Texas Hunting Forum

Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 08/17/21 11:02 PM

This season’s free hunting permits for Big Thicket National Preserve in Texas will be available beginning September 1.

You can get your permit at the preserve visitor center, open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. The visitor center is located 8 miles north of Kountze, Texas, at the intersection of US 69/287 and FM 420 at 6102 FM 420.

Big Thicket hunting permits allow hunters to take white-tailed deer, squirrel, rabbit, feral hog, and waterfowl, except for those in the Lake Bayou Hunting Unit, which is a waterfowl-only area. The preserve observes the state of Texas hunting seasons from October 2, 2021, until January 16, 2022.
snip
https://www.nationalparkstraveler.o...-available-big-thicket-national-preserve
Posted By: Pappashack

Re: Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 08/19/21 03:43 AM

Thanks for the info. Should be some really great hunting in there. I grew up not far from there I will be head down to get a permit for sure.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 09/07/21 12:33 AM

Got mine this morning.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 12/10/21 01:39 AM

Interesting that they only allow 4 centerfire cartridges, straight wall but they pick em. 350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster, 45-70 and 444 Marlin. I picked up a 45-70 barrel for my Encore and have loaded an acceptable round I think for the project. You can use shotguns and muzzleloaders of course.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 12/10/21 11:16 PM

[b][/b]

Re: Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 12/10/21 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
[b][/b]

Googled your post, still no reasonable explanation............

Re: Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 12/10/21 11:48 PM

Computer has not been working correctly for the last hour +.... wirty dirds wirty dirds for sure
Ron

Re: Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 12/10/21 11:51 PM

I hate that.

Re: Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 12/10/21 11:55 PM

Well THAT was not fun...as for the Free Permit deal restricted to "straight wall" ammo ...there's more than one way to control how many folks get to receive the Freeby Hunting Pass. I'd thought that the 30-30 crowd would have had more representation. Been thinking about buying a 30-30 in a "beater" configuration to use in the New area just east of Palestine.
Ron

Re: Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 12/11/21 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
Well THAT was not fun...as for the Free Permit deal restricted to "straight wall" ammo ...there's more than one way to control how many folks get to receive the Freeby Hunting Pass. I'd thought that the 30-30 crowd would have had more representation. Been thinking about buying a 30-30 in a "beater" configuration to use in the New area just east of Palestine.
Ron

I used to carry beater 30-30 in the old Anderson county WMA. Worked just fine.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Free Hunting Permits Soon To Be Available At Big Thicket - 12/11/21 02:14 PM

👍👍
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum