Texas Hunting Forum

Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ??

Posted By: WileyCoyote

Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/05/21 02:52 PM

Last nite I was reviewing the all locations I have put in for on the 9/15 drawings and think about if I had covered all the locations within doable reach that I had either wanted to hunt in years past or had had positive experiences in that location regardless of scoring a critter. Still won't go back to Garner except to drink beer, swim in the river and dance with the BH on the Patio after my last trip out there 5 years ago.

So ...my ?? here is ...."has any body hunted Bastrop State Park ...and what the heck is a "Red Deer" ? My BH's last remaining relative of a Sister who lives outside Fayetteville and could "park" the wife there and cover 2 birds with one stone....and the bonus would be to get Eckermann's to process the critter. Ummmm THEY do Good stuff for sure and worth the 3+hour drive from Dogwood City to go get it.

I was also glad to see TPW's on line comments on the level of access doable or not in my 2x4 Cityfied F150 since I don't have a 4x4 any more.
Ron
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/06/21 04:09 PM

I would guess a red deer is a red stag but I’m not basing that on any facts sir
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/06/21 07:58 PM

I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to try to hunt there. We live about 25 miles from the park and don't travel that way very often but from what you can see from the highway it looks like the area is still recovering from the fire of 2011. The fire burned 32,000 acres, mostly within the park. We used to own property near the park and the deer numbers were never great. Also, I never heard anything about exotics in the park.

Re: Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/07/21 03:09 AM

Ya'll Google "Red Deer" for a real surprise. Who knew these were supposedly around Bastrop and not all poached out of existence in the first day or so.

I dunno but one of the major reasons I quit trying to win a spot every year was getting drawn was getting harder and harder every year, even with double digit points in more than a few categories. Besides I see mebbe a dozen deer killed every week on the Hwy's in Anderson County or even sometimes close to downtown Palestine running the creek bottoms that circle downtown, starting usually in April/May. but I'll give it another year mebbe 2 after this year.

IMO if TPW would start stocking some Exo's in some of the Parks that don't get as much attention as places like Garner & South Llano River and spread out the pressure it'd be a major help. Oh Well I am about done age wise and am slowly losing any capability in even making a hunt as I turn 77 later this week and have lost all my longtime Lease Pards, RIP. FWIW, I could "hunt" the 8 acre place behind me and inside the City limits from my patio as my house's back yard backs up to the fence line t'ween us and feed lots of people for sure.

Meanwhile, I know guys like Blanc think I pick on him, but all I have ever said is that I'd like to see TPW do the same thing that the Texas Insurance Board does with out of 'stater's ...what ever any given State requires of Texas Insurance Agents to get that state's out of State License, is required of that State's Insurance Agents trying to get a License to do business in Texas.

An old friend from Dallas moved to Arizona did a lot of EE Benefits business with out of state companies and could quote chapter and verse. I almost tried to partner with him and got an earfull every time we talked, but did not want to move to Phoenix with 2 son's in High School in south Denton County...besides I liked Tuscon 'mo better than Phoenix anyway from the days I serviced every Dillards location in the US every quarter, plus 3 other major Dept Store chains similarly from 'Vegas to Raleigh and south of Cleveland selling fancy custom Bath Towels and coordinated product's.
Ron
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/16/21 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by TexasKC
I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to try to hunt there. We live about 25 miles from the park and don't travel that way very often but from what you can see from the highway it looks like the area is still recovering from the fire of 2011. The fire burned 32,000 acres, mostly within the park. We used to own property near the park and the deer numbers were never great. Also, I never heard anything about exotics in the park.

Seriously, does anyone know if there really are red deer in the park?
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/16/21 11:14 PM

We took a hike there last year and I hadn't realized how bad it was burned. I did see a ton of game trails and there are still a lot of areas for critters to hide out. It's open enough to get some good sits and see what comes out. I think it would be awesome if they do have some Red deer...
Posted By: Roo Basher

Re: Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/16/21 11:30 PM

I would think the burn 2-3 years ago would help wildlife. I can't see how it would hurt it.

As native forbes and grasses that haven't grown in a long time will grow.

Maybe I am wrong?
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/17/21 02:32 PM

We hunted it a few years ago, I think they said there are maybe a few stag left there but don't expect to see one

Re: Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/17/21 04:08 PM

A. I've tried all morning - called 5 times and left mssg's to please call me on 5 different phone #'s including the directors # contact me at my Home ph # to explain ....and an hour + later still no return calls from anyone in TPW Austin....but my CC was billed for all 11 $3 app fees.

B. How I was given a permit # and nothing showed anywhere that I had been drawn for anything or where the Permit # was good for or how much I owed for that Permit #.

or

C. Why my TPW Customer #, TDL #, home address, or phone # not accepted and a requirement made for my Secret # that only the IRS and my bank has was be given in order to open my Account 's Entry List, that showed all my 11 entry's were 2nd drawing
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/17/21 04:16 PM

They don't charge for the hunt unless you accept your permit. Permit fee is $80-$130 depending on how many days the hunt is.

Re: Bastrop State Park & "Red Deer" ?? - 09/17/21 04:19 PM

Well THAT went well ....So ...Ho Kay...got ALL that fixed after speaking with several very Professional & pleasant young ladies... So it's back to looking at my Entry List with nuthin on it except 2nd drawing status's ...and NO issues left unattended or mistakes in denying access to my Account anywhere anymore ..... AND my secret ID # removed from my TPW file.

FWIW my BP #'s have already started going down too. Hope ya'll score somethin besides LP's .... aka Preference Points ...and NOT being left out of the game.
Ron
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum