Texas Hunting Forum

Forged in Fire- TV show

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Forged in Fire- TV show - 07/19/18 06:31 PM

My son and I have been watching this show. I had always wondered about the details on how to make a knife and what steel is used. The info about hardening it and such I thought was interesting. Yes, the acting on it is pretty lame, but pretty cool show and informative of the knife making process.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Forged in Fire- TV show - 07/19/18 08:56 PM

Chad,

if you like that show, try reading over at bladeforums.com.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Forged in Fire- TV show - 07/19/18 09:46 PM

I just use the stock removal method for my knives. Forging is a whole different ball game.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Forged in Fire- TV show - 07/19/18 10:56 PM

I like the bit of history on some of the blades
Posted By: Jason Fry

Re: Forged in Fire- TV show - 07/20/18 12:59 AM

The show is intended to be more entertaining than informative. A huge percentage of these guys are very good, and the competition conditions are less than ideal. They do manufacture the drama a little by setting up situations, but nobody's really acting.

www.texasknifemakersguild.com has a nice map of member knifemakers in Texas. Maybe there's one near you, if you really want to learn.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Forged in Fire- TV show - 07/20/18 01:00 AM

I enjoyed for the first couple seasons but its getting boring watching the same thing over and over.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Forged in Fire- TV show - 07/20/18 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Jason Fry
The show is intended to be more entertaining than informative. A huge percentage of these guys are very good, and the competition conditions are less than ideal. They do manufacture the drama a little by setting up situations, but nobody's really acting.

www.texasknifemakersguild.com has a nice map of member knifemakers in Texas. Maybe there's one near you, if you really want to learn.

I know nothing about knives it has been interesting as they talk about the different blade profiles. I like some of those Kukri knives just not sure how practical they are
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Forged in Fire- TV show - 08/04/18 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I enjoyed for the first couple seasons but its getting boring watching the same thing over and over.
+1, except for the session that they return to their home forges to make some interesting pcs, I usually record, then fast forward to the end part
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum