Texas Hunting Forum

Black Gap WMA quail

Posted By: safarigene

Black Gap WMA quail - 11/27/22 07:31 PM

My brother and I are thinking about going to go out to Black Gap early next year for quail. I know the success rate is low, but it is mostly for the experience and fun. Does anyone have any tips for out there? We are mostly concerned about how difficult the roads are to the camping area and such. I have read one article that stated there was rock crawling to get to the camp site, another video shows it being nothing more than dirt and rock roads. Would mostly stock 4x4 trucks be suitable? Any help, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Black Gap WMA quail - 11/27/22 08:39 PM

Main camping area easy to get to, wide open and easy roads. Main access road to interior is fine too. Some of the roads to camps near the river and side roads like to some of the guzzlers a bit rougher. 4x4 trucks would be no problem though you might get some scratches on the river camp and lesser traveled roads. Know you will have no cell service, so within reason you might want to bring the basics of what you would need for basic self rescue or repair of what your driving.
Posted By: 3 alarm bbq

Re: Black Gap WMA quail - 11/27/22 11:28 PM

Been there several times, stock 4x4 will get you where you want to go. Most places will not require 4 wheel drive. You can use the wifi near the office to make calls.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum