Texas Hunting Forum

Powderhorn WMA

Posted By: Xtremist

Powderhorn WMA - 10/27/21 02:46 PM

I was lucky enough to get drawn for a hunt on the Powderhorn WMA for next week. I have some questions I was hoping to get answered by hunters that have hunted this place in the past. My plan is to bring a pop-up ground blind with me and use the first afternoon to scout for a good location and then sit that evening and the following morning and then walk around/spot & stalk during the day, thoughts on this? I will have a UTV with me and I plan to corn my hunting area pretty heavy. What is the mosquito situation down there, I would assume its pretty bad. I have never hunted the coastal region for deer, what would be considered a good deer in that area, 130's? I'm really looking forward to this hunt and any additional information ya'll can provide that you think I should know would be appreciated.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Powderhorn WMA - 10/27/21 03:38 PM

Congratulations on the draw. Never hunted there, so no help on the hunt. Have fun and good luck.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Powderhorn WMA - 10/27/21 06:44 PM

Maas mosquito spray.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Powderhorn WMA - 10/30/21 02:00 AM

There are open window tower box blinds in each compartment. TPWD staff will probably have corned most stands in advance, but do bring corn just in case. They depend on hunters with leftover corn to donate it for the next hunt. When hunting Sambar, keep checking your water holes. They like to be near water or in it.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Powderhorn WMA - 10/30/21 02:03 AM

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8021582/
Posted By: tbone76

Re: Powderhorn WMA - 11/01/21 10:58 PM

Bring a thermacell! Mosquitos are very bad and the thermacell worked great. I was there last year with my son for a youth hunt. We were in a blind close to their headquarters. We had a female Sambar the first evening that came within 40 yards. My son was waiting on a “buck”. Never happened. We did glass one that was in another compartment. He ended up taking an 11pt whitetail buck that was 6.5 years old. Congrats on the draw and good luck!

Attached picture 045228CF-FA57-4700-9266-06CF016584FB.png
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Powderhorn WMA - 11/14/21 05:04 PM

Beautiful
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Powderhorn WMA - 11/15/21 05:19 PM

Any Axis or Sika taken regularly On Powderhorn? I'd always much rather eat Axis than White Tails, and am told that Sika is about as good to eat as Axis. Always looking for a new to me adventure place, especially one with tower blinds.
Ron
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum