Texas Hunting Forum

Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020

Posted By: tailchaser

Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 10/29/20 08:12 PM

Hey I was selected for brierwood for 11/21 thru 11/29..I was wandering if anyone has had any recent experience hunting this unit..if so would yall recommend a ground blind or a climber..
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 10/30/20 12:53 PM

texas bowhunter has a few threads like the thf has. Read the thread below on boars den .

In a nut shell. Hogs hogs hogs and very few deer.

If you target hogs Im guessing a few kills a day is going to be possible by the way others have talked about seeing animals. Sounds like the hogs have pushed a lot of deer away from the area.

For deer I would have a climber. The area is a flood plain so it is super flat which makes a ground blind that much tougher. Doable but much tougher than having topography to use for sight and stealth.

Good luck and see you out there.

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 10/30/20 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info..climber it is

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/06/20 09:05 PM

Any area updates?
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/10/20 02:10 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I finally got in there yesterday (monday). My hunting partner in the pictures came out on Sunday and he saw 4 hogs and a deer. But he said he couldnt get a shot on any of them. He was out there Monday morning for the morning hunt also and he said he saw 6 hogs but no shot.

I arrived about noon and met him in the parking lot and we headed out after a quick sandwich. We walked in to the property and veered off the path about 300 yards and by chance just stumbled in to an area where the hogs hang out. There were 2 very large wallows. Once I saw them I knew we were in the perfect spot. As I am telling my partner this he spots a sounder of about 12 to 15 hogs. They took off so we let them go. We found us a good log to sit and and waited. About an hour later we saw a few hogs in the distance. Then about 4:30 one hog starts walking in behind us and my partner makes a good shot and it ran 20 yards and fell. After that it was quiet. So as we decide to walk out for the night the second wallow had a pig in it that we never saw because of the underbrush. As soon as we walk by he takes off and my partner put him down. This was his last day to hunt and he has never shot a pig before so I let him take all the animals today. he loved it and is addicted to pigs now. Great hunt!! Ill be out there at noon again today!
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/10/20 03:09 PM

Congrats to both of yall.
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/11/20 04:54 AM

That’s awesome congrats!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/11/20 12:15 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/11/20 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I finally got in there yesterday (monday). My hunting partner in the pictures came out on Sunday and he saw 4 hogs and a deer. But he said he couldnt get a shot on any of them. He was out there Monday morning for the morning hunt also and he said he saw 6 hogs but no shot.

I arrived about noon and met him in the parking lot and we headed out after a quick sandwich. We walked in to the property and veered off the path about 300 yards and by chance just stumbled in to an area where the hogs hang out. There were 2 very large wallows. Once I saw them I knew we were in the perfect spot. As I am telling my partner this he spots a sounder of about 12 to 15 hogs. They took off so we let them go. We found us a good log to sit and and waited. About an hour later we saw a few hogs in the distance. Then about 4:30 one hog starts walking in behind us and my partner makes a good shot and it ran 20 yards and fell. After that it was quiet. So as we decide to walk out for the night the second wallow had a pig in it that we never saw because of the underbrush. As soon as we walk by he takes off and my partner put him down. This was his last day to hunt and he has never shot a pig before so I let him take all the animals today. he loved it and is addicted to pigs now. Great hunt!! Ill be out there at noon again today!

Nice

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/12/20 03:37 PM

Congrats!!!!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/12/20 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

cheers up
flag
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/14/20 03:17 AM

Boy if you could bait out there.........

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/15/20 08:04 PM

Any deer pics?

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/24/20 03:27 PM

Update on brierwood....I spent 3 days hunting it..the west side of the property mainly..just outside of the area I found a trail that was used pretty often, and deer crap on it..unfortunately its outside of the hunting area on the edge of a forest clearing...in the hunting area I found pig trails and mudd runs often..I didnt find any sign of deer ..no droppings no scrapes..no tracks ..just well used pig trails and wallows that were used pretty heavy in the summer..I went hoping to find a few deer..I grunted I rattled..nothing..I didnt see a deer one..pigs I lost count at 150...several groups of 30+ pigs..the last day I hunted I set up 2.5 miles in..in an area with lots of acorns on the ground...that afternoon I had a single pig come through at 100 yards I could see his cutters and could tell it was a boar..I went ahead and shot him..my advice for hunting the area is pigs pigs and more pigs..dont expect to see a deer..and if for some reason the stars align and you do harvest a deer..please post a pic of it here. PLEASE..

Attached picture received_177586450691288.jpeg
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/24/20 03:51 PM

Probably why you never see any deer,too damn many hogs. For every pound of acorns a hog eats thats a pound a deer wont get.Yall should start killing every hog you see and leave em lay. Yotes and buzzards gotta eat too.

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/25/20 01:37 AM

I agree
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Trinity river refuge- brierwood 2020 - 11/30/20 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by tailchaser
Update on brierwood....I spent 3 days hunting it..the west side of the property mainly..just outside of the area I found a trail that was used pretty often, and deer crap on it..unfortunately its outside of the hunting area on the edge of a forest clearing...in the hunting area I found pig trails and mudd runs often..I didnt find any sign of deer ..no droppings no scrapes..no tracks ..just well used pig trails and wallows that were used pretty heavy in the summer..I went hoping to find a few deer..I grunted I rattled..nothing..I didnt see a deer one..pigs I lost count at 150...several groups of 30+ pigs..the last day I hunted I set up 2.5 miles in..in an area with lots of acorns on the ground...that afternoon I had a single pig come through at 100 yards I could see his cutters and could tell it was a boar..I went ahead and shot him..my advice for hunting the area is pigs pigs and more pigs..dont expect to see a deer..and if for some reason the stars align and you do harvest a deer..please post a pic of it here. PLEASE..

Sounds about the same for me last year. I did jump one deer on the edge of the property. But even finding sign of deer was difficult.

With the new cubing system on the draw hunts I won't put in for these places anymore. I'm only 30 minutes from them. But, with Laguna Atascosa, Balcones, and Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR in the same group, I would hate to lose preference points because I won a trinity river hunt and miss my chance at one of these..
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum