Texas Hunting Forum

Colonoscopy prep

Posted By: 603Country

Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 09:41 PM

Starts at 4:30. Gotta drink that nasty tasting liquid. I need info, not sympathy, though sympathy would be nice. The requested info: I can’t remember how long after drinking that goop the ‘unloading’ begin?

Man, I’m hungry. No food till around lunch tomorrow. Situation is awful and soon to get worse.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 09:44 PM

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7430936/lets-get-personal#Post7430936
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 09:50 PM

The fun started for me within an hour after consuming the first cup and continued for around 4 hours. Getting past the taste is the hardest part. I cut mine with Sprite. Good luck and stay close to the toilet.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 09:51 PM

Y'all have made it that I will Never Do This... I'm holding out for " The Pill "...

Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 10:10 PM

Your fun has not even started yet. Hint...put the prep in the fridge. Drinking it cold makes it a little more tolerable.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 10:21 PM

The ‘stuff’ is chilled, and I have Sprite. Unless they find something that needs to be monitored, this is the last one of these I’ll agree to.

Did I say how hungry I was.....
Posted By: HOF

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 10:25 PM

As I stated in a post a couple of weeks ago, "Don't sweat it. It will all come out in the end." grin

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 10:30 PM

Oh, my God...the wife is bringing the stuff to me. It BEGINS. Down the hatch....

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 10:36 PM

Tasted like chilled dog sweat. I changed into some easily removable baggy shorts.

I drank the first glass at 4:30 pm. I’ll time it till the first uuuuuh movement.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 10:49 PM

What time is your procedure? The earlier the better, be sure to ease into that first meal.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 10:50 PM

Because of other Agent Orange issues, I get the clean out once a year. Trust me it never gets easier, just more tolerable. Good luck.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 11:11 PM

35 minutes, and some gurgling is going on, but that’s it so far.

9:30 tomorrow morning is the procedure. Hopefully food at that time won’t be a problem. I’m thinking about lunch at Walk Ons in Waco. Burger and waffle fries.

Honestly, nothing sounds good right now. Tummy is twitchy.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 11:18 PM

Percolating! Slow and easy wins the race. All I wanted after mine was a cup of coffee!
Posted By: JCB

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 11:20 PM

They make several different things to clean you out. If you don't request a certain one they will likely just prescribe the big gallon jug thing. Ask for Prepopik. That's what they gave me. Tastes like a citrus flavored kool aid and you only have to drink about 16 ounces or something like that.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 11:21 PM

JCB, now ya tell me.

48 minutes. Gurgling louder...

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
JCB, now ya tell me.

48 minutes. Gurgling louder...

Better late than never!
grin

I hope you have baby wipes handy or you gonna be pretty raw by morning! clap
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 11:27 PM

I thought I was going to eat a hole pizza after mine. But I was scared to eat after the events of the night before.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
They make several different things to clean you out. If you don't request a certain one they will likely just prescribe the big gallon jug thing. Ask for Prepopik. That's what they gave me. Tastes like a citrus flavored kool aid and you only have to drink about 16 ounces or something like that.

That's the stuff I had but after cutting it with Sprite, still came to almost a gallon going in. It al tastes horrible!

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 11:54 PM

62 minutes, and the floodgates opened....
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/03/19 11:58 PM

Why did they move this to health and fitness.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Originally Posted by JCB

That's the stuff I had but after cutting it with Sprite, still came to almost a gallon going in. It al tastes horrible!

I didn't think it tasted bad at all. Tasted like a really strong orange drink to me. And that's coming from someone who is really really picky when it comes to what he will eat or drink. Im the type that refuses to take any liquid meds at all because I have a history of barfing because they all taste so bad. I had severe reservations about taking this stuff as well but it was a piece of cake.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 12:21 AM

My last was 10 years ago. First meal afterwards was a tray full at Luby’s. My next will be later this year, too bad Luby’s just shut down last week.
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 12:58 AM

I was up ALL night with mine. ColoGuard for me now.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 01:25 AM

Don't think about it.............just don't don't!

[Linked Image]

Ok I'm an arsehole. smile ani

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 02:12 AM

Yes, Tbar, yes you are.
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by JCB

Not positive, but I think Prepopik may be the same or similar to the six pills they used to prescribe. I don't think any GI docs prescribe that anymore, -- potential kidney damage.

https://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/drugsafety/ucm312633.pdf

These last few threads about this have just pushed me into making the call to the GI doc. It's time. And I started a week or so ago researching the preps and those six or so huge pills are no longer prescribed. Whatever they were, a little over ten years ago, sure worked. I'm just glad my kidneys still do as well. But I think the sports drink cocktail is the norm now.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 07:19 AM

I’m back up at 1 am to drink the other half of that gallon of dog sweat. Last time I had to go through this, they gave me the pills and some liquid. No pills this time. Seems like the clean-out is a bit less energetic than with the pills, but I can’t be sure of that.

The only good news is that I’m closer to this being over.
Posted By: decook

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 11:22 AM

Tag - im up this year too. My ordeal was BAD the last time. Took hours to take effect and the whole time I had a gallon swimming in my innards. That was a terrible experience.
This is what i had. Never again
https://moviprep.salix.com/about-moviprep/taking-moviprep
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 02:17 PM

Hope everything checks out okay 603. I like your thought of it tasting like dog sweat, I refer to is as heavily salted snot.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 02:22 PM

good luck, im on the every three year train.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 02:43 PM

I go in to see my GP this week for physical and to get colonoscopy scheduled. Not looking forward to it, but I am 55 and never had one, so time.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 05:29 PM

It’s over. One small polyp. The new anesthesia drug is way better than before. Didn’t wake up feeling like i’d puke. Felt fine real fast. Went to the Egg and I and had a serious breakfast. Burp!

By far, the worst thing about this was drinking a full gallon of dog sweat. And, as bad as it was, I think the previous version tasted worse.

I really don’t want to do this again.

Hope ya’ll didn’t mind the step by step review of this process.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 06:09 PM

Thanks for sharing.

What does it mean you have a polyp???

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Thanks for sharing.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone over 50 not having at least one or two. It basically means, eat more fiber, I think.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 07:13 PM

Just saw where this thread was started in another section? Must've been a movement to get it here?

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 07:13 PM

A polyp is a growth of cells on the lining of the colon. If ignored, over time some could become cancerous. So finding them and removing them is the objective. They get sent for testing to see if they are possibly precancerous, and that info will determine how often the doc thinks you should drink the dog sweat and repeat the colonoscopy.

Obviously, no polyps is the best answer. The worst answer would be that you have colon cancer, and you should have had the procedure a decade ago. I was flying under the colonoscopy radar until a neighbor had the test and found he had cancer, and the wife then dragged me kicking and screaming to the doctor to set this test up.

The above is my version of the answer to Roll-Tide’s question, which doesn’t make it precisely correct.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Thanks for sharing.

A growth, there are types that are benign, precancerous and cancerous.
In all cases they are removed. It translates to the following chart.
No polyps 10 year plan
Benign 5 year plan
Precancerous 3 year plan
Cancerous caught early, yearly, if you're lucky and you don't require further treatment.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 07:21 PM

Got it. Thanks.

Polyps are found and removed, tested to determine your screening frequency.
Posted By: TX0303

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 08:36 PM

Why are doctors still using the gallon type prep medicine? When I had mine done a couple of years ago, the doc prescribed Suprep. Its only two 6 oz doses. One the night before, one early morning. The first dose pretty much cleaned me out and I slept good all night.
On a side note, there is a machine that can be used now that is basically a continuous run enema. Go to the procedure location, they insert it, you sit on toilet, 30 minutes later you are cleaned out, no medicine involved.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/04/19 11:01 PM

The new anesthesia drug is way better than before. Didn’t wake up feeling like i’d puke. Felt fine real fast. .

Probably Propofol. That's what they used on me and I was out like a light. Recovery time afterwards is way quicker with Propofol as well. A lot of people wake up so quick after the test that they are awake before they ever get to the recovery room.

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/05/19 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by JCB
The new anesthesia drug is way better than before. Didn’t wake up feeling like i’d puke. Felt fine real fast. .

Probably Propofol. That's what they used on me and I was out like a light. Recovery time afterwards is way quicker with Propofol as well. A lot of people wake up so quick after the test that they are awake before they ever get to the recovery room.

They used it on me and I woke up in the middle of the procedure. I remember the doc yelling across the room to the anesthesiologist "He's waking up dammit!" and I saw the other doc come running. Not cool. The next time I had it done I gave clear instructions that I had better not remember. I even had my wife write it on my butt cheeks with a sharpie. The doc remembered. grin

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/05/19 01:59 AM

It’s over. One small polyp. The new anesthesia drug is way better than before. Didn’t wake up feeling like i’d puke. Felt fine real fast. Went to the Egg and I and had a serious breakfast. Burp!

By far, the worst thing about this was drinking a full gallon of dog sweat. And, as bad as it was, I think the previous version tasted worse.

I really don’t want to do this again.

Hope ya’ll didn’t mind the step by step review of this process.

Glad it worked out for you. Loved the running documentary, Most interesting thing on here in a while.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/05/19 04:54 AM

First time I had the procedure I made a mistake I’ll never duplicate. The day before cleanout the doc puts you on a liquid diet. Decided plain old chicken broth was to bland to drink so added a healthy dose of Tabasco. Not my smartest move. flame

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/17/19 02:12 AM

Got the call that I’m on the 10 year plan now, so it’ll be a while before I have to drink the dog sweat. I hope I live that long, so maybe I should hope that I do get the test again.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 03/17/19 03:29 PM

Good for you 603Country, I am still on a 5 year plan and got the dreaded letter that it is time to drink the salted snot again. Hopefully they don't see anything this time and I can to to 10 also.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 04/04/19 02:18 PM

How many others here read this and say, I ain't doing it?

X1
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 04/04/19 03:23 PM

I bet they will when they start chittin blood

but then its too late angel
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 04/04/19 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by mrmo
How many others here read this and say, I ain't doing it?

X1

Why would you say that?

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 04/04/19 05:36 PM

Here’s the deal. I had successfully dodged the colonoscopy for quite a few years, till an old friend on the 10 year plan developed colon cancer in year 8 and died ugly. The wife really started pushing the colonoscopy then, and still I resisted. Then our next door neighbor had the test and he had cancer also. I quit fighting and took the test.

As much fun as this test is NOT, it really wasn’t that bad. I had expected it to be bad, but it really was way better than colonoscopys in the past. And the dog sweat I had to drink wasn’t bad and it wasn’t good, I just wish it had some sort of lemon/lime flavor. It has a sort of semi-salty thick no-taste that’s not so terribly bad, but there’s just a bunch of it to drink.

We just like to bitch about it. So if it’s your time for the test, take the dang test, and then join us in the bitchin. It’s best that you get checked out.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 04/04/19 08:43 PM

Yeah, I had my first done last week. Suprep worked its way through my system FAST. Drank the first bottle at about 5 PM mixed with water. Not a good taste - kind of like bitter NYQUIL. I had to wake up at 3 am for second dose, but pretty much went back to sleep at 4:30 or so cuz there was nothing left in the old system.

Procedure was at 9:00 and they were right on time. IV started in prep, then off to other room for procedure. The nurse started the anesthesia and said it works pretty fast.....and I woke up in recovery 20 minutes later. One small polyp removed and should good for 5 years, but they test to be sure.

Like others say, the prep is the worst part, and it is really not that bad. Better to go through it and be safe than to avoid and have something much worse down the road.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 04/04/19 10:48 PM

It's a no brainer. Colon cancer is the #2 cause of death among cancers. Before I could start treatment for prostate cancer doctors made me get a current colonoscopy. They wanted to make sure that I was clear because colon cancer is a very quick killer. They would have treated me for colon cancer then dealt with the prostate issue.

I actually never felt better than when I woke up from the colonoscopy. There are no after effects from the procedure even if you have polyps removed. Yes the prep tastes bad but it's a small price to pay for your well being.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Colonoscopy prep - 04/21/19 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by jetdad
It's a no brainer. Colon cancer is the #2 cause of death among cancers. Before I could start treatment for prostate cancer doctors made me get a current colonoscopy. They wanted to make sure that I was clear because colon cancer is a very quick killer. They would have treated me for colon cancer then dealt with the prostate issue.

I actually never felt better than when I woke up from the colonoscopy. There are no after effects from the procedure even if you have polyps removed.
Yes the prep tastes bad but it's a small price to pay for your well being.

FIFY!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum