Texas Hunting Forum

Getting older

Posted By: 603Country

Getting older - 12/20/20 02:49 AM

My oldest younger brother called me yesterday to chat, and he mentioned how much he had slowed down from 65 to his present 71. Well...yes...me too. In an attempt to slow down my loss of muscle mass, I’m back on the weights. Been using the same free standing weight stack for maybe 35 years. It’s losing some shine, as am I.

But, it was this morning, after I finished with the weights when something occurred to me. In my 40’s and 50’s I’d get up at 5 am, lift, shower and go to work. Now I lift, shower, and need a nap.

But, like Joe Pike, in the Robert Crais’s novels (if you know who that is), I keep moving forward.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Getting older - 12/20/20 11:31 AM

Onward and ever forward.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Getting older - 12/20/20 02:14 PM

I feel a day younger this morning after my walk.
Posted By: don k

Re: Getting older - 12/20/20 02:24 PM

Only thing about getting old is that your brain doesn't realize it but your body does.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Getting older - 12/20/20 03:10 PM

Ain’t that the truth!
Posted By: Old Shakie

Re: Getting older - 12/20/20 04:14 PM

I was going to respond to your post but I can't remember what I was going to say.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Getting older - 12/20/20 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by don k
Only thing about getting old is that your brain doesn't realize it but your body does.

That’s the truth
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Getting older - 12/20/20 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
My oldest younger brother called me yesterday to chat, and he mentioned how much he had slowed down from 65 to his present 71. Well...yes...me too. In an attempt to slow down my loss of muscle mass, I’m back on the weights. Been using the same free standing weight stack for maybe 35 years. It’s losing some shine, as am I.

But, it was this morning, after I finished with the weights when something occurred to me. In my 40’s and 50’s I’d get up at 5 am, lift, shower and go to work. Now I lift, shower, and need a nap.

But, like Joe Pike, in the Robert Crais’s novels (if you know who that is), I keep moving forward.

One comment as we get older we need to pay attention to nutrition we need 20% more protein, vitamins and minerals aren't absorbed as well, supplements might be required. I had a bout with anemia, because my B 12 was low, so I take Iron and B 12 supplements.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Getting older - 12/20/20 10:31 PM

see below
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Getting older - 12/21/20 04:04 AM

i hung on my Iron Man 5000 for three minutes, twice today.

GTS
Posted By: Blank

Re: Getting older - 12/21/20 06:28 AM

I just turned 70 this year, and am seeing some changes. Medically, I'm in great shape and don't take anything; slow pulse of 60, BP 100/60, cholesterol about 170 and A1C is in the 5's. . Was way over weight after 4 years of drinking in retirement, but got that in control and lost 70#. I'm enjoying walking again..

What I notice is not so much new problems, but all the old ones and injuries coming back to haunt me now. Broken bones, torn ligaments, knee repairs seem to ache a lot more!
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Getting older - 12/21/20 08:59 PM

so I'm not the only one...

Re: Getting older - 12/21/20 09:02 PM

I don't have many problems but I watch my step.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Getting older - 12/21/20 09:09 PM

Do you take any test. supps?

Re: Getting older - 12/21/20 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

No.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Getting older - 12/21/20 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

No.

I was asking 603
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Getting older - 12/21/20 09:25 PM

I hope you mean supplements and not suppositories. grin

Re: Getting older - 12/21/20 10:59 PM

I take a pill daily for tryglicerides and a mild one for blood pressure. Nothing other than that, except a vitamin pill when I feel a bit puny.

Somebody on the forum mentioned Melatonin as a sleep aid. I tried it a couple of times with no noticeable result, but took one last night and slept like a rock, and I don’t normally stay asleep all night. I’ll try it again.

Re: Getting older - 12/21/20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
I take a pill daily for tryglicerides and a mild one for blood pressure. Nothing other than that, except a vitamin pill when I feel a bit puny.

Somebody on the forum mentioned Melatonin as a sleep aid. I tried it a couple of times with no noticeable result, but took one last night and slept like a rock, and I don’t normally stay asleep all night. I’ll try it again.

You're gonna live forever, not a problem. Take the vitamin every day.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Getting older - 12/22/20 05:31 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Getting older - 12/22/20 02:56 PM

Delusional.

Re: Getting older - 12/27/20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
[Linked Image]

😊
Posted By: freerange

Re: Getting older - 12/27/20 09:00 PM

I turned 68 last week. I really noticed a difference 5 or 6 years ago. Always in great health and take no medicine. Early 60s when I started getting tired more often and just couldnt do physical work as easy also corresponded with not sleeping good. Im not complaining about anything. Im retired so if im a little tired or cant do physical work as easy it just not that much of a negative. I used to out work the young guys at the deer lease but I cant do that anymore. I tried last year and thats what killed both my rotator cuffs.
As for Joe Pike, Im about a dozen books in and love them. I just got 3 more in mail other day. I just finished the first one where it features Joe and not Elvis. While I was waiting on the Elvis books I went back to Spenser where Im about 15 into about 70. Spenser and Hawk and Susan are in Vegas at the moment. Of course ive known about Joe going forward with his red arrows since book one. Im counting those guys bullet holes and wondering if theyll get shot as often as Matt Dillon.

Re: Getting older - 12/28/20 05:03 PM

It gets to everyone over time. The sons are 45 and 39 now, and over the Holidays we were reminiscing about hunting. We continue to hunt elk in the mountains, bone them out and back pack them to the truck. My boys used to carry 120#, and I was good for 75-90. Now we all agree that TWO trips with 80 and 60 is much better, and we only hurt until the next one is down!!! smile

Re: Getting older - 12/28/20 10:21 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Getting older - 12/28/20 10:54 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Getting older - 01/01/21 02:15 PM

Recently turned 78. Knees are shot from using bad judgement on a ladder. Had surgery on one that didn’t work. Feet hurt, losing more hair, back problems from polio as a kid is getting worse, cholesterol problems.

What used to stand and watch me shave now hangs and watches me tie my shoes.

There’s more.

Re: Getting older - 01/01/21 03:35 PM

Dang, Dave, that’s a list of ailments, but hopefully you’ll be like what my grandmother told me about a distant relative. She said he was so tough that eventually she figured we’d all have to just beat him to death.

Re: Getting older - 01/11/21 02:22 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: glens

Re: Getting older - 01/11/21 09:32 PM

Yeah Boys, ain't none of us are getting out alive.

Re: Getting older - 01/11/21 11:59 PM

Another one.

[Linked Image]

Re: Getting older - 01/12/21 01:06 PM

603, if I ever quit saying “Hold my beer and watch this.” They can just go ahead and plant me.

Re: Getting older - 01/13/21 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
603, if I ever quit saying “Hold my beer and watch this.” They can just go ahead and plant me.

🤠
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Getting older - 01/13/21 04:39 AM

I have a pretty good feeling that I won't live to be an old man, but I sure do respect and appreciate you old fellers. yingyang

Re: Getting older - 01/14/21 10:11 PM

Don't worry Skinner, you'll be the crotchety old codger in the rocker at the nursing home using your cane to lift the nurse's skirts.

Re: Getting older - 01/15/21 04:28 AM

roflmao

Re: Getting older - 01/15/21 12:29 PM

I resemble that.

Re: Getting older - 01/15/21 03:20 PM

I laid down on the floor on my belly last night, to do a pushup. Couldn't do it, so I rolled over to do sit ups. That didn't work either, so I just curled up in a ball on my side. Found that's a lot easier way to get your knees under you, to get back up!!! Who knew???
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Getting older - 01/15/21 05:08 PM

Just raising my hand

And dont need 4 postings to do it
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Getting older - 01/15/21 05:09 PM

At age 78 the loss of strength in the last 2 years is my most noticeable factor to do with age. Not the only but most noticeable.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Getting older - 01/15/21 10:45 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: freerange

Re: Getting older - 01/15/21 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by DannyB
[Linked Image]

That is a good one.
Posted By: Hooker

Re: Getting older - 01/16/21 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Hooker
Just raising my hand

And dont need 4 postings to do it

However, I have fallen lately (and with 327 manifest parachute jumps, I have fallen ioften), now my Dr is my Jump Master

Re: Getting older - 01/19/21 03:19 AM

As Wilhunt says, loss of strength is obvious. Got a crossbow for XMAS. Haven't messed with stick and string in over 40 years. Can't [censored] it. That was a surprise. I think they make cocking devices that I'll either buy or sell the damn thing.

Re: Getting older - 01/19/21 12:24 PM

Need help getting this stupid off the jar. Seems as if they put them on there tighter everyday. bang
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Getting older - 01/19/21 04:51 PM

Need help getting this stupid off the jar. Seems as if they put them on there tighter everyday. bang

My mom would ask the cashier to open all her jars when she checked out.
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Getting older - 01/20/21 10:48 AM

robotwist.com

Re: Getting older - 01/20/21 11:28 PM

Never more true than now!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: Getting older - 01/26/21 04:54 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Getting older - 01/27/21 10:06 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Getting older - 01/28/21 06:18 PM

I still go to the gym 4-5 days a week, usually 3 days of upper body weights and two days of cardio and legs. Still at my fighting weight of 170# and 6'. Actually the wife thinks I'm too skinny but I feel great.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Getting older - 02/04/21 05:11 PM

I have come to realize that getting older is not for wimps.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Getting older - 02/04/21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by copperhead
I have come to realize that getting older is not for wimps.

You aint just whistling Dixie!

Re: Getting older - 02/04/21 07:59 PM

I’m off in a bit to the tennis court, to work with the JV kids. I’m debating whether to take two Advil now, or when I get back. Probably now is best. The honey-do list has whupped me a bit today. The wife has gone into her Energizer Bunny phase, and I’m expected to do her bidding instantly and without question. That’s an impossible ask for me, so there are some verbal issues.

Re: Getting older - 02/06/21 03:33 PM

Wifeypoo keeps hiring people to perform the tasks I used to do. Hope she leaves one for me.

Re: Getting older - 02/06/21 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Wifeypoo keeps hiring people to perform the tasks I used to do. Hope she leaves one for me.

Which one? Don't make me guess. bolt
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Getting older - 02/06/21 05:03 PM

Which one? Don't make me guess. bolt

peep

Re: Getting older - 02/06/21 11:00 PM

Sometime I forget what I just posted.

Also, sometimes I forget what I just posted.

Re: Getting older - 02/07/21 02:45 PM

eeks333 roflmao

Re: Getting older - 02/07/21 03:27 PM

Are there gigiloes in NB?

Re: Getting older - 02/07/21 06:19 PM

While working for an organization that delivers lunches to elderly shut-ins, she used to take her 4-year-old daughter on my afternoon rounds. She was unfailingly intrigued by the various appliances of old age, particularly the canes, walkers and wheelchairs. One day she found her staring at a pair of false teeth soaking in a glass. As she braced hersel for the inevitable barrage of questions, she merely turned and whispered, 'The tooth fairy will never believe this!'

Re: Getting older - 02/07/21 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket

No, they all drive in from San Mucous

Re: Getting older - 02/07/21 07:26 PM

I have faith in you Hud. You can do this. Modern medicine has made great strides in this department. (Actually, it was an accidental side effect, while trying to develop something else, but who am I to complain! 'Just wish I'd bought stock in them at the time.) up

Re: Getting older - 02/07/21 08:21 PM

roflmao

Re: Getting older - 02/22/21 01:13 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Getting older - 02/22/21 07:16 PM

the cat eats good
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum