Texas Hunting Forum

Supplements

Posted By: aerangis

Supplements - 06/21/20 12:06 AM

I've got a small group of friends who are all part of the same clique (docs) and they all look significantly younger that their ages, without the use of surgery. One of the things they have in common is eating little red meat, lots of cold water fish, vegetables and supplements. Ive been taking the same supplements they do for quite some time and some of the more pronounced changes Ive seen is a drop in BP, bad LDL, blood sugar, and my blood being much thinner, yet still capable of quickly clotting.

I have to stick myself 5 or 6 times a day to check glucose and whereas before my blood would be thick, dark and viscous, now its lighter in color and a small drop will run down my finger like water. Apparently, its much easier to pump which is good for your heart.

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 12:14 AM

Only B-12 for me.

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Only B-12 for me.

Why B12 and no others?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by aerangis
I've got a small group of friends who are all part of the same clique (docs) and they all look significantly younger that their ages, without the use of surgery. One of the things they have in common is eating little red meat, lots of cold water fish, vegetables and supplements. Ive been taking the same supplements they do for quite some time and some of the more pronounced changes Ive seen is a drop in BP, bad LDL, blood sugar, and my blood being much thinner, yet still capable of quickly clotting.

I have to stick myself 5 or 6 times a day to check glucose and whereas before my blood would be thick, dark and viscous, now its lighter in color and a small drop will run down my finger like water. Apparently, its much easier to pump which is good for your heart.

Which supplements?

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 12:30 AM

I mow my lawn with my shirt off to get the sunshine vitamin. I take B-12 for more iron.

". What is vitamin B12 and what does it do?

Vitamin B12 is a nutrient that helps keep the body’s nerve and blood cells healthy and helps make DNA, the genetic material in all cells. Vitamin B12 also helps prevent a type of anemia called megaloblastic anemia that makes people tired and weak.

Two steps are required for the body to absorb vitamin B12 from food. First, hydrochloric acid in the stomach separates vitamin B12 from the protein to which vitamin B12 is attached in food. After this, vitamin B12 combines with a protein made by the stomach called intrinsic factor and is absorbed by the body. Some people have pernicious anemia, a condition in which they cannot make intrinsic factor. As a result, they have trouble absorbing vitamin B12 from all foods and.

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 12:45 AM

6000mg of omega-3
5000iu of D3
Multi vitamin
Sulfuraphane
K2
Resveratrol
Zinc
and an antiinflammatory cocktail.

I do the K2 to reverse calcium deposits where they dont need to be (hardnening of the arteries). My last calcium score was 11.3, apparently it works.

Posted By: nsmike

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 01:01 AM

Be careful with B12 it can screw up your hemoglobin. Too much can be just as bad as too little. If your over 50, you need to increase the recommended protein by about 20%, more if you workout heavily. My recommended protein intake is 60 grams I shoot for 80.

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by nsmike
Be careful with B12 it can screw up your hemoglobin. Too much can be just as bad as too little. If your over 50, you need to increase the recommended protein by about 20%, more if you workout heavily. My recommended protein intake is 60 grams I shoot for 80.

I never took any supplements in my life until my last doctors visit. He took a blood test and recommended it.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 02:49 PM

Define what you are calling supplements?

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 03:03 PM

hmmm. I guess you call health or nutritional supplements. I listed a few Im taking, am I missing something?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by aerangis
hmmm. I guess you call health or nutritional supplements. I listed a few Im taking, am I missing something?

I see now

I used to take liquid multivitamin and sublingual b12, Did it for years and years, it did make my urine fluorescent yellow, got off them for a couple of years now and don't feel any different, seems as if it was waste of time and money.

From my research unless you have some type of medical condition, all that supplement stuff is a waste of time/effort. We in the USA have enough food here that our bodies get all it needs from our diet.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Define what you are calling supplements?

Any nutrient you take, that you don't get from food is a supplement, vitamins, minerals, proteins, and fatty acids like omega threes all qualify.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 10:38 PM

genetics play a large part in aging.

Some people age well some don't.

That said, I'm on a cocktail of supps to help ward off aging.

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Check out Buzz. He will tell you younger women
cheers

Re: Supplements - 06/21/20 11:10 PM

Same here. And yes, genetics play a HUGE part of aging and are a factor in a number of age related morbidities.

What I found fascinating is a group of guys (all md's)who have been friends for years that arent related and all take the exact same supplements for health and senescence. And every damn one looks like they're in their late 30's to early 40's when their ages are mid 50's up to 72 yo.

I was socializing with them a number of years ago at a bbq and got sick after eating and one pointed out something and then the others crowded around like mother hens. They asked about my physicals and bloodwork and I happened to have copies of it on my ipad. Next thing I know their asking questions and then one of them writes me a script for some tests and BAM, I was found to have a type of diabetes that isnt always apparent when you fast before bloodwork. My own family doc that Ive known for years didnt catch it despite the fact I was symptomatic, though not neccessarily in a way that was obvious. Fortunately, one of the guys is brilliant and a sponge for knowledge outside his area of specialty which is cardiothoracic anesthesiology and does research into metabolic diseases which happens to be a factor in senescence and inflammation.

There's a lot of truth in taking supplements and taking them for anti-aging. I used to think it was BS to get people to spend money needlessly but not any more. Parts of my body that used to not work well now works as well as it did when I was a young man. Vision is one.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Supplements - 06/22/20 01:06 AM

I bet a lot of your doctor friends are on HGH or test replacement therapy.

Re: Supplements - 06/22/20 01:16 AM

I bet a lot of your doctor friends are on HGH or test replacement therapy.

Test, yes. I'm on a regimen of supplemental test as well.

HGH, no. It carries a significant risk of tumors and other health risks once you hit your 30's.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Supplements - 06/23/20 12:53 AM

Thanks for sharing. I take many of the same daily except for the Vit D. I get plenty from being outside.

Re: Supplements - 06/23/20 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
Thanks for sharing. I take many of the same daily except for the Vit D. I get plenty from being outside.

2500 mg of D3 has a prophylactic effect against becoming infected with the SARS-cov-2 virus. Obviously, if you dont get the virus you wont get Covid.

I take a little more than double that daily.
Posted By: soooo

Re: Supplements - 06/23/20 11:22 AM

What is that?
Posted By: soooo

Re: Supplements - 06/26/20 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by soooo

What is that?

Let me rephrase, what ingredients are in the cocktail?
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Supplements - 06/26/20 01:39 AM

What is that?

I'd be interested as well. Have one ankle swelling and nothing except steroids'will take it down. Dr doesn't feel it's a problem but I do.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Supplements - 07/01/20 04:40 AM

I take daily

centrum complete multivitamin
B12
Niacin B3
B6
Creatine
MSM
Turmeric
BCAA
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Supplements - 07/02/20 04:23 PM

Mult-B vitamin
CoQ-10
D3, 5000 iu
Krill oil (Omega 3)
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Supplements - 07/06/20 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

What is that?

I'd be interested as well. Have one ankle swelling and nothing except steroids'will take it down. Dr doesn't feel it's a problem but I do.

I'd certainly be interested also.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Supplements - 07/10/20 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

What is that?

Heart, liver, or kidney disease can cause that. I'd be worried too.

Re: Supplements - 07/10/20 01:49 PM

Antiinflammatory supplements are..

Curcumin
Chondroiten (sp?)
Pterostilbene (a super, high horsepower analogue of Resveratrol proven to extend life. Resveratrol has little bioavailability and Ptero does)
Fish Oil
Ginger

Read up on Pterostilbene at www.elysiumhealth.com

I've mentioned my doc buddies that are much older than they look (like vampires). They take the aforementioned supplements and a few others.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum