Texas Hunting Forum

BBQ/Butcher Knife

Posted By: mikei

BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/03/18 01:59 PM

I'm the unofficial "pit master" for all our family get togethers. I've been looking for years to find a really proper knife to use when preparing large pieces of brisket, racks of ribs, hog hams and turkey. Tried every knife in our drawer plus a few out of the knife collection of our 4 children, but couldn't find that just-right knife. So I made one! (I didn't make the knife, of course; that's an art. I just found the blade I liked and put some scales on it.) It has worked very well for everything I needed it for, including a field trip to butcher a young sow. Took her hams and backstraps out without having to sharpen it. It ain't purty, but it's functional.

Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/03/18 05:15 PM

Nice curves like a woman?
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/03/18 07:43 PM

cheers

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/03/18 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892

Dalee, while I do appreciate a shapely woman, I think I found this shape to work best for me since I've been using an old Buck Model 103 for the last 30 years on everything from elk down to antelope. I seem to like the upswept cutting edge. BTW, the blade on the big guy is 4CR13MoV and RC57 +/-

Then, having said all that about upswept knife blades, I assembled a much smaller knife for more precision cutting in those areas where the big one just doesn't fit very well!

Posted By: MikeC

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/04/18 12:46 AM

Good job!

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/04/18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
Good job!

Thanks, Mike; you're very kind!
Posted By: dredd

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/04/18 01:18 AM

I really like that blade.
I'm a huge fan of the Up Swept Profile.

It is a very versatile design for me.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/04/18 03:02 PM

Looks great Sir!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/04/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
Good job!
Posted By: Bush Monkey Knives

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/11/18 10:55 PM

Nice!

Great single bevel to zero aka Scandi bevel which will outperform almost any other bevel you see on this forum because the bevel is ~1/2 the angle of other bevels.

https://www.amazon.com/KOFERY-Traditiona...s=butcher+knife

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/12/18 11:52 AM

Thanks for the information; it certainly performs well for me and it keeps a keen edge through much usage before I have to touch it up a bit. Storing it is the only problem, and I made an oak block with a slot in it to keep the knife ready for use and out of the way between usages.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 03/16/18 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: mikei
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892

Dalee, while I do appreciate a shapely woman, I think I found this shape to work best for me since I've been using an old Buck Model 103 for the last 30 years on everything from elk down to antelope. I seem to like the upswept cutting edge. BTW, the blade on the big guy is 4CR13MoV and RC57 +/-

Then, having said all that about upswept knife blades, I assembled a much smaller knife for more precision cutting in those areas where the big one just doesn't fit very well!

I have 2 of these Buck knives, they are hands down my easiest to sharpen and hold the edge the longest.
Posted By: A-Bolt71

Re: BBQ/Butcher Knife - 05/01/18 03:57 PM

cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum