Texas Hunting Forum

Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land

Posted By: AdanV

Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/20/20 12:19 AM

I want to get myself either a tree stand or saddle. The problem is, I dont know which and dont want to end up with buyers remorse later.

I hunt Somerville often. Unlike Sam Houston, theres no Pine trees, so it looks like a climbing stand wont work as most trees wont allow it.
So I guess it'll have to be a fixed tree stand with climbing sticks.

Since its public land, its obvious its gotta come down in 72 hours. So it has to be light, as I walk at least a mile, plus I walk slow to keep the noise down.

What do yall use?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/20/20 12:56 AM

cheers used a climbing atand mostly at OSBWMA but also used the hang on stands, bang not all trails have a straight tree for climbers. . Also used the ladder sticks. The ones that off set each other. They can be used for dragging deer out. Indian style, tye two ends tagether, then spread other end shoulder apart. Trow deer on & strap it ta the sticks... use your harness rig up ta the steps..
Best wish's...
flag
Posted By: AdanV

Re: Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/20/20 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by colt.45
cheers used a climbing atand mostly at OSBWMA but also used the hang on stands, bang not all trails have a straight tree for climbers. . Also used the ladder sticks. The ones that off set each other. They can be used for dragging deer out. Indian style, tye two ends tagether, then spread other end shoulder apart. Trow deer on & strap it ta the sticks... use your harness rig up ta the steps..
Best wish's...
flag

Yeah, most trees at Somerville wont allow a climber stand. And the ones that do are all bunched up in only 1 area of the woods. On top of that, I found about 4 stands all within 100 yards of each other in that area....

Id like a stand where I can use it practically anywhere and its not a pain bringing in and out.
I was at Walmart a few weeks ago. They had some tree stands on clearance. I tried to pick one up, but I saw how heavy they were, so I didnt buy it.
Posted By: swampthang

Re: Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/20/20 06:12 AM

Those tree saddles look really uncomfortable.I don't see how anyone could spend an extended amount of time in one. Plus you still have to jack with the climbing sticks and all that envolves. Some of the areas I hunt also have very few trees a climber can be used on but I still find a way to use it.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/20/20 01:25 PM

I made this combo for public land. I use 2, 6 ft sections, can use 3. Easy to pull and if I score, easy to load and remove deer. Hitch pin s let me remove wheels in seconds before I put up [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/20/20 04:46 PM

Falcon, that is a very well thought out and handy stand/carrier.

Re: Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/20/20 05:53 PM

Thanks. Foot rest folds down for carrying out game. Takes about 5 min to set up . [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/21/20 02:27 PM

up coolpics
edit :
Saddle
[Linked Image]
flag
Posted By: Abishai2584

Re: Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/22/20 03:23 PM

I have a tree saddle and have hunted out of it. I’m not a saddle only guy and prefer the more comfortable Summit Viper, but my Mantis is a tool to use when there aren’t straight trees or for long walks. IMO its a nice piece to have for the arsenal.
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/23/20 02:24 PM

I did the same thing on my stands for Kansas. I can pull the axle and wheels and move them to three different stands that I use.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Tree Stands or Saddles for Public Land - 01/23/20 04:11 PM

Nice. Try wheels on other end easier to pull or push.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum