Texas Hunting Forum

Gus Engeling WMA Youth Deer tips

Posted By: Lugwig

Gus Engeling WMA Youth Deer tips - 10/12/21 05:41 PM

My son won a youth deer hunt at Gus Engeling WMA. Does anyone have advice for improving the odds?

I'm not sure scouting would be helpful since there will be assigned hunting compartments. Planning to bring a two-man ladder stand.

thanks
Posted By: Erny

Re: Gus Engeling WMA Youth Deer tips - 10/12/21 05:55 PM

Congratulations on the draw. I assume you drew the youth Buck hunt. My nephews drew it last year. The GE is a tough hunt. Find a area with a lot of activity in your compartment and set up on it. Last year the deer moved all day. My nephews ended up taking a nice buck and a couple of pigs. There were several really nice bucks killed during the youth hunt. Have fun!!!!
Posted By: Lugwig

Re: Gus Engeling WMA Youth Deer tips - 10/12/21 09:37 PM

Thanks for the input. Will scout the compartment first thing. He drew the Either Sex hunt in October, Hopefully he'll get his first deer.
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Gus Engeling WMA Youth Deer tips - 10/14/21 10:35 AM

Elevated stands will help you in most compartments. Openings are ok but big bucks like to be in the woods. When staff puts you out ask for recommendations.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Gus Engeling WMA Youth Deer tips - 10/17/21 05:07 PM

Good luck with the hunt! Listen to what the staff tells you about your compartment. The person that assisted us with showing our hunt compartment pointed out an area out to hunt and there was a lot of tracks and rubs. As stated the bucks like the cover. I took some rattling horns and had success rattling several bucks in a few years back on my sons hunt there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum