Texas Hunting Forum

Double Knee Replacement

Posted By: Sniper.270

Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 01:42 AM

I just got home from having my knees replaced today. So far, it’s been a walk in the park. Mind you, a walk in a park in the bad side of town, but not bad at all. Doc and all my team said how amazing it went and how well I was doing.

What can I expect in the next few days? I know the good juice will wear off soon. Any tricks of the trade? I start PT Wednesday.

Thanks in advance for any sharing of getting through this.

On a side note. God is so so good. I went on my last hunt yesterday evening at the lease and I got to shoot a pretty big ol boar.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 01:48 AM

PT will be hell, but after all is said and done you'll be glad you had it done. Speedy recovery.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 01:49 AM

Fingers crossed.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 01:51 AM

A crap load of pain when the nerve blocks wear off around midnight, lots of ice ahead of time, during and after they wear off. Stay ahead of it with the pain meds but it will start getting better fairly soon. If you can find 2 ice machines you will pay dearly with the relief they bring but otherwise ice ice ice and more ice!!
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 01:54 AM

I'm 3 weeks out from 1 knee. Stay up with your pain meds even if you think you don't need them. Stool softener is a must when taking said meds. Stretching is more important than walking.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 01:59 AM

I have no idea but here's to a quick recovery.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 02:16 AM

I've been in the OR while a total knee replacement was being performed. I can now say, I Know why you are gonna be sore. It has to do with drills, and hammers!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 03:05 AM

thanks SA cant wait

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
I've been in the OR while a total knee replacement was being performed. I can now say, I Know why you are gonna be sore. It has to do with drills, and hammers!

Amen brother. My wife used to be an orthopedic surgery nurse. Once in a while I would call her and she would answer. I swear it sounded like a construction zone. Saws, drills, hammers, and probably Jack hammers. One of the reasons I waited so long, I was skeered!

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 03:12 PM

think having someone strong with you during recovery/rehab is huge.

i live alone and will have to have a nurse come to my house a couple times a day.

my gf cant do it

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper.270

Amen brother. My wife used to be an orthopedic surgery nurse. Once in a while I would call her and she would answer. I swear it sounded like a construction zone. Saws, drills, hammers, and probably Jack hammers. One of the reasons I waited so long, I was skeered!

Yeah, my mom was an OR nurse, she is the one that got me into see it..... very brutal. This was 30 years ago maybe it has gotten better.....

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
thanks SA cant wait

Buzz short term it will suck, but when I worked in radiology everyone that I took for post op total knee x-rays said they should of done it sooner. Unlike back surgeries where it seemed to be hit or miss. Some actually regretted have the surgery. Good luck im sure you'll be fine up

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
thanks SA cant wait

Buzz short term it will suck, but when I worked in radiology everyone that I took for post op total knee x-rays said they should of done it sooner. Unlike back surgeries where it seemed to be hit or miss. Some actually regretted have the surgery. Good luck im sure you'll be fine up

thanks, i have seen one done on film. i was hoping the surgery was less violent nowadays. violin

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/29/20 11:43 PM

I still haven't watched videos of the procedure and never will. Just watching when they removed 50-60 staples was enough for me.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/30/20 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
I'm 3 weeks out from 1 knee. Stay up with your pain meds even if you think you don't need them. Stool softener is a must when taking said meds. Stretching is more important than walking.

Right on Jimbo. That was the protocol for both of my TKR's. To say there was bruising would be an understatement in my case. After 6 weeks though I was doing great....a new man. It was worth the trouble and pain for sure.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/30/20 01:14 AM

Well about 24 hours since I got home yesterday evening. Pain is not near as bad as expected. The soreness is way greater than I expected. I developed a cough and a low grade fever. Feel good though for the most part. Have my first PT tomorrow.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/30/20 01:21 AM

Good luck Sniper and hang in there. Do the PT. I was very disappointed in the communication I got on my PT on rotator cuff surgery. I assumed they were pros and would tell me everything I needed to know. I would ask a lot of questions at PT and do not assume they will tell you all the details. I learned no one cares as much about me as me so you have to make sure all bases are covered.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/30/20 01:27 AM

Obviously you will keep an eye on it but be diligent on taking note of any signs of infection. It’s pretty rare but I went down that road and that’s not anything I’d wish on anyone.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/30/20 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
Obviously you will keep an eye on it but be diligent on taking note of any signs of infection. It’s pretty rare but I went down that road and that’s not anything I’d wish on anyone.

Yep, this was/is my DR's greatest concern. Rare, but get on it quickly.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/30/20 02:39 AM

Infection and blood clots........wear those freaking leotard stockings like they tell you to.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/30/20 04:26 AM

Well about 24 hours since I got home yesterday evening. Pain is not near as bad as expected. The soreness is way greater than I expected. I developed a cough and a low grade fever. Feel good though for the most part. Have my first PT tomorrow.

Your body flushing out the Anesthesia.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/30/20 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jgraider
Infection and blood clots........wear those freaking leotard stockings like they tell you to.

Mine ripped after 2 weeks. Walmart has 2 pair for $8.99. Much better than the hospital issued and you can have a pair on while washing the other.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/30/20 06:01 PM

Thinking about you Sniper.
Who did your surgery? Where doing PT? I know some Docs from your part of the world.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 12/30/20 06:47 PM

DeVinney did both knees with the Mayo robot. I am trying the virtual PT to start. First one today at 3. See how that goes. I have been walking and doing the exercises they showed me. Today I am much better. No real pain at all. Just some depending on the movement. Pain pumps are out and all seems good. The pain meds tear my stomach up but that’s worst part.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/02/21 03:48 PM

Gots a friend who has been in thousands of TNRs. He says the number one factor in an unpleasant outcome is the lack of paying attention to the PT. Be mindful & diligent without over doing it. Sniper, here's hoping others are trying to keep up with you soon.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/03/21 03:06 AM

Thank you sir. I pray you are correct. I believe God is giving me an opportunity to refocus and serve in a far greater capacity.

Has been a bit of a hitch here. The wife who took off to help me get through the tough days has gotten the Rona. She has been out of commission since day two after my surgery. So I am working through it all and am doing very well. PT is good and the site is looking good. I did make the mistake of googling getting Covid after surgery. Well the Covid may get me, which is a given. Ha. But if I survive that I discovered that I may also have several other terminal diseases to boot. One should never google medical issues.

But seriously, the site and replacements are good. Not a lot of pain at all. Now the muscles around the knees, my thigh muscles, oh goodness, it is a soreness that I have never imagined. They must have twisted and abused the surrounding muscles like crazy. My faith is greater than any fears and God is so good. I am blessed to have legs to hurt. Many don’t. I am blessed that God is providing and gave me the ability to get new knees. All credit to Jehovah Rapha, the Healer.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/03/21 01:58 PM

Thank you sir. I pray you are correct. I believe God is giving me an opportunity to refocus and serve in a far greater capacity.

Has been a bit of a hitch here. The wife who took off to help me get through the tough days has gotten the Rona. She has been out of commission since day two after my surgery. So I am working through it all and am doing very well. PT is good and the site is looking good. I did make the mistake of googling getting Covid after surgery. Well the Covid may get me, which is a given. Ha. But if I survive that I discovered that I may also have several other terminal diseases to boot. One should never google medical issues.

But seriously, the site and replacements are good. Not a lot of pain at all. Now the muscles around the knees, my thigh muscles, oh goodness, it is a soreness that I have never imagined. They must have twisted and abused the surrounding muscles like crazy. My faith is greater than any fears and God is so good. I am blessed to have legs to hurt. Many don’t. I am blessed that God is providing and gave me the ability to get new knees. All credit to Jehovah Rapha, the Healer.

Man, you've been through a lot with this. I just had one knee done and can't imagine having both done at once.
My thigh muscle was totally lost in the beginning but at almost 4 weeks now it's getting stronger. I think the bicycle riding during therapy will help the most.
Good luck with your recovery and hope your wife gets better sooner than later.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/26/21 01:59 AM

I am at 4 weeks today. All seems very good and no issues other than I am tired of being sidelined.
Most of my pain is gone at this point. Does hurt when I go from sitting to standing. Inside the knee has started feeling more tender, it’s not the muscles, it’s like the hardware hurts or is tender. It’s the only areas that still smart some. Believe it’s just the healing process and timetable. My PT still says we are way ahead of schedule. God is good.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/26/21 04:41 AM

Sniper how old are you? would you suggest doing both at once? I'll be 69 when I get at least one of them done. both need total replacement.
Buzz

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/26/21 10:16 PM

Just turned 55 yesterday. I would not recommend getting both done at one time. Now that I am at week four out and all has gone really well, I can say I am glad I did. It’s over hopefully. If I had to do again, I would not get both done at once. Mine went problem free but the first 3 weeks kicked my butt. I like to think I have a pretty good pain tolerance, but it was tough. The real issue is how much they have to manipulate the leg to get the surgery done. I hurt from my hips to my ankles. Mine has turned into the surgery area, swelling, and manipulation pain has gone, the new knee parts are very sore. It feels much more tinder the last couple days than before.
Honestly, I got both done at once because of how much it saved me on my insurance.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/28/21 10:00 PM

Went to my doctor yesterday and he gave me the all clear to pretty much do what I can do. Spent most of day doing some errands. Went to chiropractor, the pool store, vet to get monthly meds for my boxers, donated blood, got my truck inspected, then finished up the day with a hair cut. Man it was good to be able to get out and do a few things.

He showed me the X-rays of my new knees and I was surprised at how much hardware they put in there.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/28/21 10:33 PM

Glad you're doing good up

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/28/21 11:05 PM

Good to hear. You're doing better than me .I feel like it's day 3 all over again.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/28/21 11:46 PM

Man I hate to hear that. Things have gone well for me and I still was not handling it well. I cannot imagine having the set backs. Not only is it brutal physically, the mental beating is what I dealt with most. Will continue to say a prayer for your recovery and quick turn around.

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 01/29/21 12:00 AM

You aren't kidding about the mental aspect of this thing. Lot's of second guessing. Makes me think of being a nursing home patient confined to their bed. I think I'm going to make it...eventually.

You keep on keeping on!

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 02/22/21 07:34 PM

Well I may have set myself back. Had a copper pipe burst in the cold spell. Was walking out to barn to get my soldering tool box. Snow was covering a small “hole” and when I stepped in it the left knee twisted and gave way. Instant pain. I can tell something ain’t right. Hurts all way down calf. Standing is a pain. Once I get up and walking it’s not so bad. Seems like it won’t straighten as much as it was. Oh well have a doctors appointment soon. Will see.
I hate snow!

Re: Double Knee Replacement - 02/23/21 12:13 AM

Well I may have set myself back. Had a copper pipe burst in the cold spell. Was walking out to barn to get my soldering tool box. Snow was covering a small “hole” and when I stepped in it the left knee twisted and gave way. Instant pain. I can tell something ain’t right. Hurts all way down calf. Standing is a pain. Once I get up and walking it’s not so bad. Seems like it won’t straighten as much as it was. Oh well have a doctors appointment soon. Will see.
I hate snow!

Oh man. that's a shame. You were doing so good. Hoping for the best.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum