Texas Hunting Forum

Cataract Surgery Round Two

Posted By: nsmike

Cataract Surgery Round Two - 12/31/20 05:22 AM

After having cataract surgery three years ago on my left eye I found out today I need to have my right eye done. I started seeing halos at night about three months ago, today, I failed the glare test at my annual eye exam. Last time I had cataract surgery it was because, I had white outs from glare, both times, I was fortunate to be a passenger and not driving. If you start seeing halos, you need to have it checked, my white out in the exam chair today lasted five seconds. That's not something you need to have happen while driving
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 12/31/20 05:23 AM

My dad had both eyes done about 6 or 7 years ago. He said it's way easier to drive at night now.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 12/31/20 05:42 AM

I had both eyes cataract surgeries in 2018, now in Sept 2020 had the left eye Fuchs Dystrophy surgery and planning to get the right eye done in the next couple months or so. For me Cataract made some difference but that Fuchs left eye surgery I am seeing better than I have in a while, the halos are much smaller and vision is a solid 2025 uncorrected.

If you need eye surgery get it done, it can make a world of difference.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 12/31/20 12:36 PM

Had my right eye done several years ago. Left is fine.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 12/31/20 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by kmon1
I had both eyes cataract surgeries in 2018, now in Sept 2020 had the left eye Fuchs Dystrophy surgery and planning to get the right eye done in the next couple months or so. For me Cataract made some difference but that Fuchs left eye surgery I am seeing better than I have in a while, the halos are much smaller and vision is a solid 2025 uncorrected.

If you need eye surgery get it done, it can make a world of difference.

Fuchs is hereditary. My grandmother had it. My mom and a few siblings had it. Children supposedly have about a 50/50 chance.

When I was with Mom at her last visit I asked the Doc if all that I had read was correct and he said yes, asked me my age, which at the time was upper 50's. We were literally walking out the door with this conversation and he told me to hop in the chair. He looked at my eyes and told me he was pretty sure I was in the clear and wouldn't have it.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 12/31/20 09:57 PM

Good luck sir

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 01/01/21 03:10 AM

Surgery and recovery went well last time, I'm scheduled for measurements on Monday, then the IOL gets ordered and surgery scheduled. I'm going with a premium IOL so it may or may not be available locally. I have a choice of two and have to decide between them. I read up on both of them and have a couple of questions.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 01/05/21 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by nsmike
Surgery and recovery went well last time, I'm scheduled for measurements on Monday, then the IOL gets ordered and surgery scheduled. I'm going with a premium IOL so it may or may not be available locally. I have a choice of two and have to decide between them. I read up on both of them and have a couple of questions.

Which lenses were offered? I know a thing or two about those things

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 01/05/21 08:31 PM

AcrySof.IQ Vivity or PanOptix. I told the tech that my priorities are, computer use, then close vision, then distance. I have an Acrysof Restor IOL in my left eye. I left it up to the Doctor to choose the best match.

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 01/05/21 08:53 PM

I would opt for the panoptix in that situation. Will be closest to the restor and give better intermediate as well. The combo should give great near, good to great distance, and good intermediate. Plus, the vivity is only available right now in certain powers, I am sure you were in that range if it was offered. hopefully the cost difference was the same.

If you told me distance was priority I would suggest vivity.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 01/05/21 08:57 PM

In case yall arent aware, this is what TexBuck does for a living.

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 01/06/21 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I would opt for the panoptix in that situation. Will be closest to the restor and give better intermediate as well. The combo should give great near, good to great distance, and good intermediate. Plus, the vivity is only available right now in certain powers, I am sure you were in that range if it was offered. hopefully the cost difference was the same.

If you told me distance was priority I would suggest vivity.

That was my thought. I use the computer a lot and make jewelry as a hobby.

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/08/21 10:45 PM

Wish me luck I'm having the procedure tomorrow morning.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/08/21 10:57 PM

Good luck
Posted By: freerange

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/09/21 02:07 AM

Good luck.

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/09/21 03:19 PM

So today is the day, pray all goes well and speedy with clear vision recovery.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/09/21 06:01 PM

good luck!!

cataract question. if you wear glasses. do you still need the after cataract surgery?

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/09/21 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
good luck!!

cataract question. if you wear glasses. do you still need the after cataract surgery?

It depends on if you pay for a multifocal IOL if you do cheaters at worst.

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/09/21 07:00 PM

The procedure went well. It's still a bit blurry but that may be because of the dilation. I'll know more tomorrow.

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/09/21 08:52 PM

Took me a couple days to start seeing better, in the eye that did not have problems from it.

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/15/21 03:33 PM

What lens did you end up with and how did everything go? Pm if you don’t want to talk publicly

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/15/21 05:06 PM

I ended up with the Vivity everything went well. I notice that I'm using my right eye more and have really good vision from about 24 inches out. I had 20/40 vision, at my day after checkup, which was exactly what was expected, it's continued to get better. It's day seven after surgery so things can still get a bit better. I had one time I needed some ibuprofen, I had developed a minor scratch on the cornea near the incision site, I was told it would heal in a day a half and haven't had any pain since.

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/15/21 05:26 PM

Good to read that, mine recovered to 20-25 vision at its best, I can live with that.

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 02/15/21 11:34 PM

I'll have to update this Mar 3 when I get the final vision numbers. I'm already doing a lot better with glare.

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 03/03/21 06:56 PM

Final result no need for glasses distance vision is 20/25 and reading 20/40 if I'm straining I could use +1.25 but increasing the lighting will work as well.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 03/03/21 07:12 PM

up
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Cataract Surgery Round Two - 03/04/21 04:11 AM

YES !!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum