of ground Turkey. Sometimes I do 1 pound of beef 93/7 or venison and 1 pound Turkey.
Chili kit, can of garbanzo, can of green beans, can of tomatoes, can of corn, can of tomato sauce.

It’s about 2800 calories for 6 servings. About 500 calories for lunch. Or dinner.
Posted By: Texican

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 07/10/23 10:53 PM

Any update here?
Posted By: Wytex

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 07/11/23 12:42 PM

While not at your stage I had to loose some weight. Cut out most of the sugar in my diet and switched to bourbon instead of beer.
Down 25 lbs right now, 2 sizes at least in clothes.
Still eating about the same but smaller portions.
Got back into the gym ad well, kind of.

Good luck sir.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 07/11/23 02:56 PM

I will call myself out.

I have always been 'husky'; the stereotypical offensive lineman. Kinda prided myself on being the big guy - although the last few years it has been a self-deprecating joke to beat others to the punchline. Broke 200 as a freshman in HS. Graduated HS at 275, broke three bills as a freshman in college and peaked at 326 playing rugby at 24. Since then I danced with that weight (in my head at least - in actuality it was a gradual gain I talked myself into thinking it wasn't happening). In May I was 43 and looking at a shirt with FIVE Xs in my closet and nothing to wear.

It was my fault; I never stopped eating (and drinking) like a 22 year old lineman and after college/rugby I worked out like a dead person.

Fortunately, mild sleep apnea and moderate to high blood pressure in the low 140s over mid 80s was the worst of my side effects to date. I have gone up and down several times over the years, but the general trend is weight gain to an unacceptable level. I will never forget being in my closet trying to put on jeans and breaking a sweat pulling boots on in May. Hell, last Fall I had to buy new camo in 4x.

I crested 360 in March; 364 to be exact and not too long after I started watching this thread. After some info from members on here (big thanks, Bobo), and consulting with my doctor, I started Semaglutide as a crutch to help get things back in order.

Today, I am wearing a shirt with (only) 2x's in it. Yesterday I wore a belt from Polo that I had given up on in 2008 (why I had a belt for 15 years in my closet over multiple moves is beyond me) - granted it was on the last notch, but I got the MF'er on! This morning I am within one pound of where I was in 2004; two decades ago. I still have a long way to go to get to "healthy" but it feels so much better already. I owe it to my 3 boys to be a better example of healthy living.

I am trying to give myself 'treats' as I hit significant milestones. I was drawn for Colorado archery elk this fall. If I can get under 300 by the Texas dove opener, I will go try to stick a bull with an arrow.

What's even better is my wife is doing this right along side me and I am so proud of her; she looks as youthful as the day we met.
Posted By: LarryCopper

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 07/11/23 04:09 PM

That's awesome HuntnFly67, congrats and keep it up.

I'm not the type of guy that shares private info and I also hesitate to take any medication, but I got something to add here that may help other folks out... so here it goes. Like a lot of folks I was real active and ate and drank anything I wanted through my 20s and stayed thin. 6'4" around 225# with very little body fat. Well, real world came around and we had two kids 13 months apart from each other when we were around 30 yo. There are only so many hours in a day, and between work and being a dad and taking time to workout I could only do two. Started slowly gaining weight, sometimes dieting along the way, and definitely screwing up my metabolism.

A few years ago I hit a breaking point at 300# even though I was working out 10 hours a week. I counted calories and stuck to a 1,500 a day diet. Tried to eat a balanced diet and all that. Worked well for the first month and lost 15#. But, for the next two months I stuck to it and my weight loss stopped. Talk about frustrating. So for those that think being overweight is just a lack of self control, you're wrong. I do admit getting to that point should have been handled and prevented, but once you're there you can get stuck. Your body does anything it can to keep you at your weight. The other factor here is that food is different from drug and alcohol addictions. You HAVE to have some food to survive. It's like making an alcoholic drink one beer a day. Good luck maintaining that.

At the end of last summer my daughter graduated college and it was in those pictures that I didn't recognize the lard arse I was looking at. It's funny how I've always been that way. In my mind's eye or even when I'm looking in the mirror I didn't see it, but for some reason pictures always hit home. Not sure why that is, but my wife and I decided something had to give. She has a work colleague that told here about a drug similar to Ozempic called Mounjaro. She had a lot of good things to say so my wife researched the heck out of it and decided to try it. At the time, there was a coupon so it only cost $25 a month even for the off label use for weight loss. After a month of seeing how my wife's appetite dropped along with her weight, I figured I'd try. Since I started last October I've lost 60#. I haven't noticed the drop in appetite that my wife has had, but it definitely is doing something. I do feel less impulsive to go out to eat for sure. I also used to be that guy that if I'm drinking one beer I'm drinking 12. Don't feel that way any more. The benefit I see is that I can eat a lower calorie diet, even be a little hungry, and my metabolism doesn't shut down. The only issue I've had with it is that on shot day I don't usually sleep as well. Speaking of sleep... an odd thing happened immediately when we started before losing a single pound. We both stopped snoring. I have no idea why or how, but we did.

The coupon expired this month and I have about two months left. I don't have but maybe 10# I could lose from here. I've got ribs showing and veins popping up I haven't seen in 20+ years LOL. Now we have to figure out what to do from here. Most folks that run the year cycle and go cold turkey rebound big time. Their appetite goes nuts and they gain a lot of weight back quickly. We're considering going the compounded route at a maintenance dose to try to prevent that from happening. There's a lot of research that talks about resetting your body's set point. Basically, if you can keep the weight off for a year or two, you're body's default weight gets reset so it won't fight you to maintain it. The stuff ain't cheap, but we feel better than we have in a loooong time and don't want to go back. Hopefully in the near future the newer classes of drugs, which are right around the corner, will be covered at least partially by insurance.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 07/11/23 05:07 PM

big bucks if you're not diabetic. our government doesn't think morbid obesity is a disease.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 07/11/23 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by HuntnFly67
I will call myself out.

I have always been 'husky'; the stereotypical offensive lineman. Kinda prided myself on being the big guy - although the last few years it has been a self-deprecating joke to beat others to the punchline. Broke 200 as a freshman in HS. Graduated HS at 275, broke three bills as a freshman in college and peaked at 326 playing rugby at 24. Since then I danced with that weight (in my head at least - in actuality it was a gradual gain I talked myself into thinking it wasn't happening). In May I was 43 and looking at a shirt with FIVE Xs in my closet and nothing to wear.

It was my fault; I never stopped eating (and drinking) like a 22 year old lineman and after college/rugby I worked out like a dead person.

Fortunately, mild sleep apnea and moderate to high blood pressure in the low 140s over mid 80s was the worst of my side effects to date. I have gone up and down several times over the years, but the general trend is weight gain to an unacceptable level. I will never forget being in my closet trying to put on jeans and breaking a sweat pulling boots on in May. Hell, last Fall I had to buy new camo in 4x.

I crested 360 in March; 364 to be exact and not too long after I started watching this thread. After some info from members on here (big thanks, Bobo), and consulting with my doctor, I started Semaglutide as a crutch to help get things back in order.

Today, I am wearing a shirt with (only) 2x's in it. Yesterday I wore a belt from Polo that I had given up on in 2008 (why I had a belt for 15 years in my closet over multiple moves is beyond me) - granted it was on the last notch, but I got the MF'er on! This morning I am within one pound of where I was in 2004; two decades ago. I still have a long way to go to get to "healthy" but it feels so much better already. I owe it to my 3 boys to be a better example of healthy living.

I am trying to give myself 'treats' as I hit significant milestones. I was drawn for Colorado archery elk this fall. If I can get under 300 by the Texas dove opener, I will go try to stick a bull with an arrow.

What's even better is my wife is doing this right along side me and I am so proud of her; she looks as youthful as the day we met.

Hell Ya!!!!! That a boy!! Time to go kick the [censored] out of the mountains and get a bugling Archery bull on the wall right next to last years!!!!

its just one foot in front of the other,

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 08/02/23 10:18 PM

For those using Semaglutide and live in Fort Worth area...... Who compounds injectables in the FW area?

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 12/18/23 03:26 PM

How quickly does this stuff work? First shot impact?

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 12/18/23 04:02 PM

i cant afford it. it works. just have a plan what you are going to do after you quit taking it.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 12/18/23 04:31 PM

i cant afford it. it works. just have a plan what you are going to do after you quit taking it.

I can't afford the real deal, but the compounded version is much less

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 12/18/23 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Texican
How quickly does this stuff work? First shot impact?

just have a plan what you are going to do after you quit taking it.
THIS 100%!!

I started at a relatively low dose and worked my way up. I stopped temporarily in late Oct / early Nov for a couple of weeks just to see what it was like with only walking. I gained 15-20#s back FAST. My cravings were ridiculous. After the reset, as of this morning I am down 48 since July. Total #s lost since July 63-68#s, if you count the bounce.

I will say, it has been really fun to get back into clothes and camo that I haven't been able to wear in years.

I am going to stay with it through this summer and get with a nutritionist in 2024 to help ween myself off and keep the food intake in check.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 12/18/23 06:23 PM

Good feedback.

Trying to figure out how hard the first shot will hit me. Should I wait until after holidays? Or does it need to build up?

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 12/19/23 10:04 PM

Good feedback.

Trying to figure out how hard the first shot will hit me. Should I wait until after holidays? Or does it need to build up?

not hard

Just remember the biggest issue is muscle loss.

A) you need to exercise
b) since your appetite will be 1/2, its even more important what you eat. Focus on protein.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 12/20/23 12:22 PM

80 yoa, 5’11”, 212 lbs. “ Generally healthy” but not where I would like to be and where I spent my life. I spent most of my life at about 145 with a lot more muscle than fat. Cholesterol issues but I take the pills, eat twice daily and that’s generally healthy stuff. Can’t shed the pounds.

A couple of years ago, my colon busted. Spent 25 days in ICU and then sent home with no muscle tone. I had to sit on my butt, taking it easy, until I was fully healed. Then the Doc said I was healed and could resume my life. I did and got it all back. Lots of cardio and weight lifting.

Most days, I go to the city park and walk a mile. The rest of the time I spend in the recliner watching TV. I gotta get a life or more of a life.

Arthritis set in to my back, legs and thumbs about a year ago. That was supposed to hit everyone else; not me. I’m trying to not let it define my life but it is certainly a consideration and the pain is constant. I try to consider that a penalty for outliving most of the other 1942 models. 2 extra strength Tylenols 3 times a day. Doc says there isn’t much I can do about the leg and back pain/weakness but don’t stop walking until I really can’t do it. I’m still pushing myself and it helps to have a bitchy wife when I get lazy.

Not as alert as I used to be and I know it. Wife drives when we go somewhere together. This stuff was supposed to hit other people; not me.

More health stuff I could whine about but I’ll stop here.

Posted By: bobcat1

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 12/23/23 11:25 PM

Thanks for the tips

I've been on Ozempic for Type 2 Diabetes for 8 months. I take Janumet and Glimepiride also. Lost about 35 pounds. I take Magnesium and a stool softener every day. It will stop you up for sure if you don't.
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 12/23/23 11:36 PM

Buzz, Ozempic has a coupon you can get for a year that makes your prescription $25 copay. You do have to have insurance. I didn't like plain Metformin. Tore my gut up. So I use Janumet... Januvia and Metformin.
Posted By: Mr. 806

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 02:51 PM

Been on it myself about 2.5 months and down 37 pounds. Cost me $180 for a 3 months supply. Just ordered a refill. (Compound pharmacy in Austin) Eating about 1/2 what I am accustomed to....biggest adjustment is the bathroom schedule. Digestion is slowed considerably as the body keeps the "full feeling" around longer. Dr. says 1 - 2 pounds a week in loss is ideal. I lost 19lbs. the first week so right on schedule. Goal is to get down to 200 or so. (229 currently)
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 02:54 PM

My buddy has to take a probiotic because it made him constipated.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock

Dulcolax is my friend about every 4 days.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. 806

what pharmacy in Austin?

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 03:39 PM

what pharmacy in Austin?

Stonegate Pharmacy, 512-707-2300, 2501 W William Cannon, Suite 203

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 06:38 PM

What doseage?

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 06:43 PM

What doseage?

Mine was tiered, Weeks 1 - 4, 5 units, weeks 5 - 8, 10 units, and now 20 units each week. Assume the refill will be at the 20 units once received as well. (typical insulin syringe)

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 06:45 PM

I thought it was in mg? (like 0.25mg, etc.)

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 06:57 PM

Looks to be cc's perhaps:

[Linked Image]

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 07:04 PM

[Linked Image]

10th of a CC reading on the syringe, Your vial should have strength on it. It will read mg per ML. Not all vials are the same strength so your dosage might be different then some else’s fyi

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/29/24 10:59 PM

what pharmacy in Austin?

Stonegate Pharmacy, 512-707-2300, 2501 W William Cannon, Suite 203

Thanks, did you go through your doctor to get the prescription?

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/30/24 02:11 AM

Yes Sir, I did. Talked to my primary about dropping a few pounds and the semaglutide was her idea. Been very pleased so far. I like to cook and certainly like to eat, just smaller portions these days.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/30/24 03:57 PM

Yes Sir, I did. Talked to my primary about dropping a few pounds and the semaglutide was her idea. Been very pleased so far. I like to cook and certainly like to eat, just smaller portions these days.

thanks, im on it

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/31/24 06:30 PM

thanks, im on it

Its a mixing pharmacy, you will have to have a prescription

Revive Rx in houston is another option
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 01/31/24 06:33 PM

thanks, im on it

Its a mixing pharmacy, you will have to have a prescription

Revive Rx in houston is another option

Way2well is who I went through, they have you do extensive blood work and put you on the necessary vitamins.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/07/24 04:46 AM

Here is a Tucker Carlson interview about Ozempic and many other health problems in America. Big pharma is the devil.

https://youtu.be/vzRjkNYT-U8

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/07/24 05:42 AM

Glad is working out for y’all.
I read that it was made using Gila monster venom.
Posted By: jskin

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/09/24 02:52 PM

Have known lots of folks on these drugs. I have not seen one case of a successful exit. Have even seen it lead to further health problems with gastro issues and depression while on it. Those who get off put the weight on 2x. If doing it I would plan on it for a lifetime
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/22/24 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by TLew
Buzz, you really need to get your nutritionist to work on what your macros should be. I'm not saying my way is the right way, but I'm not hungry at all on Keto. I've realized that carbs absolutely screw my body up. We aren't all the same though -- I have a colleague who competes in cross fit competitions whose body processes carbs differently and he can't go with out them.

If you go through 3-5 days of food reduction and are still constantly feeling hungry then your macros aren't right. If you can't make it through the 3-5 days for your body to reset then that's a different problem.

When I went carnivore and lost all my weight I quickly found that I wasn't very hungry and ate only 1 large meal a day with maybe a snack. When I lost the weight and decided to have a cheat day I would be hungry fairly soon after eating carbs.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/22/24 09:48 PM

Ive seen some pretty incredible results on the carnivore one. Don’t know much about it. But a guy I follow on Twitter has been doing it. He lost 130 pounds in a year. He uploads his lab results, is off all medications.

Eric crouch (Bama Bass is his name).
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 02/26/24 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Ive seen some pretty incredible results on the carnivore one. Don’t know much about it. But a guy I follow on Twitter has been doing it. He lost 130 pounds in a year. He uploads his lab results, is off all medications.

Eric crouch (Bama Bass is his name).

I found it was the one diet that I could stick to. No way could I eat as much as they wanted me to though. I lost almost 40 pounds, or 20% of my body weight in just over 3 months (192 down to 154) and after the first couple weeks it didn't even seem like I had to try all that hard. When I got below 155 I didn't like how I looked and decided to go back up to 160-165. I have been there for about 4 months now.

I didn't/don't do the true carnivore though. I will eat eggs, cheese and some vegetables. Just no carbs or sugars.

Except for beer. cheers
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/01/24 06:14 PM

long story of my fight with chronic binge eating. I'm working with a dietitian AND a therapist to find out what makes me this way.

If the worst thing you do is pig out on some bullcrap you’re a good man.

I would argue this- you’ll probably be a big guy the rest if your life. Might as well be big and strong. Get a trainer, lift weights and see how strong you can get. Instead of destroying your digestive system with a new weight loss drug.

You might binge less on a steady diet of whatever you like

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/16/24 06:36 PM

Curious - at what dose did you see results?

Anyone NOT see results?

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/17/24 08:52 PM

I saw instant results personally. 25ml’s is my preferred dose these days. Down 60 pounds since November 1st.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/17/24 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by 10 Gauge
long story of my fight with chronic binge eating. I'm working with a dietitian AND a therapist to find out what makes me this way.

If the worst thing you do is pig out on some bullcrap you’re a good man.

I would argue this- you’ll probably be a big guy the rest if your life. Might as well be big and strong. Get a trainer, lift weights and see how strong you can get. Instead of destroying your digestive system with a new weight loss drug.

You might binge less on a steady diet of whatever you like

I suggest hypnosis. Seriously.

High likelyhood it will take your cravings away

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/17/24 10:37 PM

Anyone NOT see results?

Everyone in my town who is heavy is on it. Seen one girl lose over 100 lbs.

But….they still don’t look great. Lost all muscle tone. They just got skinny, not fit.

Ozempic users have a certain “look” if that makes sense. Just my observations

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/18/24 03:29 AM

Anyone NOT see results?

Everyone in my town who is heavy is on it. Seen one girl lose over 100 lbs.

But….they still don’t look great. Lost all muscle tone. They just got skinny, not fit.

Ozempic users have a certain “look” if that makes sense. Just my observations

"Ozempic Face", Its real. Cause is people losing too much weight too fast. I can see where this could happen as you really don't want to eat much. Almost have to force myself to eat 3oz of turkey and some salad. Doc wants me to start some low resistance cardio (stationary bike) and light weights 3 sets of 10 reps.

I'm on the lowest dosage for this week and next. The doctor should bump me up to the next dosage after my first month is complete.

again, everyone is correct about this being a permanent thing. If you are young and obese, work with your doctor first. If you can't control your food intake, you could have a problem other than just LOVING food.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/18/24 03:31 AM

[Linked Image]

"units" is what my pharmacy calls them. I take 75 units of the lowest power drug now.

Those syringes are insulin syringes, and the markings are in units.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/18/24 01:23 PM

Good luck Buzz, wish you all the best!

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/18/24 01:34 PM

Buzz, are you having to do two injections to get to your dosage? That syringe is a 1/2 cc/ml syringe. Are you injecting a full syringe (50 cc/ml's) then injecting an additional 25 "units"? If that's the case then get 1 cc/ml syringes and you'll just have to inject once to get your prescribed dosage.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/18/24 02:05 PM

Well 90 days in (compound pharmacy) and I have very little to zero results. About to start "real" Wegovy and we will see.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/18/24 05:04 PM

Well 90 days in (compound pharmacy) and I have very little to zero results. About to start "real" Wegovy and we will see.

Thats too bad. I was worried about this too but so far its working. I still have to eat lean meats, protein shakes, salads, tuna, etc. I have no taste for sweets or alcohol.

One syringe, filled to 75 units.

Sorry, I looked again, my syringes are marked different and go to 100 units.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/18/24 06:15 PM

Good luck Amigo! Don't let the naysayers get you off course. I have always lifted weights so no muscle loss for me but have heard that can be a side effect.

Re: starting again with Ozempic - 03/23/24 05:39 PM

great responses from everyone.

Started my 4th week on the lowest dose .25. Saw my fat doctor Thursday, lost 20 lbs. to date. it has slowed a bit, but this is good. She is bumping me up to the next dose starting Friday.

remember I'm 72 so my body is done with Mr. Olympia goals. I'm trying to start some cardio and light weights. I go to the gym just to creep on the younger women in the community. What can I say confused2 clap
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum