Texas Hunting Forum

Blade issues

Posted By: leswad

Blade issues - 05/05/21 04:11 PM

I bought this knife a few years ago, and after carrying for just a bit, it developed this kind of a hard film on the blade on both sides. I don't think it is rust, as I keep everything oiled very regularly, and while oiling today no rust came off when I whipped it down. The blade is Damascus and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to fix this? Thanks!

Kind of hard getting. good picture of the issue

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: safdm44

Re: Blade issues - 05/05/21 05:04 PM

you can try Flitz or 0000 steel wool or both, Flitz first then polish with 0000 steel wool.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Blade issues - 05/06/21 12:37 PM

That's patina, you evidently cut something that reacted to the high carbon in the blade. The only way to get it completely off is sand it down with at least 600 grit sand paper and re-etch it. You can etch it with hot vinegar of you don't have any ferric chloride. If you get down to Burleson give me a heads up and I'll do it for you in a few minutes. Of course no charge, just send me a PM.
Posted By: Bama2

Re: Blade issues - 05/09/21 01:08 PM

Andrew Griggs was the maker not sure if he is currently making knives or not but he is on Facebook and Instagram should be able to get in touch with him he is back in Texas I believe
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Blade issues - 05/09/21 01:32 PM

yes, he's around, I don't think Alaska was his cup of tea violin I believe he working security in Oklahoma.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum