Texas Hunting Forum

Road biking or triathlon?

Posted By: cbump

Road biking or triathlon? - 03/30/20 07:17 PM

Anyone here into either? I used to be big time and going to get back into it. Just curious.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 03/30/20 08:06 PM

Trek Emonde for road work.

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 03/30/20 09:38 PM

Thinking about a CAAD13 or Allez Sprint Comp.
With 105 and disc brakes. I’d use it for road work and tris.

Used to have a Cervélo p2 I should have never gotten rid of.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/08/20 10:51 PM

I was into road biking the mid 90’s doing around 200 miles or more a week. I still have my Litespeed with carbon wheels in the garage. I sure did enjoy that time and the speeds.

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/09/20 01:11 AM

200 miles a week is awesome.
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/09/20 04:03 AM

It was great I was in my early 20’s and most of the time I either road with my club or this one buddy that was in his 50’s and could out ride me. He was a ultra marathon rider and did stupid miles. I did the HHH in Wichita Falls twice I was leading a group and another line came by and the guy behind me says “You want to jump on don’t you?” I said yes and bridged the gap and road with that group for a couple miles doing around 32-34 mph. It was really neat seeing a line with 20 people or more moving as one but the wrecks were bad too. I was in peak shape at that time and tried to go into the Corps and they wouldn’t take me because I had a collapsed lung a year before that happened all by itself so I had to wait two more years so I just kept riding. I stopped due to a change in jobs and it was getting dangerous knew one guy that was killed my a hit an run school bus driver.

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/09/20 04:55 AM

All my cycling experience has been triathlon so no drafting allowed. So I’ve never ridden with groups or anything. I just like to go ride. Gonna get me an endurance road bike with the shops open back up so I can start doing centuries. Probably Trek Emonda ALR 5 disc.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/17/20 07:38 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/18/20 12:55 AM

Really enjoy riding highway in the group thang but mostly ride solo or pairs. Had a bad freak accident (not bike related) that shut me down last 2-3 years. Being a quad for a short period of time was a real game changer. I was blessed just being able to walk again. Riding again has been a challenge starting back with A LOT of very short rides but I’m back up to 25-30 miles when I want to. At 64, I hope I can keep going for several more years. I hope to get back up to 50 miles. Unfortunately, I think my century rides are over but at least I can take that off the old bucket list.

[Linked Image]

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/18/20 01:34 AM

That’s awesome you’re back at it walkabout.
Posted By: Chopped54

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/22/20 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by cbump
Thinking about a CAAD13 or Allez Sprint Comp.
With 105 and disc brakes. I’d use it for road work and tris.

Used to have a Cervélo p2 I should have never gotten rid of.

I have a full custom CAAD12 I'd sale. Full Dura-Ace. Bottom bracket has been converted to Kogel. Bike weighed in around 15lbs
Include SIDI shoes, some Castelli gear, and a helmet. Also have a Garmin 800 for it.
[Linked Image]

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/23/20 12:24 AM

I’d be interested but I’d bet money it don’t fit. I’m 5’6”

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/23/20 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by cbump
I’d be interested but I’d bet money it don’t fit. I’m 5’6”

I have over $6500 in the setup, I would take $2600. What size bike do you normally ride? I THINK it is a 54

Height Inseam Bike Size
5'4" - 5'7" 28.5" - 30" 52 - 54 cm
5'6" - 5'9" 29.5" - 31" 54 - 56 cm

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 04/23/20 01:30 AM

I used to ride quite a bit, 70-80 miles a week on the bike and during marathon training would do another few hours on the spin bike. Tore my gastroc muscle in 2017 training for Houston and been out since. Got fat and out of shape so haven't rode in a while. Built this bike up during training and did the Shiner Gasp century that year. Done 7 tri's, all sprints or super sprints, never made it to 70.3+, I am not a swimmer. Second open water damn near killed me so scared me enough to quit, sold my tri bike and haven't looked back. Reminds me I have a one time use ZOOT sleeveless wet suit for sale!
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 06/25/20 07:12 PM

I try to ride the roads three times a week. When I do I exceed 100 miles for the week. I ride a Giant TCR. I've ridden several centuries in the Multiple Sclerosis series of rides around the state. Hotter than Hell a few times. Lots of area races in Burleson, Weatherford, Granbury, etc.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 08/20/20 12:09 AM

I’ve been riding some. Started back a couple years ago. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 08/20/20 12:30 PM

nice bike
Posted By: blanked

Re: Road biking or triathlon? - 08/26/20 09:28 PM

Look at marks daily apple. He is mark sisson a competive long distance runner in the 70s turned triathlete. Hard core to the max. He said that long grinding broke down his body and now has a completely new different workout
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum