Texas Hunting Forum

Omicron boar hunting tmrw at the Trinity River NWR

Posted By: Bigfoot

Omicron boar hunting tmrw at the Trinity River NWR - 01/05/22 04:57 AM

Ive been laid up in bed since last Wednesday with omicron. It was really just like a flu in feeling and not that bad. My wife had problems breathing one day so we took her up to the ER for a few hours and she just needed some hot soup to clear her sinuses and viola she can breathe again. Home remedy from the ER. Well today I felt different. Still stuffy but just not as much fatigue which was my biggest symptom. So this afternoon I grabbed the golf bag and walked to the driving range and hit 2 buckets and had plenty of energy. So tmrw Im going to hit up the Muzzy hunt at the Boars Den. Im not going for my usual 8 mile trek just going to walk in about 3:30 and find a spot to sit and wait for them to start moving as the light fades. All deer except the legend of Muy grande get a pass. All I want is some pork for the freezer.

I havent hunted the Boars Den yet but ive hunted all the other properties around it. Did I mention I love pork!

Report to follow
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Omicron boar hunting tmrw at the Trinity River NWR - 01/05/22 08:09 AM

Good luck bigfoot. Looking forward to the hunt report.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Omicron boar hunting tmrw at the Trinity River NWR - 01/05/22 12:43 PM

Have fun. That place is covered in pigs!

Re: Omicron boar hunting tmrw at the Trinity River NWR - 01/06/22 03:37 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

OK guys so didnt really get to cover much ground. I walked in and straight up to Rayburn Lake along the road just so I could get my berings a little on the topography and wildlife. I was paying a lot of attention to the trail and not seeing a lot of tracks in the fresh mud. There were a few here and there but not what I was expecting. As I got closer to the lake the pig signs began to increase a little but not like the signs you see across the street in page and brierwood. The wind was at my back (S-SE) at the parking area so my plan was to walk up to that lake head east or west a little and then hunt back to the truck in to the wind. As I walked in the wind did nothing but swirl and change directions so I was very worried about my scent. Well by the time I was at Rayburn Lake which was absolutely beautiful I was still feeling the Omicron so I walked a few hundred yards back to this pole which seemed to be the "busiest" area I could find along the trail/road and I went in for a few hundred yards and found a place where I could see a large area and a nice log to sit on so I decided that I was just going to take it easy and sit for awhile. It was probably 4ish when I sat down somewhere close to the Northeast side of Willis lake.

Didnt hear or see a thing so I started heading back about 5:15ish and I spooked one hog on the way back that was about 15 yards off the trail. I was walking fairly quietly and he took off right when I was next to him on the trail. Talk about an adrenaline rush, it was dark enough at that point where I never saw him either and man was that heart pumping. Thankfully he was running the opposite direction.

Every time you go you get a little piece of the puzzle to build on for the next hunt. Hopefully by Friday or Saturday I will have some energy back and can do a little more walking/searching. If this place is anything like the places across the road it should be a gold mine over here. There were no other vehicles there so I was the only hunter today.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Omicron boar hunting tmrw at the Trinity River NWR - 01/06/22 10:18 PM

Nice

Re: Omicron boar hunting tmrw at the Trinity River NWR - 01/09/22 11:35 PM

Wanting to go out tomorrow but not feeling the energy just yet. Maybe next week since I have a few days off then. Time to get back to work this week.

Anybody shoot anything on the Boars den or the other properties? I like hunting in the rain and wish I could have been out there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum