Texas Hunting Forum

CA Finish...?

Posted By: Kyle Horn

CA Finish...? - 02/25/20 02:53 PM

If the scales are stabilized or are of a hard wood like iron wood does the "shell" of the CA finish hold up to field use. let me re-explain. I know stabilized wood or ironwood will do fine for field use. either direction is hard as a rock. however, if i build up CA for a "pretty and shiny" factory will it chip and look bad quickly? i hope my question makes since.
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: CA Finish...? - 02/25/20 03:00 PM

I've never tried it but I would sure think it would dry out and crack. One reason I stabilized the woods that need it, some will not take the fluid, too oily and not absorb Cactus Juice... woods like iron wood, black palm, cocobolo and stabilized woods I buff them with white compound and shine really good if sanded to a high grit.

I would be afraid to use it, I sell too many knives each year and can't afford any to come back.
Posted By: safdm44

Re: CA Finish...? - 02/25/20 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by bjankowski
I've never tried it but I would sure think it would dry out and crack. One reason I stabilized the woods that need it, some will not take the fluid, too oily and not absorb Cactus Juice... woods like iron wood, black palm, cocobolo and stabilized woods I buff them with white compound and shine really good if sanded to a high grit.

I would be afraid to use it, I sell too many knives each year and can't afford any to come back.

^^^x2 same here, one other option is boiled lindseed oil.. I use on my knife handles, Ive used on wood and sheep horn.. light coat and rub/wipe off and reapply if you want same way.. let it sit over 24 before use.. For me it has worked and gives a warm glow and shine after buffing. The ironwood I use tends to soak up the lindseed oil, on the denser areas it tends to do what Bjan said, but overall I have had good results. Good Luck.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: CA Finish...? - 02/25/20 04:35 PM

Just my experience but I put a CA finish on hundreds of knife scales before I started stabilizing and I've never gotten a single knife back because of the finish chipping or cracking.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: CA Finish...? - 02/25/20 08:16 PM

Please explain to us dummy knife guys what is "CA" ? Thanks Daniel
Posted By: ShaneA

Re: CA Finish...? - 02/25/20 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Please explain to us dummy knife guys what is "CA" ? Thanks Daniel

CA is an abreviation for super glue, i forget what the scientific name is, but CA glue is how it's shorthanded
Posted By: MikeC

Re: CA Finish...? - 02/25/20 10:54 PM

Cyanoacrylate
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum