Texas Hunting Forum

Bone Saw

Posted By: DLALLDER

Bone Saw - 10/07/19 12:58 AM

I know this forum is primarily for knife makers but who else would know about quality bone saws? I am looking for a good small bone saw, folding or otherwise. I would like for it to be big enough to cut deer & hog bones. Any suggestions? Thanks Daniel
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Bone Saw - 10/07/19 01:28 AM

I have a saw similar to this one I bought close to 30 yrs ago that I still use and keep it in my game cleaning bag. I also have a good pair of lopping shears that I have had for 18 yrs that I use on most deer.
https://www.amazon.com/Hooyman-MegaBite-Hunters-Handsaw-Trimming/dp/B01N7RSW4K
Posted By: duckhunter175

Re: Bone Saw - 10/07/19 04:14 AM

Go gutless! No need for a bonesaw!
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Bone Saw - 10/07/19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by duckhunter175

OK duckhunter, explain to me how you eliminate the feet on the hogs & deer? At 74 every ounce of weight I can eliminate helps and I don't gut hogs. Take the 4 quarters & back straps. As far as the deer are concerned, I take the legs off at the bottom joint & take the head off below the neck.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Bone Saw - 10/07/19 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Originally Posted by duckhunter175

OK duckhunter, explain to me how you eliminate the feet on the hogs & deer? At 74 every ounce of weight I can eliminate helps and I don't gut hogs. Take the 4 quarters & back straps. As far as the deer are concerned, I take the legs off at the bottom joint & take the head off below the neck.

Bone out the hind legs while the legs are still attached. I've started doing it that way. The front legs, I don't bone out until I get home, but I will seperate at the knee to get rid of the lower half of the legs.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Bone Saw - 10/07/19 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I have a saw similar to this one I bought close to 30 yrs ago that I still use and keep it in my game cleaning bag. I also have a good pair of lopping shears that I have had for 18 yrs that I use on most deer.

Would this work to cut the skull cap for antler removal? This could work for me also.

I use a hacksaw when I have to make this cut and don't have my electric reciprocating saw.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Bone Saw - 10/07/19 02:53 PM

There are joints in the legs that you can remove the foot/hock or front leg at the knee with a quick cut with the knife and a snap. I always used a saw growing up but a buddy in college showed me how they did it and now I can go from dead un gutted deer to dropping meat in the grinder without a saw. And I prefer it without the saw as there are no sharp bones etc.

We do not do the gutless method as I don't see it to save much time and we take the ribs and flank meat to throw in sausage/burger grind.

For gutting I use a small saw that is shaped like "T" top of the T is the handle the leg is the blade and it has a stopper on the end of the blade to keep you from cutting guts/bladder etc. when splitting the pelvis or brisket. Dad bought himself and my brother and I each one many years ago after a friend of his and our neighbors son growing up killed themselves by stabbing in the leg while trying to gut a deer.

As far as a general purpose meat saw, I would go to a butcher supply or a butcher shop and ask what they use. I have an old one from my grandpa its good but the blade needs replacing. We have a new one from cabelas and ive never been happy with it at all.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Bone Saw - 10/07/19 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Originally Posted by stxranchman

Would this work to cut the skull cap for antler removal? This could work for me also.

I use a hacksaw when I have to make this cut and don't have my electric reciprocating saw.

I have used my old one in the field to cut the skull cap but it was made as a tree saw mainly, but it will cut bone. I would think the Hooyman would be a much sharper and better saw for the purpose. I have to cut the skin on the skull first so it is easier with my hand saw. I usually use a electric reciprocating saw if I am at home.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Bone Saw - 10/07/19 07:25 PM

I carry a good set of limb loppers in my truck with me, and it works like a champ for trimming off the bottom part of the legs...and does a quick job of it. For use on ribcages, pelvic bones, etc...on deer, I keep a small set of pruning shears that work just fine for me.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Bone Saw - 10/07/19 07:49 PM

I use a hacksaw with a 1"/10 or 1"/12 tooth blade.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Bone Saw - 10/07/19 11:37 PM

I am old school... DeWalt
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Bone Saw - 10/08/19 01:13 AM

Leatherman tool with bone saw.....works every single time.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Bone Saw - 10/08/19 02:17 AM

I keep a 20V Dewalt reciprocating saw in the truck.
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Bone Saw - 10/08/19 02:32 AM

Wyoming Saw. http://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Bone Saw - 10/11/19 08:46 PM

This is what your butcher uses.
Weston 47-1601
Weston meat and bone saw
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Bone Saw - 10/12/19 08:58 AM

I do not saw through bones. I take them apart at the joints. This is easily done by cutting around the joint and they come right apart. After a few times you will learn where to cut on the different joints. Doing it this way you will not have sharp bones poking through bags, and I think it takes less effort than a saw.
About the only time I have ever used a saw is when I am removing a deer head, but this also possible with a knife.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Bone Saw - 10/13/19 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
I do not saw through bones. I take them apart at the joints. This is easily done by cutting around the joint and they come right apart. After a few times you will learn where to cut on the different joints. Doing it this way you will not have sharp bones poking through bags, and I think it takes less effort than a saw.
About the only time I have ever used a saw is when I am removing a deer head, but this also possible with a knife.

Spot on.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Bone Saw - 10/14/19 02:26 AM

Yep
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Bone Saw - 10/15/19 10:51 PM

The Wyoming Saw replacement blades will not fit a conventional hack saw. Unless, you order the 18", use a standard hacksaw blade as a template and drill one hole, and cut it to fit. It worked for me, blade was way cheaper than buying the saw, I think shipped it was $7.00. Drill the hole as small as you can get away with, it will be more secure. Cut it with tin snips. The only need I have is to cut the skull cap to get the rack off on pack trips.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Bone Saw - 10/20/19 01:39 PM

I have done the same with a Weston saw blade. 3/32” hole works prefect for my hacksaw.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Bone Saw - 10/20/19 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex

Been using this one a long time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum