Texas Hunting Forum

CBD oil, pro's and con's

Posted By: Buzzsaw

CBD oil, pro's and con's - 06/26/19 04:19 PM

SO, I'm trying to wean myself off my Meloxicam anti inflammatory. if i dont take it, EVERYTHING hurts.

has anyone tried the CBD oil for chronic pain? i've never been one who believed inn holistic medicine. but i'll try about anything.....once
Posted By: hetman

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 06/27/19 12:40 AM

Hi Buzz - I was at the same place you are at with my knees - different and various medical pain killers prescribed by my pain management docs - took them tell I got tired of it. Was also on meloxicam ( which is very bad for you) .

Decided to have both knees done (partial knee replacement) - I am going thru physical rehab at this point.

Before I had surgery I was dragging [censored] - everything hurt ( bad knees make you walk weird ) screws up muscle memory trying to compensate- puts wear and tear on your whole body.

I wanted some relief while waiting for surgery to roll around - did some reading and asking questions from various people ( a lot of people in Texas seem to think your some kind of deranged druggie from Colorado for even asking)

Anyway after a very bad day , barley able to get in and out of a f150 4x4 : I was in Carrollton tx and went to https://cbdamericanshaman.com/ store is across the street from the police station / and courthouse( figured if they could do business there , they were legit)

Anyway I dragged my self in there and was met at the door by the owners and seated immediately - we had a discussion about what they were selling & what it could do for me( they only use CBD extracted from hemp - basically 0 THC)

they suggested a water soluble CBD extract that you mix with water or whatever and drink / along with a topical paste that you apply to whatever hurts the worst.

They asked if I would like to try it and gave me a small shot glass with 3ml of extract mixed with water & 2 small dabs of the paste( no bigger than a blackeye pea) one for each knee

within approx. 15 min I was able to walk around with better than a 50-60% improvement in pain( nothing is going to fix bone on bone rubbing which was going on in my knees due to meniscus totally gone)

I was impressed - no side effects like heavy duty pain killer cause - you don't get high - you don't get the munchies etc etc

I did buy a bottle of the water soluble Mix and a small 1oz jar of the paste and used it till my surgery

skip ahead I am at the point after surgery where surgical scars have heeled enough to be able to use the paste again to help with surgical /PT rehab pain
( and PT therapy is a whole new level of hurt and they are ramping it up every time I go in)

As a experiment I have a friend that is a VP for one of the major Banks / she is very active person and is always flying from place to place. Due to a sports injury she has one leg that causes her pain ( especially sitting for hours on a plane) I gave her some of the extract & paste both : She said it has helped a lot.

That's all I know - suggest you go to one of the CBD American shaman stores - look at there website and find one close to you & take a tour & see if it works for you- try the free samples https://cbdamericanshaman.com/

Steve(aka hetman)
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 06/27/19 12:50 AM

My wife uses it for inflammation (multiple back surgeries and carpal tunnel) . She was skeptical but she's all in now. It works and the side effects are minimal. I order her the drops from Medterra.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 06/27/19 12:01 PM

I’ve known several people that used it with very good results. So far, I haven’t heard of anyone claiming it doesn’t work.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 06/27/19 01:38 PM

I tried it for a month or so for chronic knee pain. Absolutely no help. Maybe just me.

Asked my doc about it and she suggested trying Turmeric. I bought some and have seen a dramatic decrease in joint pain. Going on three months now and I have not taken a single ibuprofen for pain.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 06/27/19 02:19 PM

Great stuff guys thanks, I think I'll try it, cant hurt, turmeric too. i may have to go back on my meloxicam. i hate hurting.

1. inflammation in feet (tendons)
2. hands, my grip is terrible
3. back, stenosis
4. Knees, I am going to a Orthopedist to have them checked

UHHHH
Posted By: yotehater

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 06/27/19 08:23 PM

Buzzsaw, I just had my meniscus surgery today and have been following your posts/threads. The squishy sounds are strange but I don't hurt anymore. Still jacked up on whatever they used to put me under. Anyway good luck with the rehab, getting old is painful.
Posted By: PKnTX

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 07/01/19 03:36 AM

Getting off the pharmaceuticals is a great way to go.
You will have pain in all your joints initially because your
body has come to depend on the drug but FIGHT THOUGH IT!

Your joints need movement/activity. Start out light and slow.
Force yourself to walk correctly despite the pain.
Like already said, limping and shuffling is horrible for your body.
If you will fight through this and move your body you will be
amazed at what a change it will make! I could type on and on
about the improvements in my life but this is already more than
most will read so...
Just this:
Bextra, Mobic, Celebrex; NO MORE!
Thoughts of knee replacement: NO MORE!
Dred of a simple walk; NO MORE!
Pain with every step; NO MORE!

Medical Dr's want you on pharmaceuticals.
Surgeons want to saw on you.
It's what they are trained to do.
It's the way they make money.
It is their professional obligation.

Take responsibility for your body and start moving!!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 07/01/19 03:48 AM

There is no easy answer here. CBD is not a miracle, but there can be some benefits. One of the biggest benefits is the placebo effect and that is a real deal. Probably most of the benefit from CBD is through placebo, or power of suggestion. If there is a true anti-inflammatory benefit it hasn’t been proven scientifically but that doe not mean there isn’t a benefit. So the bottom line is try it out and if you feel it works feel free to use it, but if it doesn’t work it’s just money.

Buyer beware, CBD that is labeled thc free is 25% of the time containing thc. So if you work in an industry that will test, buyer beware. Just be aware that the nutraceutical industry is under no regulation to test or confirm the reality to their claims of what is contained in their products, they can say pretty much whatever they want.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 07/01/19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
There is no easy answer here. CBD is not a miracle, but there can be some benefits. One of the biggest benefits is the placebo effect and that is a real deal. Probably most of the benefit from CBD is through placebo, or power of suggestion. If there is a true anti-inflammatory benefit it hasn’t been proven scientifically but that doe not mean there isn’t a benefit. So the bottom line is try it out and if you feel it works feel free to use it, but if it doesn’t work it’s just money.

Buyer beware, CBD that is labeled thc free is 25% of the time containing thc. So if you work in an industry that will test, buyer beware. Just be aware that the nutraceutical industry is under no regulation to test or confirm the reality to their claims of what is contained in their products, they can say pretty much whatever they want.

That’s why I’ve never tried it. I’d like to, but I can’t risk it.
Posted By: Stub

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 07/01/19 01:07 PM

Buzz I have had a hip have problem for a long time and recently my knees started barking too. The knees I attribute to a bad habit of placing the backside of the heels of my feet on our coffee table which is higher than our sofa and putting to much pressure on my knee joint area. I stopped doing that the day before my wife got me a bottle of Zilis Ultra Cell and both my knees and hip felt better pdq. She switched me to another brand Z Brand which I did not care for now I am back on the Zilis.

The only side effect I noticed was seeing Flying Saucers and dining with Aliens laugh Just kidding but for real I noticed a slight odd feeling around my eye lids like they were numbing or ???
I am trying it again for 30 more days (ZILIS) and if cannot leap tall buildings with a single bound I will take a break from it.

I am pretty sure it is helping and no Placebo effect between the ears up
Posted By: Hicksbuilt

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 08/09/19 01:04 PM

There is no easy answer here. CBD is not a miracle, but there can be some benefits. One of the biggest benefits is the placebo effect and that is a real deal. Probably most of the benefit from CBD is through placebo, or power of suggestion. If there is a true anti-inflammatory benefit it hasn�t been proven scientifically but that doe not mean there isn�t a benefit. So the bottom line is try it out and if you feel it works feel free to use it, but if it doesn�t work it�s just money.

Do you have a source for that 25% claim? I have been looked into CBD quite a bit lately, and haven't seen any claim like that
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 08/09/19 03:13 PM

JAMA looking at cbd found 21% contained thc

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2661569

I can not find the other research that I quoted, maybe in one of my prior posts I can find a better reminder of where it was.

Yeah, I agree, it is hard to find the research on this, I did some quick searching and found very little.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 10/10/19 06:45 PM

I've got a torn labrum in my shoulder (second time) and am putting off another surgery as long as possible. Hadn't really found anything that helped the pain very much. Last week I finally broke down and went into a CBD place. A couple of stoner looking guys met me at the door. I didn't really put much into their advice but let them sell me a small bottle of cream for $20. Stuff is a lot more than the co-pay for what the doctor was giving me. But I will say that it works to some extent. It takes the sharp edge of the pain enough to help me get to sleep at night.

It's got kind of a funny smell to it that I don't really like but it's not really strong. No one has commented on it yet at work. My wife noticed it but it didn't offend her.

I rub it on and then listen to some Willie Nelson or Snoop Dog. Just seems appropriate.
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 10/10/19 07:56 PM

Before ya'll jump on the CBD bandwagon, do some research on CBD and Federal Firearms Laws.

I won't touch the stuff.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: jetdad

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 10/10/19 11:41 PM

Why don't you just eat some of the real stuff. As old as I am I don't think anyone would bother me about it if I did it.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 10/29/19 01:08 PM

I was and still am a skeptic to an extent.

However...

We recently got some of the full spectrum drops (tincture that you put under your tongue) and some of the cream. Both were expensive. Apparently the full spectrum contains all types of CBD and THC (less than 0.3%)

Wife has chronic headaches (has had them for years and was probably destroying her liver taking advil/alevee). Started the oil last week and hasn't had a single headache and hasn't had to take a single pill. She also has a little anxiety - drastic improvement.

I've got a bad knee and with the cooler weather it's been barking quite a bit. Cream made a very noticeable difference for me. Seems to last about 8 hours or so. We went on about an 8 mile hike and it never bothered me. I've also used the oil to help with sleep and it's made a big difference.

Not saying it's a miracle drug - could be purely placebo - but it has certainly helped both of us.

We bought from a shop in Oklahoma while on vacation. Same law as in Texas - has to be less than 0.3% THC - which the shop informed us even with less than that amount you will fail a drug test.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 11/04/19 12:26 AM

I'm glad you both have had a good experience with it. Real clinical trials need to be done asap.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 11/04/19 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I'm glad you both have had a good experience with it. Real clinical trials need to be done asap.

Some have been, there is an approved FDA drug for epilepsy and an FDA study for CBD as an anti-infalmmatory
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: CBD oil, pro's and con's - 11/05/19 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
There is no easy answer here. CBD is not a miracle, but there can be some benefits. One of the biggest benefits is the placebo effect and that is a real deal. Probably most of the benefit from CBD is through placebo, or power of suggestion. If there is a true anti-inflammatory benefit it hasn�t been proven scientifically but that doe not mean there isn�t a benefit. So the bottom line is try it out and if you feel it works feel free to use it, but if it doesn�t work it�s just money.

That�s why I�ve never tried it. I�d like to, but I can�t risk it.

Same here....I'd like to try it for my back and knees but I've got another 10 years to go before I can give it a shot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum