Texas Hunting Forum

The plateau

Posted By: BigPig

The plateau - 12/29/18 08:19 PM

I let myself get up to 240 lbs this year. I was stress eating and not working out, it happens. In June I cut out sweet tea, haven’t had a soda in 6 years, so now it’s coffee and water only. I limited my portion size and had a goal of actually feeling hungry instead of eating at set times because everybody else was. Beginning of deer season and I was 215 lbs. I set a goal of 210 lbs by Christmas at that point. I’m still 215. Haven’t changed my eating, go to the gym for cardio a few nights a week. I can’t hit the gym 5 days a week, my body has shown me in the past that excessive exercise causes blood sugar issues for me. Ideally I want to be under 200 pounds. Aside from very strict diets that I likely won’t stick to, how do I over come this plateaus?
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: The plateau - 12/29/18 09:10 PM

Cardio can be overrated. Have you changed your cardio routine, kick boxing, rowing, stair stepper?
In my opinion, lift weights, quit cardio only, if that's what you're doing, you gotta shock the system.
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: The plateau - 12/31/18 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by KWood_TSU
In my opinion, lift weights, quit cardio only, if that's what you're doing, you gotta shock the system.

Agreed.

Keep your diet in check. Consume good lean protein.
Posted By: HOF

Re: The plateau - 12/31/18 10:51 AM

Dude, it's 5 friggin 5 lbs ! You gotta be in single digit fat mass already. Have you gotten your body mass checked on a SECA machine lately? Dr HOF thinks you're probably good to go where you're at. Eat a doughnut man.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: The plateau - 01/01/19 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by HOF
Dude, it's 5 friggin 5 lbs ! You gotta be in single digit fat mass already. Have you gotten your body mass checked on a SECA machine lately? Dr HOF thinks you're probably good to go where you're at. Eat a doughnut man.

Lol. That was just the goal for this year. 200 pounds is the goal for 2019 and maintaining it.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: The plateau - 01/01/19 11:18 AM

KETO diet. Read up on it and hit it hard core for a week. Have a goal of zero carbs, zero sugar. Don't worry about portion size, just stick to the "can have", "cannot have" lists that you'll find. You'll see results after the first week if you don't cheat. Then stick to it as long as you want.

The goal of zero carbs/zero sugar won't be entirely possible, but think of it in that way. You'll be surprised how close you can get. (you can cut sugar with substitutes, like stevia)

As for the gym, your time is better spent on the weight rack. Sure, you need some cardio but if your exercise time is limited spend it on upper body and core exercises. I'm 56, and more likely to hurt myself moving a dead animal, filling a feeder, or lifting something that is too heavy. Most common injuries for active men are shoulder tears and hernias. Planks, bicycle kicks, and crunches. Shoulder work, bench press, and arms. Set a goal on planks and how many rep's you can bench of your body weight.

Posted By: Sparky45

Re: The plateau - 01/25/19 03:45 AM

CICO

Calories in...calories out.

I do heavy workouts doing compound lifts 5 days a week and I am eating close to 3000 calories a day.
That’s about 260 grams of protein, 200+ carbs and right at 100 in fats.
My weight has not fluctuated more than 2-3 lbs up or down in months.

You cannot lose weight unless you are eating less calories than you are burning and the opposite goes for gaining.

A pound of human body fat equals about 3500 calories, so, if you do the math.. you would need to be at a 500 calorie a day deficit for a week to lose a pound of fat.
Now, it is not exactly always as simple as that, but that is the basic science behind it.
Posted By: helomech

Re: The plateau - 01/25/19 02:56 PM

I have been keto for about 3 years now. It is really hard to over eat calories when you drop all the junk. 10oz of meat (most any kind) will only be about 400 calories. I don't even worry about calories, I just eat as much as I want, as long as it is fats and protein. After a while the keto diet gets very easy. I have one or two days a month that I cheat and can eat anything I want for that day.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: The plateau - 01/25/19 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig
I let myself get up to 240 lbs this year. I was stress eating and not working out, it happens. In June I cut out sweet tea, haven’t had a soda in 6 years, so now it’s coffee and water only. I limited my portion size and had a goal of actually feeling hungry instead of eating at set times because everybody else was. Beginning of deer season and I was 215 lbs. I set a goal of 210 lbs by Christmas at that point. I’m still 215. Haven’t changed my eating, go to the gym for cardio a few nights a week. I can’t hit the gym 5 days a week, my body has shown me in the past that excessive exercise causes blood sugar issues for me. Ideally I want to be under 200 pounds. Aside from very strict diets that I likely won’t stick to, how do I over come this plateaus?

You know that really big hill on 45 just south of Dallas.

Instead of doing cardio do HIT. Run sprints, hills, etc
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: The plateau - 01/27/19 01:19 AM

Ive pushed through my plateau but unfortunately, the other way. Ive been 245 for about 4 years now, very steady. Have had a hugely stressful last two months with a lot of eating out and I have gained 12 lbs. I also just hit 40. IVe got to get it under control.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: The plateau - 02/13/19 06:18 PM

Body weight is just a number like age...its not about the number but about how you feel and what you can do.

If you are happy with your body and what it can do right now, then scrap the number and just go by feel.

Pounds are just like money, when you focus solely on the numbers it is easy to get lost in what s important.

What is important is how you feel, how your clothes fit, and what you can do. Focus on that, not the number.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum