Texas Hunting Forum

Rowing

Posted By: Brother in-law

Rowing - 12/01/17 02:13 PM

About to start doing rowing testing at work , how is it? 2000 meters
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Rowing - 12/01/17 02:39 PM

No idea, but I’m curious why. Is this to simulate a rescue scenario?
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Rowing - 12/01/17 02:40 PM

Its a good workout. I hate it.
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Rowing - 12/01/17 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Tim9880
Its a good workout. I hate it.

this
Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Rowing - 12/02/17 02:02 AM

we been doing it for a number of years now and it sucks supposed to measure your respitory endurance but it is biased. a lighter person gets more time than a heavy person females get huge advantage my time I score an 80 ish a females same age lighter but same time gets 114 ish percent. I am assuming you are using the concept 2 rower its what we use and what dps which is where this came from, buy one t is a good work out. only plus is its only less than 10 minutes and done.
Posted By: jab3006

Re: Rowing - 12/03/17 05:16 PM

We have to do it as well, and it sucks! Seems to suck every bit of oxygen out of the room! I purchased a cheaper rowing machine on amazon to help keep me ready. I could not make myself pay what the concept 2 rowers cost. I do prefer the rowing machine over running though, easier on the knees, and like luv2brode stated ifs ober in 10 minutes or less!
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Rowing - 12/03/17 05:35 PM

I have a relative that has been using a Water Rower for quite a while and likes it. I almost decided to try a rower, but decided to stay with my Nordic Track cross country skier, the old style. I can get my pulse up higher that I ever could running.
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Rowing - 12/03/17 09:42 PM

We have concept 2s at work. Low impact so anyone with injuries can still get a good workout in. Watch a couple form videos, that goes a long way in not burning out one area too fast.

Re: Rowing - 01/30/18 08:42 PM

Did my first row the other day. It's no joke!
I hated it but I could feel the good and the no impact was nice
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Rowing - 01/30/18 08:51 PM

rowing is one of the best full body workouts. Especially for cardio. I love to row. I can get 5000 meters out in about 20-23 minutes..
Posted By: Buffs 1

Re: Rowing - 01/30/18 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
Watch a couple form videos, that goes a long way in not burning out one area too fast.

This. Rowing is meant to be mainly a leg exercise, but you can burn out fast if you just sit down and start pulling away at it.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Rowing - 01/31/18 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Buffs 1
Originally Posted By: Exbellicus
Watch a couple form videos, that goes a long way in not burning out one area too fast.

This. Rowing is meant to be mainly a leg exercise, but you can burn out fast if you just sit down and start pulling away at it.

In addition, one of the most common mechanical errors with this type equipment is to round the back even when using your legs. The hips should be the hinge point not the spine. Also, anytime you can add pulling or posterior chain exercise to your regimen the outcomes are exponential - posture, balancing out anterior/posterior chain imbalance are positive impacts. That being said...for anyone adding rowing into their cardio routine it is recommended you also stretch your hip flexors. Especially if you are one who sits behind a desk all day. Rowing doesn't help relax hip flexors like other forms of cardio.

Re: Rowing - 01/31/18 06:14 PM

My hip flexors definitely feel it after a row.

Re: Rowing - 02/01/18 02:43 AM

I could not lift my foot off the ground. Something around my hips was hurting when I was done.
This was my first time to get on the machine. I wanted to get a true baseline for a 40plus year old almost 300 lbs going in cold turkey.

Re: Rowing - 02/01/18 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I could not lift my foot off the ground. Something around my hips was hurting when I was done.
This was my first time to get on the machine. I wanted to get a true baseline for a 40plus year old almost 300 lbs going in cold turkey.

and how did ya end up?

Re: Rowing - 02/01/18 04:03 AM

Not sure which rower ya'll have BIL, but if its a concept 2 there is an adjustment lever on the right side that changes the resistance. But yea if it was in the front of your pelvis I would say hip flexor. It'll get better as you row more.

Re: Rowing - 02/01/18 02:01 PM

Hip Flexor stretch

It could be hip flexors but you can stretch your hip complex to loosen up after a rowing bout. Walking for 10 minutes or so after also helps.

Hip flexors are one of the most underutilized/stretched muscle areas especially for those over 40 who sit for a living.

Re: Rowing - 02/02/18 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: luv2brode

and how did ya end up?

9:24 for 2000 at level setting 5

Re: Rowing - 02/02/18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: luv2brode

and how did ya end up?

9:24 for 2000 at level setting 5

Killin' it brutha! elmer

Re: Rowing - 02/02/18 02:28 PM

Lol , I don't know about that. It was a good wake up call for sure. I'll probably be better at a 500

Re: Rowing - 02/03/18 02:40 AM

right on for first time not horrible
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum