Texas Hunting Forum

Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR

Posted By: Fitzwho

Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/26/21 11:35 PM

Drew the December Neches River NWR - Dead Water Unit buck only hunt.

Looking back I’m not entirely sure why I applied for this hunt. But what they hey, first draw in Texas.

Anybody hunted this one. Looks like thick River bottom forest. Not a tree stand guy, so going to do a little more looking into it before I pay for my tag. Have a busy season already. May not make it over there.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/27/21 01:06 AM

If I am not mistaken this is the first year it’s been hunted. I live about 45 minutes from there. It’s not an easy hunt for sure.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/27/21 01:46 AM

I had a customer years ago that spent a week every November camping on the Neches below Palestine. He made his own pirogue, only took his handmade bow and arrows, and lived off the land, he said he always got a deer. He was a cool old dude. He was a Vietnam vet and worked as a mercenary for years after the war. He’s the kind of man that would survive anything and was a great mechanic. I met him every week at the liquor store by lake Palestine to pick up his parts to repair. I always bought him a case of Tecate when we met up. He helped me out with several projects at my house when I needed a hand. I hope he’s still alive. I’ve been out of east Tx a long time.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/27/21 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fitzwho
Drew the December Neches River NWR - Dead Water Unit buck only hunt.

Looking back I’m not entirely sure why I applied for this hunt. But what they hey, first draw in Texas.

Anybody hunted this one. Looks like thick River bottom forest. Not a tree stand guy, so going to do a little more looking into it before I pay for my tag. Have a busy season already. May not make it over there.

I spent a day there recently as my hog hunting place we call "The Pig Farm" is not too far from there. https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8342531 I have two leases I can deer hunt on, so I did not put in for the deer hunt. I was disappointed I did not draw one of the squirrel hunts though. Lots of forest. Not overly overgrown. Trails and closed roads throughout that are easy to navigate. In fact I got the feeling that is going to be the main purpose or use by the public for this NWR. The only way to get to the river within the refuge is at least a one or two mile hike, but it's an easy hike. I think the dead water is the north area were I was. It is a relatively new NWR therefore there is still a lot of land designated for it that has not been acquired yet and most of it is not open to vehicle access. I think this is the first drawn hunt there so there may or may not be some legal bucks on the place, but I am leaning to the may be more than may not. I did see a few does during my flooded water paddle deeper into the dead water unit that day. It's a long way coming from Midland and East Texas hunting is always tough, but if your wanting the East Texas hunting experience, this would be a good one. Most East Texas hunting is tough all around compared to west and central texas and done more for the experience IMHO, but I do enjoy it myself now and then to change things up. I see this one is not taking standby spots so like many east texas draws I suspect there will be a few that don't show, so you would likely have a very low pressure hunt. If you do go, be sure to bring more Tequila.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/27/21 01:01 PM

Good luck sir
Posted By: TheHeadTurkey

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/01/21 08:05 PM

This is the first year that anyone hunts this NWR, therefore it's history! I encourage you to hunt it this year, be one of the first people to hunt it.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/02/22 04:02 PM

Drew this one today. Anyone had any experience or updates from last year?
Posted By: 3sonsranch

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/04/22 02:24 AM

^

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/11/22 08:16 PM

I have an Airbnb less than 30 minutes away from dead water lake if anyone needs a place to stay

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/16/22 05:22 PM

Drew the rifle buck hunt at the dead water unit in December. Looking forward to it.
Posted By: C.K.

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/28/22 05:19 PM

For those exploring the walnut branch unit, are you parking on the dirt county road and entering at one of the closed gates or entering from the main entrance off 79?

I live near there and get my exercise in on that dirt road and would like to add some distance to my walks by walking through the walnut branch unit but the gates are always closed and I never see anyone there. Can't find much online about rules/entries.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 09/29/22 12:07 AM

.... this place reminds me of the 1950's super scary movie..."Creature from the Black Lagoon...." I bought a SS composite 270 Marlin just for this place ...and wouldn't ja know I broke the extractor in the 1st 4 shots fired....in a great 1/2" inch group .... shooting some ancient WW ammo just to work on smoothing out the brand new barrel, and since Ruger has bought Marlin out of their bankruptcy they ain't making any more ejectors until who knows when,,,but Ruger is 'posed to be cranking out 22 rimfire & 30/30 lever action Marlin look alikes hand over fist...for next season's roleout PDQ.

Yes Savage extractors will work with a little smoothing out OTOH their distributors have sold every last one I can find so far....

I've still got a WW factory composite stock my US made barreled action claw extractor WW 270 Last of the Mohicans came in, so I'm not totally gun less for this kind of place. We'll see somehow said the blind man ....
Ron
Posted By: Bdontexoma

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/01/22 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by C.K.
For those exploring the walnut branch unit, are you parking on the dirt county road and entering at one of the closed gates or entering from the main entrance off 79?

I live near there and get my exercise in on that dirt road and would like to add some distance to my walks by walking through the walnut branch unit but the gates are always closed and I never see anyone there. Can't find much online about rules/entries.

Can you at least wait until after hunting season? Lol

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/02/22 01:44 PM

Have you gone to the NWR office at highway 79 and the Neches River? I mean you live right there.
Posted By: Carlos243

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/04/22 12:25 PM

Got drawn for the Nov 18 rifle hunt for antlerless/spike, very little information on the web
I may scout the place before I pay for the tag,
has anyone hunt it last season?

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/04/22 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Carlos243
Got drawn for the Nov 18 rifle hunt for antlerless/spike, very little information on the web

Drew the archery hunt last year. What unit you draw?
Posted By: Bdontexoma

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/04/22 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Carlos243

Don’t know what unit you drew but I believe all units except Deadwater are closed right now until the 15 or 16th for squirrel hunts.

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/04/22 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Erny

Have you gone to the NWR office at highway 79 and the Neches River? I mean you live right there.

I've biked through there a couple times but never saw anybody.

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/04/22 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bdontexoma

Can you at least wait until after hunting season? Lol

Hah, I have no interest in hunting it, I hunt just up the road. Just curious about access points since the website doesn't really specify
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/04/22 07:47 PM

The maps provided on the drawn hunt descriptions show designated parking spots for the hunts. They are probably the same parking for the trail heads. When I was there looking around, I just parked at gates without blocking them.

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/04/22 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
The maps provided on the drawn hunt descriptions show designated parking spots for the hunts. They are probably the same parking for the trail heads. When I was there looking around, I just parked at gates without blocking them.

Thank you! I'll take a look at those

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/14/23 03:13 AM

Won last year, live 10 mins away so scouted well. If you want a great chance at getting one lmk and I can send my favorite spot. First reply gets dibs
Posted By: Caglenn74

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/22/23 10:14 PM

I was drawn for Deadwater. Any info would be appreciated. I live in the area as well but never been on the refuge
Posted By: Caglenn74

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/22/23 11:41 PM

Sent pm
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/23/23 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
I had a customer years ago that spent a week every November camping on the Neches below Palestine. He made his own pirogue, only took his handmade bow and arrows, and lived off the land, he said he always got a deer. He was a cool old dude. He was a Vietnam vet and worked as a mercenary for years after the war. He’s the kind of man that would survive anything and was a great mechanic. I met him every week at the liquor store by lake Palestine to pick up his parts to repair. I always bought him a case of Tecate when we met up. He helped me out with several projects at my house when I needed a hand. I hope he’s still alive. I’ve been out of east Tx a long time.

If you run into a big old bald headed man, don’t [censored] with him.
Posted By: Ccundieff

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/24/23 04:09 PM

I was drawn for the archery deadwater unit in 3 days. Any suggestions on where I should go? I've scouted some and found a few spots that look good but will always to advice from someone who has been there.

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 10/24/23 04:18 PM

I’ll be there as well. I rifle hunted it last year and it’s not an easy hunt.
Posted By: axisbuck

Re: Drawn in Texas - Neches NWR - 11/03/23 03:29 PM

We hunted the Neches dead water unit It was tough hunt, no bait and archery only youth hunt. Blinds set up on the access roads. We did see deer out of range and late 10am ish. The woods looked really good so i bet there are good deer in there. At the very back it butts up to private property and lot of gun shots may be best to back in a cpl of hundred yards from there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum