Texas Hunting Forum

I Think My Knife is Junk

Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 03:48 AM

I paid like $13 for this piece of junk on Amazon. This thing is made in Switzerland (like chocolates and stuff). Wish I would have gone custom. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: hetman

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 12:23 PM

I would throw it away couldn't even cut of your leg
Posted By: 9x19

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 01:36 PM

Good grief, that's hideous!!

The knife looks OK, though.

laugh
Posted By: bjankowski

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by hetman
I would throw it away couldn't even cut of your leg

roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 07:00 PM

Legs don't see much sunshine huh..... bolt
Posted By: MikeC

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 07:58 PM

The question is, how long will it hold that edge?
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 08:31 PM

I can sharped a piece of angle iron that will shave just as good. It doesn't last though.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by MikeC

Looks like at least 3-4 inches..... bolt

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 10:22 PM

Are we cutting meat or trying to chop down a telephone pole?

For meat, it may need a couple licks on a steel during processing, which is partly to clean all the fat off the blade.
For the latter, I don’t know and don’t really care.

Are there any good, sensible testing procedures around, besides using it? If so I’ll try it, you know, for science and stuff. I’m not going to try to cut down a mesquite tree or anything though... I have a chainsaw for that.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 10:44 PM

I wish I bought all knives for cutting; but that’s not reality, you buy because it’s a disease.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 10:53 PM

I am thinking that since victoronix is one of the go to knives in the meat cutting industry, probably quite a while.
Posted By: RJH1

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/11/19 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Huntmaster
I wish I bought all knives for cutting; but that’s not reality, you buy because it’s a disease.

Truth

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/12/19 12:40 AM

At least you didn't spend too much, seems to cut good and if you ever decide to shave your legs it'll do the job. roflmao

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/12/19 01:27 AM

Idk.... that’s about ten times more than I spend on razors... for me face.

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/12/19 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy
Idk.... that’s about ten times more than I spend on razors... for me face.

Just messing with you bro, if it cuts and works for you and you're happy with it, it's a winner.

I can't buy the material to make a knife for $13.00, so you got a good deal.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/12/19 07:10 PM

I seen better legs in a bucket of chicken. Oh wait, this is about knives. I got nothing.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/13/19 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by bjankowski
At least you didn't spend too much, seems to cut good and if you ever decide to shave your legs it'll do the job. roflmao

happy3 roflmao
Posted By: syncerus

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/13/19 08:31 AM

It all depends how often you shave your legs.

wink
Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/14/19 12:32 AM

I have a set of 4 Victorinox knives that I carry on the vet truck. One similar to the one in the OP, a straight boning knife, and a skinning knife. There's also a filet knife that came with the set but I don't use it much.
Are they cheap? yep. But if you go into any meat processing plant in the US, you'll probably find Victorinox knives.

I use them to cut post mortems on cows, deer, goats, what ever. They sharpen super fast with the little hand held carbide sharpener and hold the edge reasonably well.

The sharpener does remove a good amount of steel and will shorten the life of the blade, but for the price, I'll just buy more knives.

Do they stack up to the awesome customs made on here and a lot of places? No, but they are still good knives that work very well for the intended purpose.

Plan to get another set for my home deer processing.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/16/19 08:49 PM

I host the Maine Meat Cutting School for the University of Maine. We bring in one of the top Meat Science teachers in the USA to lecture and teach cutting. He has a set of Victrinox he has used for 18 years that show wear from sharpening, but keep going. We give all students a 6" Victrinox boning knife who attend the course, and Dr. Rentfrow likes to say they come sharp enough to cut through your soul with the factory edge. They are good hard steel that require some effort to sharpen, but stay sharp a long time. I have a complete set, and I am continually impressed how well they hold an edge. Our local supplier sells victrinox 6" boning knives for $18. As said above, they are standard issue in every packing plant I have ever been in.
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/16/19 10:33 PM

All go and no show. They are good knives.

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/17/19 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Colt W. Knight
I host the Maine Meat Cutting School for the University of Maine. We bring in one of the top Meat Science teachers in the USA to lecture and teach cutting. He has a set of Victrinox he has used for 18 years that show wear from sharpening, but keep going. We give all students a 6" Victrinox boning knife who attend the course, and Dr. Rentfrow likes to say they come sharp enough to cut through your soul with the factory edge. They are good hard steel that require some effort to sharpen, but stay sharp a long time. I have a complete set, and I am continually impressed how well they hold an edge. Our local supplier sells victrinox 6" boning knives for $18. As said above, they are standard issue in every packing plant I have ever been in.

That was kind of my point in posting this. I was on the meats team in college, worked at the meat lab, several deer processors, etc. I’ve been in quite a few beef and pork plants. What they all have in common: inexpensive, quality knives.
Posted By: jsteve

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/17/19 11:32 PM

My dad was into selling the used knives from the packing plants. I have some of them, still good and sharp as all get out.
He was at the biggest flea market in Houston one weekend and some cops stopped by. Told him they were wondering where all the knives they had been getting off of perps was coming from, LOL. Certain areas down there, that the first thing they checked was for "boners" stuck in between the layers of the leather uppers of boots. They told him they bet 95% had a boner stuck in there. He told him they ought to thank him for helping them thin the herd. He told em, look around, they get tanked up here, wearing their best duds, showing off their women and by nightfall they will be slashing each other up. All the while the older mothers were buying boners and skinners from him for 5 for $15 elbowing the cops out of the way.
They did the same thing at Waco, Weatherford and Ft.Worth when I went with him.
He got those knives in by the plastic 55 gallon drums, 4-5 barrels at a time.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/18/19 12:29 PM

Dexter Russell is another fine packer knife maker. ****But.**** All those knives are made by robots. This forum is about craftsmanship, creativity and quality. Your coming off like someone who will go into a room full of master chefs and extoll the virtues of fried bologna. Kinda sad if you ask me.

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/18/19 01:28 PM

If you’re really “sad” about some post on a knife; you need to get a life.
Posted By: tailchaser93

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/18/19 08:18 PM

The name of this forum is knives. Not craftsmanship, creativity, or quality.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/18/19 08:37 PM

I have the same knife. I use it for cutting the rib cages out of crappie fillets. good knife. I have a set of bigger ones in my kitchen drawer. Good knives also.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 04/22/19 04:35 AM

It's kind of the Glock of knives. Works great, looks like snot.
Posted By: Texas Pride

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 06/20/19 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by jsteve
My dad was into selling the used knives from the packing plants. I have some of them, still good and sharp as all get out.
He was at the biggest flea market in Houston one weekend and some cops stopped by. Told him they were wondering where all the knives they had been getting off of perps was coming from, LOL. Certain areas down there, that the first thing they checked was for "boners" stuck in between the layers of the leather uppers of boots. They told him they bet 95% had a boner stuck in there. He told him they ought to thank him for helping them thin the herd. He told em, look around, they get tanked up here, wearing their best duds, showing off their women and by nightfall they will be slashing each other up. All the while the older mothers were buying boners and skinners from him for 5 for $15 elbowing the cops out of the way.
They did the same thing at Waco, Weatherford and Ft.Worth when I went with him.
He got those knives in by the plastic 55 gallon drums, 4-5 barrels at a time.

Interesting story.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 06/20/19 09:55 PM

that is the ?
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 07/16/19 04:30 AM

I got this old buck lockblade like 10 or 11 years ago on sale and carried it almost ievery day since. Broke the tip off 2 or three times and just kept using it. Filed the backside ofthe tip down with a bastard file last night and touched up the edge, voila. I guess it's a drop point now.

Attached picture 853EAAB8-FC8E-49FD-A4E4-2C4033E1103E.jpeg
Attached picture 6EDBE60F-FEA8-4115-8116-1C7DED665646.jpeg
Attached picture E80436FC-32B9-4759-80D8-24E58ABBCBDC.jpeg
Posted By: MikeC

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 07/17/19 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by regularguy11B
I got this old buck lockblade like 10 or 11 years ago on sale and carried it almost ievery day since. Broke the tip off 2 or three times and just kept using it. Filed the backside ofthe tip down with a bastard file last night and touched up the edge, voila. I guess it's a drop point now.

I bet that took some effort. Those blades are normally pretty hard! Good save!

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 07/17/19 02:46 AM

A knife is something that you create a relationship with, the curves, the fine lines, the beauty, the trust,
the feel, the lasting scars when you used it 45 years ago to clean game and your sons witnessed it; and they want that knife. Kind of hard to do with a disposable knife; much like a black gun.
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 07/17/19 03:05 PM

I never had a victrinox, until I read this thread, and got a cheap one on amazon for $7. For that price point, it is a sharp little knife!

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 07/19/19 06:48 PM

A knife is something that you create a relationship with, the curves, the fine lines, the beauty, the trust,
the feel, the lasting scars when you used it 45 years ago to clean game and your sons witnessed it; and they want that knife. Kind of hard to do with a disposable knife; much like a black gun.

If you say so. How many of us have grandpa’s old case trapper? Or cast iron skillet? Or junky old 22 that wasn’t worth buying when it was new?

I’m guessing you only wear custom boots, shoot bespoke shotguns, and order dry-aged wagyu to be used for dog treats.

A knife is a tool.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 07/19/19 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical Cowboy

If you say so. How many of us have grandpa’s old case trapper? Or cast iron skillet? Or junky old 22 that wasn’t worth buying when it was new?

I’m guessing you only wear custom boots, shoot bespoke shotguns, and order dry-aged wagyu to be used for dog treats.

A knife is a tool.

I also really enjoy my black rifles even though they are not up to everyone's memory-making standards. clap

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 07/19/19 07:42 PM

And I think my point is made; not much memory for you guys. To each his own.

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 07/19/19 08:00 PM

Yep. I’m pretty forgetful.
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 07/19/19 11:12 PM

If it feels good, use it. Over the years, I've come to believe in good steel for knives. Usually good steel costs more. If it feels good, use it
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: I Think My Knife is Junk - 07/21/19 06:48 AM

About 15 years ago I bought two "Chef" Knives at Wal-Mart, the ones where the handle and the blade are one piece.

I always pick one of them for a kitchen chore instead of one of the fancy German or Japanese knives. They take an edge, they work as advertised, and if I have to do something like debone a deer shoulder or something like that I am not afraid to mess one up.

They are tools. Kinda junky tools, but they still work smile.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum