Texas Hunting Forum

can anyone ID the Maker?

Posted By: hetman

can anyone ID the Maker? - 11/05/15 02:05 AM

I have had this knife for approx. 30 years acquired it at a bar in central Texas, I was sitting at this bar drinking with a individual and the talk turned to knives and he told me that he was starting to make knives & pulled this one out and asked what I thought about it then offered to sell it to me for $30. I don't remember a whole lot of the conversation like names etc etc . the blade is tempered fairly hard. It is hard to sharpen but will hold a shaving edge for years. guard/bolster is brass / wood ? very hard/dark has some lines in it / maybe walnut ? not sure what the blade is made from. I assume the maker is a Texas Native heck he may be dead after 30 years & I seem to remember he liked Tequila shots straight up w/Lone Star Beer

the maker mark is hand scribed looks like "HM"
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: can anyone ID the Maker? - 11/05/15 02:25 AM

Where would this " bar in central Texas " be. That might give some clues.

Re: can anyone ID the Maker? - 11/05/15 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Michael W.
Where would this " bar in central Texas " be. That might give some clues.

well like I said the details are kind of blurry after 30 years and what I remember, were already blurry after the first 24hr's . I was 21 and working for Steward Stevenson(Detroit Diesel ) as a traveling mechanic based out of Austin , generally traveled in a 100 mile arc around Austin Area. And it was on one of these trips after we had finished a job that I met this knife maker. That is all I can remember at this point.

thanks Hetman (aka Steve)
Posted By: Mojo72

Re: can anyone ID the Maker? - 11/05/15 09:22 PM

my old blind eyes can't read the initials engraved on it. What are they?

Re: can anyone ID the Maker? - 11/06/15 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Mojo72
my old blind eyes can't read the initials engraved on it. What are they?

I think "HM"
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum