Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ?

Posted By: Bownhead

Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 01/04/21 03:37 AM

Was wondering if anyone will be hunting the Teniente tract in south Texas next month for nilgai? . I was drawn for the Feb 18 they 21 nilgai rifle hunt. Will be my first time down there and hoping to meet some people on the hunt in case anyone shoots one of the beasts we can help each other getting it out. I'll be bringing a game cart and anyone will be welcome to use it. Also any help from anyone who has hunted it before will be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Bois D'arc

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 01/05/21 02:28 PM

Good Luck, I will be down there Feb 25-28. Leave a few for me!

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 01/06/21 05:25 AM

Ill do a recap and will answer any questions hunt. You. May have. Wish I could find some 30_06 180 grain bullets .not sure 150s are gonna be enough . Got a box and a half of Hornady .270 for trade for the,180s if anyone has them. Second choice would 7mms mauser in 180 grain

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 01/06/21 02:27 PM

I will definitely take you up on that offer to answer questions. Best of luck finding cartridges, all of a sudden they got scarce.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 01/06/21 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bownhead
Ill do a recap and will answer any questions hunt. You. May have. Wish I could find some 30_06 180 grain bullets .not sure 150s are gonna be enough . Got a box and a half of Hornady .270 for trade for the,180s if anyone has them. Second choice would 7mms mauser in 180 grain

Where are you located? I may be able to help you with the 06 180's.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 01/06/21 10:59 PM

I was drawn for the 2/4 to 2/7 hunt. Never hunted there before so this is a new one for me.

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 01/07/21 03:19 AM

I'm in Buda outside Austin. I drive through Mason when I go to our ranch May be heading that way in a couple weeks.. If you have some 180s just pm me and I'll get with you when I head that way. Will pay or trade. Appreciate the offer .
Posted By: magspa

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 01/16/21 01:32 AM

Depends what 150 grain bullets they are. If they are ttsx or similar then your good..but it really doesn't take a 338 to drop them. If you get a shot it will probably be under 150yards. My buddy dropped a mature bull with a 270 last week. Bit it was 50 yards broadside right in the shoulder. he was laying there bellowing and he put one more in his neck.We border the the east side of tiniete hunting zone. Wish i could help you with the ammo bit all i have In 30 cal is WSM and 30-30. Don't walk around too much or you'll just spook them to us.

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 02/22/21 12:11 PM

Any luck on your hunt Bownhead?

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 02/23/21 09:16 AM

Sorry , no update . Didn't get to go because of the polar vortex. Didn't have power or water fully until Friday and wasn't gonna leave my wife alone to deal with it, so passed on the hunt. It sucks cause I gave up 9 points for the hunt, and couldn't get my hotel refunded . . Oh well maybe next year . Good luck on your hunt .

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 02/23/21 01:47 PM

Sorry to hear that, and thank you.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 02/23/21 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bownhead
Sorry , no update . Didn't get to go because of the polar vortex. Didn't have power or water fully until Friday and wasn't gonna leave my wife alone to deal with it, so passed on the hunt. It sucks cause I gave up 9 points for the hunt, and couldn't get my hotel refunded . . Oh well maybe next year . Good luck on your hunt .

That sucks. You should call tpwd and see if you can get your points reinstated due to it being something like the second coldest week in Texas recorded history. Worst they could say is no. Feel for you. I cancelled a camping/hunting road trip for the same reason, but I did not have points and hotel money to lose.
Posted By: Erich

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 08/09/21 04:37 PM

Which drawing is this? Is this part of the regular drawn hunts?

Re: Anyone hunting nilgai at Teniente next month ? - 08/11/21 05:30 PM

It is under National Wildlife Refuge Exotic
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum