Texas Hunting Forum

New Quench Tank

Posted By: bjankowski

New Quench Tank - 12/03/19 12:17 AM

I told my son this morning I need a new deeper quench tank since I've been making some long Bowies, two hours later he brought me this all aluminum tank... Worked like a charm. I needed something bigger, I rarely quench less than five knives each time.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MikeC

Re: New Quench Tank - 12/03/19 01:30 AM

That will work. What quenchent are you going to fill it with?
Posted By: 2Beez

Re: New Quench Tank - 12/03/19 06:11 AM

That will get it done. Very nice Jank
Posted By: Ben Kabisch

Re: New Quench Tank - 12/03/19 03:38 PM

Heck yeah!! Good addition to the shop!
Posted By: Wytex

Re: New Quench Tank - 12/03/19 03:43 PM

I have a question about a horizontal quench tank. I saw on some show or something online that if using a horizontal tank you orient it towards magnetic north so that the blade doesn't warp, It said if the tank isn't oriented towards magnetic north the blade will warp in that direction.
Any truth to that?
Would a blade tend to warp towards magnetic north in a vertical tank or is it an old wives tale?

Re: New Quench Tank - 12/04/19 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by MikeC
That will work. What quenchent are you going to fill it with?

I filled it with Canola Mike, I have several different tanks with various oils depending on the steels I'm using. I had two .210 thick 15" Bowies I made using 1084 so a tank like that comes in handy. I'm going to get a hot plate to put under the base to warm up the oil.

Re: New Quench Tank - 12/04/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
I have a question about a horizontal quench tank. I saw on some show or something online that if using a horizontal tank you orient it towards magnetic north so that the blade doesn't warp, It said if the tank isn't oriented towards magnetic north the blade will warp in that direction.
Any truth to that?
Would a blade tend to warp towards magnetic north in a vertical tank or is it an old wives tale?

I think it's a wives tale; too many makers use a horizonal plunge, I make a lot of knives around 300 a year, I did warp one long kitchen knife several years ago, but I'm sure it was because I didn't have my oil up to temp, due to being lazy. In the last year I warped two Alabama Damascus blades and have heard of other makers warping them too...I started normalizing them even though I'm only doing stock removal, and have had no issues since. All Damascus steel goes some pretty harsh conditions so it does require some special attention in heat treating.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: New Quench Tank - 12/04/19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by bjankowski
Originally Posted by Wytex
Any truth to that?

I think it's a wives tale; too many makers use a horizonal plunge, I make a lot of knives around 300 a year, I did warp one long kitchen knife several years ago, but I'm sure it was because I didn't have my oil up to temp, due to being lazy. In the last year I warped two Alabama Damascus blades and have heard of other makers warping them too...I started normalizing them even though I'm only doing stock removal, and have had no issues since. All Damascus steel goes some pretty harsh conditions so it does require some special attention in heat treating.

Thanks for the answer. Always wondered if that could be true.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: New Quench Tank - 12/04/19 06:44 PM

Very nice Bob....can't wait to see what you run through it..... up
Posted By: MikeC

Re: New Quench Tank - 12/04/19 08:00 PM

I made my vertical quench tube for my longer knives out of a fire extinguisher. I put a railroad spike in the heat treat oven with my blades and take it out at about 1200° and use it to warm my oil in it.
Posted By: ShaneA

Re: New Quench Tank - 12/05/19 07:54 PM

excellent tank , that is gonna come in real handy
© 2021 Texas Hunting Forum