Texas Hunting Forum

Not actually knives

Posted By: mikei

Not actually knives - 08/03/18 04:25 PM

These are more like edged paper weights or oversized letter openers, but I had fun making them. A buddy has a small, propane powered forge and a bunch of metal working and black smithing tools that he let me use (under very tight, close supervision). He works with thin strips of metal to make decorative wrought iron pieces, and when I told him I wanted to try my hand with some larger chunks of metal, he said "OK, but my little forge may not get those pieces hot enough for you do what you say you want to do." His forge worked just fine; I beat on hot metal for what seemed like hours, and by the end of the build session, I couldn't lift my right arm above my shoulder! It was basically useless for 24 hours. I tried it, and you can see the results. I won't ever do it again unless I can find someone with one of those power hammers. And, I've quit watching "Forged in Fire" and have begun watching cooking shows, instead.

The horseshoe knife was much easier:

The knife I beat out of a railroad spike is the one that killed off my shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand:
Posted By: chopsknives

Re: Not actually knives - 08/03/18 04:50 PM

That's fun stuff right there! Looks good!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Not actually knives - 08/03/18 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: chopsknives
That's fun stuff right there! Looks good!
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Not actually knives - 08/03/18 07:38 PM

I like the looks of them.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Not actually knives - 08/03/18 08:02 PM

Thanks, folks! A few hours by the forge and on the anvil slinging a big hammer makes a person really appreciate what it takes, both in skill and in strength, to be a real knife maker! OK, I've got to watch my favorite cooking show now. I'm thinking my right arm may be useable again by Halloween. . .
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum