Texas Hunting Forum

TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 06/28/20 07:13 PM

Fall hunting seasons are still a few months away, but the time is just about ripe to ante up for shots at a slew of public lands hunting permits up for grabs this year through the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department’s lottery-style drawn hunt program.

The 2020-21 “Drawn Hunts” link on TPWD’s website — tpwd.texas.gov — will go live sometime before the July 4 holiday, according to Kelly Edmiston, TPWD public hunts coordinator.

Around for more than 50 years, TPWD’s drawn hunt program represents what is arguably one of the highest quality, low-cost hunting opportunities in the country.

For as little as $3-$10 per application, resident and non-resident hunters can apply individually or as a group for permits that provide hunting opportunities on more than 100 tracts of land, including state-owned/managed wildlife management areas, state parks, national wildlife refuges, U.S. Forest Service properties and select private tracts

MORE
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...hunt-program-proves-lots-of-15371491.php
Posted By: mickeyhft

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 06/29/20 01:20 PM

I can't wait, I always love looking through the hunts, strategizing, picking hunts to apply for, looking forward to the results, and....shrugging my shoulders and moving on to something else when I don't draw.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 06/29/20 01:56 PM

If it ain't "donation season" again! grin
Posted By: Bbq74

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 06/29/20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

That’s funny!
Posted By: mbavo

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 06/30/20 03:53 PM

I’m ready!
Can’t wait!
Good luck to all!
Posted By: Lone_Wolf

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 07/07/20 03:19 AM

Nice propaganda piece, more like worse draw odds in the world, really need to change to true preference point system.
Posted By: Whiptail

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 07/12/20 09:43 PM

I average drawing a permit every three years but I'm not optimistic this year since I drew the last two years and two permits last year. I'll plan to apply but I'm glad I got a Wyoming cow permit this year. I've enjoyed every hunt I've been on but like others wish there were more opportunities.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 07/13/20 12:18 AM

After many yrs of leases and kicking them to the curb I finally applied, like 20 minutes ago. Hope you can see the trend, exotics and mule deer only. We shall see. Here is what I went for:

Gun mule deer at Black Gap
Archery Exotic at Garner SP
Gemsbok at Mason Mountain
Private land mule deer in Pecos County
Gun at South Llano for Exotics
Posted By: C-Rek

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 07/17/20 07:37 PM

Hopefully will get lucky this year
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 07/22/20 01:37 AM

with the new points system they are going to be getting a lot less of my bucks. Now you have to just be in for the long haul and put in for one location $3 for a PP and wait
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 07/24/20 09:30 PM

Made my annual $100 donation (me and brother). So far, 4 season in and have not drawn squat. I have better success in other states than in Texas.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 08/02/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bbq74
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

That’s funny!

chicken
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: TPWD’s drawn hunt program proves lots of ‘bang for you buck’ - 08/06/20 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Aggieduck
with the new points system they are going to be getting a lot less of my bucks. Now you have to just be in for the long haul and put in for one location $3 for a PP and wait

Aint that the truth, feel sorry for the guys that put in for tons on hunts this year with not too many points. I would bet unless you got double digit points in the adult categories you got snowballs chance in hell, I don't think the kids hunts will be as affected since they age out eventually. I see both sides of it we have a ton of points in GAE, GDE, AEX, & MDG so its good there, but one of the kids drew a mule deer hunt at Palo Duro last year on his first time applying and thats not happening this year for people with the cubed points. This system will benefit us short term but long term I thing we get fewer draws.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum