Texas Hunting Forum

Public hunt caddo national grasslands

Posted By: HookEm81

Public hunt caddo national grasslands - 11/11/19 09:33 PM

I ground hunted compartment 22 yesterday up at caddo grasslands. Found a possible bedding area, two low rubs and a couple old scrapes. Sat on the bedding area about 3 hours didn’t see anything. It was pretty warm think that might have been why there wasn’t a lot of movement. Does anyone have any tips for ground hunting there? I don’t expect you to give your “secret spot” I don’t share that info either but just any tips or info on movement there. Thanks
Posted By: jdh78

Re: Public hunt caddo national grasslands - 11/17/19 12:08 AM

I have nothing to offer other than I have been to a couple of units numerous times and never saw an animal other than rabbits. Some pig activity around the ponds but nothing else to be seen.
Posted By: HookEm81

Re: Public hunt caddo national grasslands - 11/17/19 12:08 PM

Yeah, we hunted for 10 hours yesterday saw nothing there’s sign but no deer to be seen. I think they’re exclusively nocturnal in this WMA. I have seen several scrapes and run lines along private fences. They’re probably bedding down and feeding on private land and hopping over at night if at all. Anyways, thanks for the response. Good luck this season
Posted By: eddie4529

Re: Public hunt caddo national grasslands - 11/24/19 04:41 PM

I went out yesterday, lots of sign of hogs rooting up the ground but with the amount of leaves in the wholes I'd say it's been a while since they passed through there. Was a couple of hole that looked freshly dug up, heard alot of shooting but didnt see anyone take anything back to camp or the trucks parked on the side. I'm assuming people get bored and just start shooting trees or something
Posted By: Leveled

Re: Public hunt caddo national grasslands - 11/29/19 06:34 PM

Off of HWY 34 take 3355 north to the last spot on the right. The last .25 miles is rough road so unless you have a high 4X4 park before it gets bad and walk. This is most likely the least pressured area south of Bonham. I like the LBJ grasslands north of Decauter as an alternative. More parcels of land that border private land. Means of taking deer on LBJ is Archery and shotgun slugs only.
Posted By: CJ7nvrstk

Re: Public hunt caddo national grasslands - 12/05/19 12:24 PM

Gonna try this Saturday. Haven’t been out here before.
Posted By: lubbockdave

Re: Public hunt caddo national grasslands - 12/07/19 11:08 PM

is there still a cross hanging up in a pine tree on the parking area/camp ground by chance?
Posted By: CJ7nvrstk

Re: Public hunt caddo national grasslands - 12/08/19 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by lubbockdave
is there still a cross hanging up in a pine tree on the parking area/camp ground by chance?

Didn’t notice it if it was there when I rolled thru.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum