Texas Hunting Forum

New to Keto

Posted By: N.Tx

New to Keto - 02/12/20 03:29 PM

Alright guys, giving the Keto diet a shot and need some help. What are some of your favorite Keto snacks and sides?

I need to mix in something besides just meat or else I'll be starting a thread on Gout soon.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: New to Keto - 02/12/20 03:41 PM

Aged Cheese, Pork Rinds, Olives / Stuffed Olives, Pickled Japs, Avocados, Pickle Juice/Dill Pickles, Marinated Artichoke hearts, Sauerkraute, Summer Sausage, Sardines, Kerrygold Butter, Spicy Pickled Quail eggs.

If you need a pick me or to curb hunger up do the BulletProof Coffee: Coffee, I TBSP of Kerrygold butter, I TBSP of MCT oil and 2 TBPS of Heavy Whipping Cream.

Re: New to Keto - 02/12/20 03:51 PM

My favorite meal is KFC grilled chicken, Get dark meat only since it has more fats. I usually get the 8 piece thighs only, have them make it fresh for you it takes about 17 minutes.

Make sure you eat the skin and fatty parts of the bones for the nutrition and vitamins, pair that with a pickled Jalapenos and it and outstanding meal.
Posted By: MO

Re: New to Keto - 02/12/20 03:58 PM

I can eat a good amount of cashews or mixed nuts and stay purple on the keto stix.

We make a dessert out of cream cheese , splenda , whipping cream , chopped nuts , Lilly's sugar free chocolate chips and
cocoa powder ( or other flavors like vanilla or peanut butter )

special treat Rebel Ice cream.

good luck

Mo
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: New to Keto - 02/12/20 04:03 PM

This recipe shockingly was better than I thought it would be: Gumbo
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: New to Keto - 02/12/20 05:32 PM

i tried it. the MCT oil made my tummy queasy. too much fat

Re: New to Keto - 02/12/20 06:13 PM

Take Jalapenos, Fill full of cream cheese, Wrap in bacon and put on grill on top shelf if you have one.
Posted By: huck18

Re: New to Keto - 02/12/20 09:19 PM

Salads with homemade olive oil and lemon dressing, bacon, cheese, etc...
Beef Jerky
All kinds of cheeses

You can find some good sweets recipes by doing a search for keto milkshakes, cookies, fat bombs, etc...

Once you get fully into ketosis you will notice your appetite is almost non-existent and you won't really have the urge to snack the way you did before keto.

Re: New to Keto - 02/13/20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by huck18
Beef Jerky
All kinds of cheeses

You can find some good sweets recipes by doing a search for keto milkshakes, cookies, fat bombs, etc...

Once you get fully into ketosis you will notice your appetite is almost non-existent and you won't really have the urge to snack the way you did before keto.

What do you put on the salad? Scallions instead of onions? They say tomatoes is actually a fruit, Do you go light on them?
Posted By: huck18

Re: New to Keto - 02/13/20 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger
Beef Jerky
All kinds of cheeses

What do you put on the salad? Scallions instead of onions? They say tomatoes is actually a fruit, Do you go light on them?

I don't eat tomatoes. So my salads consist of a lettuce, spinach mix from the garden, bacon, cheese, cheese croutons, black olives, olive oil and lemon dressing, sunflower seeds. You could add tomatoes or other fruits/veggies, but just go light if there high in carbs. I found that I could eat about 50 grams of carbs of day and still not get knocked out of ketosis.

Re: New to Keto - 02/13/20 04:21 PM

Beef Jerky
All kinds of cheeses

I don't eat tomatoes. So my salads consist of a lettuce, spinach mix from the garden, bacon, cheese, cheese croutons, black olives, olive oil and lemon dressing, sunflower seeds. You could add tomatoes or other fruits/veggies, but just go light if there high in carbs. I found that I could eat about 50 grams of carbs of day and still not get knocked out of ketosis.

up
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: New to Keto - 02/13/20 05:04 PM

Pork rines, but fresh ones made here local called Chicharones, Carnitas, Dr. Pepper 10, mini bell peppers with ranch, mixed green salads, cauliflower,
Oh and don't forget make some CRACK SLAW!!!
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: New to Keto - 02/13/20 05:23 PM

3 big ol slices of Luigis supreme pizza....................BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Re: New to Keto - 02/13/20 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions, fellas. I need to perfect Cauliflower rice / mashed potatoes. I think no starches will be the most difficult for me.

Mini bell peppers are quickly becoming a favorite... oh and of course some jalapeno poppers that RedRanger through out. Always had them, never knew they were "healthy"!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: New to Keto - 02/13/20 06:23 PM

Roasted cauliflower: Set oven to 325, cut up the cauliflower, sprinkle olive oil, salt, pepper, minced garlic and chopped onions. Cook for 90 minutes.

Cauliflower mashers: Cut cauliflower into pieces, steam, when done put into food processor, add seasoning and shredded gouda cheese.

Re: New to Keto - 02/14/20 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by E.TX.JMart
Thanks for all the suggestions, fellas. I need to perfect Cauliflower rice / mashed potatoes. I think no starches will be the most difficult for me.

Mini bell peppers are quickly becoming a favorite... oh and of course some jalapeno poppers that RedRanger through out. Always had them, never knew they were "healthy"!

The longer you stay away from carbs the less you craving will be for them. You will start craving high fat products.
Posted By: leswad

Re: New to Keto - 02/15/20 03:36 PM

Thank me later.

https://www.amazon.com/Plain-Smartb...mart+bread&qid=1581780891&sr=8-9

Re: New to Keto - 02/15/20 06:48 PM

Do you guys count by Net Carbs ( Total Carbs - Fiber ) or just go by Total Carbs?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: New to Keto - 02/15/20 06:55 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: New to Keto - 02/16/20 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by E.TX.JMart
Do you guys count by Net Carbs ( Total Carbs - Fiber ) or just go by Total Carbs?

Net is your number your looking for: Perfect example is an avocado.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: New to Keto - 02/17/20 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

[Linked Image]

Kale is only good if the K is silent.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: New to Keto - 02/27/20 09:17 PM

Tons of salad, my wife makes a great keto sweet cornbread, riced cauliflower in stir fry, egg roll in a bowl and snacks for me are pork rinds, good dill pickles, pecans and some peanuts. I don’t count carbs, macros or anything else and I’ve dropped 50 pounds since July of last year.

I also eat tomatoes and onions.

Re: New to Keto - 02/28/20 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by bigjoe8565
Tons of salad, my wife makes a great keto sweet cornbread, riced cauliflower in stir fry, egg roll in a bowl and snacks for me are pork rinds, good dill pickles, pecans and some peanuts. I don’t count carbs, macros or anything else and I’ve dropped 50 pounds since July of last year.

I also eat tomatoes and onions.

up

Good Job
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: New to Keto - 02/28/20 01:12 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: New to Keto - 03/10/20 02:13 PM

I like the new Mountain Dew Zero Sugar more so than the diet when if am drinking soda.

I like make pizza style egg bites in a muffin pan using Rao's pizza sauce, mozzarella, pepperoni/meats, whole egg.

Rao's is only 2g carbs per 1/4 cup and I use less than in total.
Posted By: David7912

Re: New to Keto - 03/11/20 01:03 AM

Easiest diet I ever tried hang with it if you can I lost 44 lbs my son has lost 90. Lots of avocados cheese,pork rinds,nuts. I hit a spot where I wasn't losing but then it kicked back in like I said hang with it if you can it works!
Posted By: aerangis

Re: New to Keto - 05/01/20 03:23 PM

Take Jalapenos, Fill full of cream cheese, Wrap in bacon and put on grill on top shelf if you have one.

up

I lost a little over 80 pounds in four months on a combination of keto diet, intermittent fasting and 30+ minutes of moderate cardio daily. I feel much better, have more energy and am close to being free of diabetes without medication. One benefit of keto that seems to be ignored is avoiding low glycemic foods has the added benefit of reversing insulin resistance in Type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes. I no longer require injections and have cut the amount of Metformin I take in half. Now, my blood sugar stays below 130 even after a meal including the occasional Strawberry Shortcake. The key is eating sufficient fats to slow the digestion of carbohydrates which I try to restrict to around 50 grams daily. If I exceed that number on occasion, I don't sweat it.

One meal a day took about a week or two of getting used to, but I like vegetables (salads aren't veggies:) and stuff folks consider healthy. One of my favorite dishes is baking a whole avocado split down the middle with an egg in each half sprinkled with cheese. Tasty, healthy, and loaded with healthy fats. Another favorite item on the menu is Bacon Tomato Sandwiches using low carb bread. Another is lamb chops, they're grass fed and loaded with Omega-3 as is grass fed & finished beef.

I hear folks talk about bacon and eggs being unhealthy. Yet many members of my family lived into their 90's eating eggs, bacon, sausage with biscuits greased in the fat from cooking and loaded up with butter, every day of their lives.

Re: New to Keto - 05/01/20 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by aerangis

up

I lost a little over 80 pounds in four months on a combination of keto diet, intermittent fasting and 30+ minutes of moderate cardio daily. I feel much better, have more energy and am close to being free of diabetes without medication. One benefit of keto that seems to be ignored is avoiding low glycemic foods has the added benefit of reversing insulin resistance in Type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes. I no longer require injections and have cut the amount of Metformin I take in half. Now, my blood sugar stays below 130 even after a meal including the occasional Strawberry Shortcake. The key is eating sufficient fats to slow the digestion of carbohydrates which I try to restrict to around 50 grams daily. If I exceed that number on occasion, I don't sweat it.

One meal a day took about a week or two of getting used to, but I like vegetables (salads aren't veggies:) and stuff folks consider healthy. One of my favorite dishes is baking a whole avocado split down the middle with an egg in each half sprinkled with cheese. Tasty, healthy, and loaded with healthy fats. Another favorite item on the menu is Bacon Tomato Sandwiches using low carb bread. Another is lamb chops, they're grass fed and loaded with Omega-3 as is grass fed & finished beef.

I hear folks talk about bacon and eggs being unhealthy. Yet many members of my family lived into their 90's eating eggs, bacon, sausage with biscuits greased in the fat from cooking and loaded up with butter, every day of their lives.

up

Re: New to Keto - 05/01/20 05:45 PM

[

I will try the eggs/Avocado and Bacon Sandwich

Lamb chops are my fav and get the grass fed one as well from Tom thumb

Re: New to Keto - 05/01/20 08:54 PM

[

Technically, they're not chops. It's a miniature lamb t-bone that Walmart carries that comes with three in the package. A little coarse kosher sea salt with black pepper, pan seared on a cast iron skillet where it's rare but crisped on the outside, it makes some mighty fine eatin.

Re: New to Keto - 05/02/20 09:22 AM

[

Technically, they're not chops. It's a miniature lamb t-bone that Walmart carries that comes with three in the package. A little coarse kosher sea salt with black pepper, pan seared on a cast iron skillet where it's rare but crisped on the outside, it makes some mighty fine eatin.

I get mine from Tom thumb they have much more fat on them, that area rack of ribs and you have to cut them.

I use soy sauce and mustard and marinate them in that, and put them on the grill. They are my go to meal now days. Costco has them as well, but the fat content are not as good as the Tom Thumb ones

Re: New to Keto - 05/03/20 08:17 AM

Yep, when it comes to lamb orbeef, grass fed is the way to go. Flavor is much improved and I happen to like the fat when it's grilled or pan seared.

Grass fed lamb and beef have a higher omega-3 (EPA & DHA) content than that found in grain or pellet base animals finished in feedlots before slaughter. If your health matters, consider switchig.

Re: New to Keto - 06/02/20 01:41 PM

My wife joined the Keto craze, she lost 11 pounds, went from 107 to 96 lbs in 2 months.

It's nice now since we can eat same foods for lunch/dinner

We both skip breakfast, Only eat lunch and dinner. Once you are on the Keto with fats mixed in, it will take care of you hunger pains.

Plus you don't get cranky when you are hungry, I don't think I will ever eat/drink anything with high sugar any more.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: New to Keto - 06/02/20 05:06 PM

My wife joined the Keto craze, she lost 11 pounds, went from 107 to 96 lbs in 2 months.

It's nice now since we can eat same foods for lunch/dinner

We both skip breakfast, Only eat lunch and dinner. Once you are on the Keto with fats mixed in, it will take care of you hunger pains.

Plus you don't get cranky when you are hungry, I don't think I will ever eat/drink anything with high sugar any more.

^^^^^^^^^this up up peep[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum