Texas Hunting Forum

Still haven’t been drawn

Posted By: justimm

Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 02:33 AM

So this was my 6th year now I believe that I’ve been applying for a bunch of exotic and deer hunts.. haven’t been drawn yet. How long did it take y’all to get picked for the first time?
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 01:29 PM

I am 8 years in and haven't drawn anything, however I am putting in for the lowest percentage hunts so I know I have a long way to go. But you can't draw if you don't put in.
Posted By: bassmastar34

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 02:00 PM

simple answer is if you want to draw often then you have to put in to the hunts with better odds I have been drawn 2 times in the past 3 years for hunts that didnt have many people putting in for them. That being said there are some hunts that have got nuts on the odds if you drawn powderhorn i think is the name should head to a gas station and buy a lotto ticket because the odds are crazy low to draw that. I have my categories that i use as my draw often ones and i have some that i only put in for the best hunt and save points
it just take time
Posted By: salth2o

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 03:15 PM

I drew Garner Exotic one year with 9 points. Then drew two years later with 2 points.

I have been blanked the past two years on all my draws.
Posted By: DRUNK

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 03:27 PM

Due to the way the drawing works, you can't predict when you're going to draw. Even the "easy" to draw hunts are generally less than 10% odds. If you understand statistics, then not drawing in 2023, or previous years, has no influence on the 2024 draws.

Loyalty points increase your odds by getting your application in the pot more times, but you're competing against thousands of other applicants so it's not a significant advantage.

With all that being said, I've drawn a hunt in 16 years out of 23 years of applying and I don't apply for the lower quality hunts.

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by salth2o
I drew Garner Exotic one year with 9 points. Then drew two years later with 2 points.

That’s one of the ones I REALLY want to draw
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 07:28 PM

My last drawn hunt was at the Chaparral WMA for gun/either sex hunt in 2020. Oh what a hunt that was. i can't wait to get back there again when I'm 106 years old!!!
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 08:04 PM

I drew palo duro with 3 points
Posted By: James A

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 08:35 PM

I have been putting in for over 10 yrs for several hunts and have never been drawn
Posted By: TexasATC

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 10:22 PM

It took 10 years for me to draw my first hunt
Posted By: WalkSoftly

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 10/31/23 11:21 PM

In the last 8 years, I’ve signed up for between 15-20 hunts each year. These last three years I’ve not drawn a single hunt. The previous 5 years before that, I drew one hunt per year. I was beginning to think I was one of the luckiest guys ever, but the last few years has been humbling lol.

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/01/23 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Hunter Daddy
My last drawn hunt was at the Chaparral WMA for gun/either sex hunt in 2020. Oh what a hunt that was. i can't wait to get back there again when I'm 106 years old!!!

That’s one of the ones I really want to hunt too
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/01/23 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by justimm

I've never not seen an axis away from the area of the ranger station at that park, we go there twice a year.
Posted By: Matagorda Mud Pig

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/01/23 01:16 PM

First time in 9 years my three sons and I havent been drawn.
Posted By: salth2o

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/01/23 03:24 PM

It's a good hunt, but I didnt shoot an axis on either of my trips. Both years I went it was really green. The chaffeye and corn was piled up under the feeders. My son drew Garner youth with 8 points a few years ago. He shot an axis and a whitetail spike.

I've read that some people dont like the hunt because they take you to and from your stand and you have dedicated shooting lanes. The huntmaster was a good guy and they really want you to shoot the axis. We saw lots of axis while driving to and from our stands at night and before sun up. I enjoyed it as there are worse ways to spend a few days.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/01/23 10:16 PM

I have been entering since 2017 and have only had 1 year of not being drawn at all. I have only been picked in the major categories 3 times. 2 for deer antlerless and 1 for feral hog. I dont count javalina as a major category but the 1 time I entered it I won teh Chap. And never saw an animal at all. No deer no javalina no hogs no nothing. The rest of the hunts were the higher percentage hunts that dont get many applicants. This year I was drawn for 4 hunts including deer antlerless which I only go for the hogs. I also won 3 hunts back in 2020. This year I had to drop one because it coincided with another hunt. Still watching my email today for hunt #5. But they still havent posted yet today.

I am not sure why I have been so lucky other than I usually win the same hunts now over and over. But not many people sign up for these hunts so i guess that is why.

Keep trying but dont expect to win those hunts that 5000 people sign up for that really is like winning the lottery.

Good luck today
Big
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/01/23 10:24 PM

I started in 2007 and we have been drawn every year. Some good, some not. I have seen a lot of Texas that I probably would not have seen otherwise. Learned about the history of this great State in different locations that you can't get from a book. Last year I looked at cave paintings with a professional guide explaining everything to us to looking at dinosaur tracks at another place by myself because the park was shut down for the hunt. Both were awesome and I tagged out.

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/01/23 11:26 PM

Thanks for y’all’s replies. I think maybe next year I’ll enter into some categories I haven’t been doing, just to up my odds. I have my own land that I hunt on for whitetail, so I’ve only been entering the places I know I can see a big buck in that category, but maybe I’ll enter the anterless/spike ones next year, just for the chance to get to hunt somewhere I never have before
Posted By: Sauerkraut

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/02/23 01:14 PM

I started putting in three years ago, and I've been drawn every year for at least two hunts. That being said, I definitely do the 'shotgun approach' and apply for a lot of hunts. There are only a few categories where I'm really selective with what I apply for.
Posted By: Mistereeee

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/02/23 03:01 PM

Thanks for y’all’s replies. I think maybe next year I’ll enter into some categories I haven’t been doing, just to up my odds. I have my own land that I hunt on for whitetail, so I’ve only been entering the places I know I can see a big buck in that category, but maybe I’ll enter the anterless/spike ones next year, just for the chance to get to hunt somewhere I never have before

I do it mainly for the ability to hunt somewhere new.

I'd also advise applying at least once in each category. I don't have any particular desire to hunt gator right now, but I've applied the past couple years because I know by the time I do want to check that box I'm gonna need the points I've been building each year. Likewise, when my kids were born I couldn't possibly make the pronghorn hunt 8 hours away from me, but I kept applying because I'm gonna need the points.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/07/23 05:11 AM

I've never drawn and have 6 points in each of 4 categories.
Posted By: kphilli66

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/07/23 07:35 PM

Seems like the draw hunts are more of a bust then boon. Why not just close the parks that they hunt, and have people come the day of and do day lease types hunts or few day hunts, sale them at the gate instead of a drawing type hunt, especially on the area's that it shows 100% success rate.

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/07/23 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by kphilli66
Seems like the draw hunts are more of a bust then boon. Why not just close the parks that they hunt, and have people come the day of and do day lease types hunts or few day hunts, sale them at the gate instead of a drawing type hunt, especially on the area's that it shows 100% success rate.

I wouldn't call them a bust. It's like anything else; there's some strategy involved. If you're only applying for Pronghorn every year, or the other top tier hunts, your odds won't be good. I applied for 55 tags, and drew two. If you did it day of, you'd still have more hunters than most places could support, so it'd be back to a drawing.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/08/23 12:42 AM

BIL and I were drawn for Richland WMA GDE hunt in 2004, the first time we put in for it. We drew a lot of hunts including Yoakum Dunes (Mule Deer me only), Powderhorn(GDE), and South Llano (Antlerless). We hit a little dry spell in the last couple of years but hoping next year for Exotics with us having 19 points.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/08/23 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mickey Moose
I've never drawn and have 6 points in each of 4 categories.

6 is not much now that points are cubed. Stick with it though. The total each year grows considerably more than the year before.
6 = 216 points
7 = 343 points
8 = 512 points
9 = 729 points
10 = 1000 points
11 = 1331 points
12 = 1728 points
And so on. Cubed you don't really get into high points until you hit double digits.
Posted By: jnd59

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/08/23 11:48 PM

I adopted the strategy that I'd like to hunt more even if it is a so so area. I've drawn something every year. This year was the worst. Only one tag. But I missed the deer draws because I thought I had the nursery sold and would be moving. When that didn't pan out I applied for a lot of pig hunts.

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/09/23 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by jnd59
I adopted the strategy that I'd like to hunt more even if it is a so so area. I've drawn something every year. This year was the worst. Only one tag. But I missed the deer draws because I thought I had the nursery sold and would be moving. When that didn't pan out I applied for a lot of pig hunts.

Yeah, I struck out on whitetail, but drew two pig tags. I'm excited to hunt Mad Island, as that terrain looks amazing.

Stick with it OP; just expand what you put in for.

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/09/23 11:42 PM

Next year gonna just apply for everything, lol
Posted By: bhtkevin

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/10/23 03:28 AM

Booms can be worth it though…

[Linked Image]

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/10/23 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by bhtkevin

[Linked Image]

That's awesome!
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/10/23 10:16 PM

Nice Muley. Hey guys, when you log in and it shows all the hunts you did not draw and the number of points next to each hunt, are those cumulative points?

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/11/23 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by bhtkevin

[Linked Image]

Wow!! Amazing! Where’d you hunt at?
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/11/23 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight
Nice Muley. Hey guys, when you log in and it shows all the hunts you did not draw and the number of points next to each hunt, are those cumulative points?

At the top in the list of hunts you put in for, those points are what you entered the drawing with. Scroll all the way down and you’ll see the number of points you have per category.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/11/23 03:38 PM

Thanks Spoon
Posted By: bhtkevin

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/14/23 05:52 AM

Full Story:

https://www.texasbowhunter.com/disc...72207-tpwd-mule-deer-hunt-horseshoe-buck
Posted By: Leveled

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/16/23 09:58 PM

I have been applying for ten years and have gone on five hunts. I apply for seventeen hunts on average. Also have applied for the doe permits in National Forest and won them three times. Never been picked for Gun Deer - Either Sex and have ten loyalty points for that.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/27/23 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Leveled
I have been applying for ten years and have gone on five hunts. I apply for seventeen hunts on average. Also have applied for the doe permits in National Forest and won them three times. Never been picked for Gun Deer - Either Sex and have ten loyalty points for that.

Funny, I was just looking at my turkey points and I am at 10. I won it once, 10 years ago obviously, but is that abnormal for turkey draws or am I having bad luck like alligator where it took me 14 years?
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/28/23 01:00 AM

I have drawn a few hunts since the 1990's. The very first year I put in for Pronghorn back in 1992 i was drawn. I could not believe that. I have put in every year since then with no more drawn Pronghorn
Posted By: DRUNK

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/29/23 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Originally Posted by Leveled

Funny, I was just looking at my turkey points and I am at 10. I won it once, 10 years ago obviously, but is that abnormal for turkey draws or am I having bad luck like alligator where it took me 14 years?

It's not abnormal at all due to the way the draw works. Take Gene Howe in 2022 with 518 applicants. You have 10 points so your name is in the draw 1000 times.

If we assume an average of 5 points for everyone else (just a guess on my part) than 517 x 125 = 64,625. Add your 1000 and we have 65,625 total entries.

Your 10 points cubed to 1000 entries makes you a whopping 1.52% of the total entries. 20 points in this scenario would be 11% of the total pot which is still a far chance from being a guarantee.

Plus all the unsuccessful applicants get another point next year so the cycle continues...This shows how having points can give you an advantage over someone with less points, but the still do not guarantee a draw.
Posted By: Static1968

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 11/29/23 04:44 PM

Between Youth, Adult and E-Post we had 33 entries this year.
Got lucky in youth as he had 4-5 points in most categories. (This was his last year in youth)
Picked up Youth Doe/Spike at Nannie Stringfellow (seen plenty of deer but no shots closer that 300 yds.)
Youth Hog at Mad Island (2nd draw) this weekend.
La Sal Del Rey ( WT, Hog, Javi, Exotic) New year's weekend.

We drew adult hog at Mad Island in April with 5 points.

we did not put in for any adult draws that were same days as the youth hunts we had put in for.

Next year we will be entering most categories within reason.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 12/04/23 03:01 AM

Point creep is getting bad with the TPWD system, I have 20 points in some categories now. Whats bad is they are fewer and fewer permits every year, they lost all Fairfield this year for example, its only going to get worse.

Re: Still haven’t been drawn - 12/04/23 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Static1968
Between Youth, Adult and E-Post we had 33 entries this year.
Got lucky in youth as he had 4-5 points in most categories. (This was his last year in youth)
Picked up Youth Doe/Spike at Nannie Stringfellow (seen plenty of deer but no shots closer that 300 yds.)
Youth Hog at Mad Island (2nd draw) this weekend.
La Sal Del Rey ( WT, Hog, Javi, Exotic) New year's weekend.

We drew adult hog at Mad Island in April with 5 points.

we did not put in for any adult draws that were same days as the youth hunts we had put in for.

Next year we will be entering most categories within reason.

I drew Mad Island for hog in March.

I applied for 54 draws, in 22 different categories.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum