Texas Hunting Forum

Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/23/21 05:48 AM

Notice I didn’t say “cheap”? These knives are under $20 but they are razor sharp, ergonomic, sturdy, and light. I have several top-notch knives that are way more expensive, but somehow one of these almost always finds its way into my pack. I think they are some of the best values out there.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mley1

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/23/21 11:25 AM

I like Mora's. I've got four of different colors and types. Great knives.
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/23/21 03:34 PM

Mora and Opinel. Probably the most famous brands in the world
Posted By: Blank

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/23/21 04:49 PM

Yes, on your selection. There are some surprising deals out there on good quality knives, at affordable prices. I particularly like this one from Cold Steel, and have a couple for the truck and backpack.
https://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Pendleton-Hunter-Sheath/dp/B088Z6L929
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/23/21 05:48 PM

I know it cost me a little more than $20 back 12 or more years ago now, but I like my Outdoor Edge Swing blade knife. It is lightweight and holds a really sharp edge. Mine has gutted 100's of deer, hogs and turkey now and skinned a quite a few. It has been easy to re-sharpen when it needed it. Today they are still not priced to bad and you can find them un $50 if you search the internet. Mine is orange colored so I won't loose it and stays in my game cleaning bag all the time.
Posted By: don k

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/23/21 07:08 PM

I have a Outdoor Edge razor lite EDC. It gets dull put in a new blade. I don't like sharpening knives and and am not good at it. This knife is great for me.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/23/21 08:33 PM

Don: I actually found one of those last month in Kansas, while I was deer hunting! I had walked about a mile thru a bunch of WIHA property looking for deer, and came upon a pile of pheasant feathers by a fenceline. Sitting right on top of the post was this brand new orange Razor-Lite.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/23/21 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Blank
Don: I actually found one of those last month in Kansas, while I was deer hunting! I had walked about a mile thru a bunch of WIHA property looking for deer, and came upon a pile of pheasant feathers by a fenceline. Sitting right on top of the post was this brand new orange Razor-Lite.

Another good thing about inexpensive knives:when you lose them it’s no big deal. smile
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/27/21 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted by Blank

Another good thing about inexpensive knives:when you lose them it’s no big deal. smile

HA HA. I have gone exclusively to this and the Havalon brand for my hunting and Amazon Box opening. Custom knives stay in the draw.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/28/21 11:04 PM

I have one and like it.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 01/28/21 11:08 PM

I have the Outdoor Edge processing kit, and the three main knives in there are all solid. I particularly like the caping knife for skinning and fine work and the boning knife for just about any meat work.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 02/19/21 02:48 PM

I have a Mora and it's a good knife.

IMO, it's hard to beat a 5.5" semi-stiff Victorinox boning knife for anything a fixed blade is needed for. I've gutted, skinned, quartered, and cut countless animals with one (and they work great in the kitchen, too).

However, some folks will say they arent sturdy enough because you can't chop down a telephone pole or stab through a car door with one.
Posted By: RGVshooter

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 03/02/21 11:20 PM

I'm a bird/small game hunter and for my needs I carry two folding pocket knives by John Primble. Both are 3-7/8" when closed. one is your traditional trapper that I use for cleaning rabbits and the other folder is a upland bird knife with the gut hook.
Posted By: 240z

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 03/04/21 02:35 AM

I recently bought a Martinelli and was pleasantly surprised by the quality.
Posted By: JRSUSMC94

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 03/04/21 03:15 AM

Mora and Victorinox. Also, my Buck 110 takes and holds a better edge than some of my more expensive knives.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 03/04/21 02:01 PM

Several years back i bought 2 Kershaw fillet knives out of a bargain bin at cabelas for $6 each. If i could go back I would buy a dozen, they have been great. I use them for cleaning fish and deboning deer/hogs etc. They are stailess, sharpen up without much fuss and hold and edge ok. They are the perfect combination of what I like in a fillet knife/boning knife and have a nice hard plastic sheath with a good no slip handle.
Posted By: TiggerV

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 03/04/21 04:54 PM

Another vote for the classic Buck 110. You can catch them on sale for $20 still, or pay a much as you want to for them.
Posted By: USMC89

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 03/04/21 07:49 PM

A Case Sod Buster with the CV blade is hard to beat for a mid $20 knife.
Posted By: Fastcrj

Re: Inexpensive Knives That Just Do The Job - 03/17/21 12:11 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SROLRDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum