Texas Hunting Forum

Oklahoma

Posted By: tailchaser93

Oklahoma - 03/24/21 04:06 PM

Me and my cousin are looking to put in for some hunts in Oklahoma this year. We are mostly looking to hunt Pronghorn or Elk but may put in for a whitetail hunt or 2.
Anybody have any luck up there and willing to share some tips? Also is the non resident hunting license what we have to buy to be able to apply for hunts?
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Oklahoma - 03/25/21 02:23 AM

I have put in for the pronghorn and elk hunts for around 15 of the last 20 years and never drawn despite all those preference points. Same for whitetail, but I only put in for the better areas. So even though someone putting in for the first time can draw, I would not get your hopes up. Then too as they say, you can't draw if you don't apply.
The only one of those hunts I ever drew was a 4 canyon preserve quail hunt and they don't do that one anymore. Don't rule out bow hunting or primitive hunting one of the open wmas or walk in areas up there. The short gun season on those areas the other hand has a lot of local pressure. The only trophy buck I ever killed was with black powder on one of the SE OK WMAs. I recommend making a scouting trip covering two or three wmas in the area you want to hunt before your actual hunting trip if you do. Good luck.

Re: Oklahoma - 03/25/21 03:44 PM

Thanks for the reply would it be possible to move this to the open hunting discussion to get some more traffic
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Oklahoma - 03/26/21 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by tailchaser93
Me and my cousin are looking to put in for some hunts in Oklahoma this year. We are mostly looking to hunt Pronghorn or Elk but may put in for a whitetail hunt or 2.
Anybody have any luck up there and willing to share some tips? Also is the non resident hunting license what we have to buy to be able to apply for hunts?

You can buy the 5 day license, it's been around $75 the last couple of years that I've entered. Go to their website & look at the odds by hunt location. Pronghorn or Elk, bucks/bulls are definitely a longshot draw.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Oklahoma - 03/27/21 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by tailchaser93

Think I’m 15 points for elk and Pronghorn. The deer draws are pretty stealer in Oklahoma if you are ready to put in some footwork

Just know on pronghorn while the OLAP program is getting bigger, there is still highly limited public land up there, so you will probably have to pay a trespass fee
Posted By: Trophy Snipe Hunter

Re: Oklahoma - 03/30/21 01:37 AM

OP. I had the same idea as you earlier this year, and did a little research on Oklahoma Elk. The odds are really slim, 1:428 applicants in 2020 on the first Elk bull hunt at Wichita WR. This is BEFORE preference points. So effectively the chance of you drawing is really a lot worse. As the posters above mentioned, you have a ton of applicants ahead of you who are banking preference points, who have been submitting for a lot longer. With so few elk hunts offered, you aren’t clearing enough of the backlog in front of you to meaningfully increase your odds each year. I ultimately decide to pass given you have to buy the license to submit. Oklahoma website has some good information on the odds to help you figure out what a realistic expectation of getting drawn.
Posted By: Boomerdog89

Re: Oklahoma - 04/20/21 01:16 AM

Pretty steep odds im resident and know lot people with over 15 elk points and know of quite few over 25 but saying that my nephew drew bull tag on first try last for first individual hunt. IDK what it cost NR to be egible to enter but if it was very much you have better odds in nm or lower pt unit in CO
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Oklahoma - 04/20/21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Boomerdog89
Pretty steep odds im resident and know lot people with over 15 elk points and know of quite few over 25 but saying that my nephew drew bull tag on first try last for first individual hunt. IDK what it cost NR to be egible to enter but if it was very much you have better odds in nm or lower pt unit in CO

They have added a few hunt options with lower success rates so odds should start increasing in Elk.

Why you can find better odds in NM and CO you won’t find a unit with same success rates with same odds
Posted By: BassCats24

Re: Oklahoma - 07/22/21 12:36 AM

I’m headed up there in October to do some pronghorn hunting with my bow. Oklahoma posts their survey results of pronghorn harvested and they aren’t real promising with a bow. I have never been to the area but we will see….

Re: Oklahoma - 07/26/21 06:00 AM

Good luck on your hunt basscat
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum