Texas Hunting Forum

Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair...

Posted By: Megtwo

Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/13/18 09:30 PM

I have a Case 5Finn XX knife that was given to me by my dad when I was a kid, mid 1960's if I remember correctly. I would like to pass this down to my grandson as he is completing his first year of hunting. It has stag handles and what I believe to be brass pins. One of the pins has broken and the other is loose. I would like to have new pins placed and the stag handles resecured. Any local, experienced knife maker that could do this for me, I really don't want to chance it getting lost in the mail. I am willing to pay the cost of having this done. I do have the broken pin if needed for reference. Thanks....

Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/14/18 01:16 AM

Take it to the “House of Blades” in Lake Worth.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/14/18 02:38 PM

I would sent that directly to Case.
Posted By: SowHntr

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/15/18 11:16 PM

I sent my grandpas case knife back to be worked on, they sent me a different knife. This was 20 years ago, sad day

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/16/18 12:13 AM

Sorry to hear that. I was hoping a local knife maker here on the forum could help. I'm not going to send it to Case and experience what happened to you or have it get lost in the mail.

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/18/18 10:18 PM

Any knife makers on the forum interested???

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/20/18 04:15 PM

Did you call House of Blades? What did they tell you?

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/22/18 05:29 PM

House of Blades state they do not do repairs nor do they know of any local shops that do. I'll just put it back in the safe and not pass it on for now. A little bit disappointed with the lack of help on the forum...am I missing something???

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/24/18 12:26 AM

Was going to send to Case, but found a member willing to give it a shot. Will update as progress is made....
Posted By: Toepuncher

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/24/18 04:19 AM

I think that's a good idea. I sent them a 1978 folding knife a few months ago. It would open fine but would only close about 3/4 of the way. I told them that I much preferred a repair over a replacement as this is a collectible knife (with red lettering on the bade and stag handles). I also pointed out that one of the handles was cracked. I was really just acknowledging the damage to make it clear that I knew it was there when I sent it, and that they were not responsible for it.

When I got it back a few weeks later, it not only functioned properly, but it had been cleaned, lubricated, and sharpened. On top of that, someone did a really nice job of repairing the crack, to the point that I could no longer see it.

Bottom line is that if you explain what this knife means to you, I suspect they will do a good job with it. You can also tell them that you want it returned, not replaced, regardless of how well they are able to repair it.

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/24/18 10:31 PM

Thanks randallss7. Pkg in the mail.....

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 01/29/18 04:50 AM

Glad you found some help. I once sent a Rosewood Single blade Folding hunter that belonged to my FIL back to Case to replace a broke blade. They wanted to send a new knife but I talked them into replacing it instead. They did a remarkable job, when I got it back it was perfect. When he passed a few years ago I got it back and am very proud of it. Glad you found someone as qualified as randallss7 to fix it up.

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 02/01/18 08:17 PM

Shoutout to Randallss7 for the absolute excellent work on my Case knife. Will be passing it down this coming weekend to my grandson. Thanks again for all your help.

Posted By: pug

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 02/02/18 01:07 AM

flehan clap
Posted By: shumpertdavid

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 02/02/18 01:32 PM

That's awesome, glad you were able to get it taken care of.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 02/02/18 01:47 PM

Score!
Posted By: JCO

Re: Mid 60's Case Knife needs repair... - 02/05/18 02:27 AM

He sure did a good job. Made it look as good as new. Your grandson will be proud. I have an old Eye Brand folder from my grandfather that I wouldn't trade for anything.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum