Texas Hunting Forum

New Hunter

Posted By: Craigew85

New Hunter - 10/30/19 02:14 PM

Good morning everyone. I wanted to reach out and seek advise for my first hunt. I have had the itch for a few years now and want to make it happen this year. I would like to hunt public land near San Antonio. Any ideas or advise would be greatly appreciated! I also have a travel trailer i would like to take if this is possible.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: New Hunter - 10/30/19 03:39 PM

Welcome, get ready for one hell of an addiction. What are you looking to hunt? Have you gotten your hunters education done yet? If not, that would be step 1. Here's a link to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website showing your options -
https://tpwd.elementlms.com/education/hunter-ed/
Posted By: Lalo

Re: New Hunter - 10/30/19 07:26 PM

welcome
Posted By: jnd59

Re: New Hunter - 10/30/19 08:00 PM

Welcome Craigew85! There are several options for public land that you can choose from, depending on what you want to hunt. Look at the TPWD public hunting website. Also there are other public hunting opportunities. PM me if you want to go into those. As said above, Unless you were born before 1971, you will need to complete hunter's safety or purchase a deferral.

Good luck!
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: New Hunter - 10/31/19 02:54 PM

welcome ta texasHF
Some good info from the others... Public hunting is the cheapest way ta go if ya dont have family or friends with place ta hunt...
weather it be using archery, or guns it can get spendy with that alone, getting familiar with weapon of choice...
My first deer rifle was a Kentucky .45... Its Old school same with archery first shot gotta make it count... Lot of old time hunters single shot...
with black powder you learn the value ofmaintanaince,...
Then theirs the cost of driving distance ta place open for hunting & the expences that go with that...
Spend time on this forum reading the Topic's in the various forums...
rofl as pappy say's : Can be tough seperating the bs from the rest of the crap...
Thar B some very good info... While most have me on thar Top of the ignorance list, each has thar own opinion, & tis a hunting forum...
A rifle - bow tis only as good as the jerk behind the trigger.. just my 2cents
pappy

Best wish's
Keep your head held high & your powder dry...
flag
Posted By: SpawnofChesty

Re: New Hunter - 11/14/19 02:08 AM

I would look at what Choke Canyon has to offer.
Posted By: johnjake

Re: New Hunter - 11/18/19 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by colt.45
welcome ta texasHF
Some good info from the others... Public hunting is the cheapest way ta go if ya dont have family or friends with place ta hunt...
weather it be using archery, or guns it can get spendy with that alone, getting familiar with weapon of choice...
My first deer rifle was a Kentucky .45... Its Old school same with archery first shot gotta make it count... Lot of old time hunters single shot...
with black powder you learn the value ofmaintanaince,...
Then theirs the cost of driving distance ta place open solo canoe for hunting & the expences that go with that...
Spend time on this forum reading the Topic's in the various forums...
rofl as pappy say's : Can be tough seperating the bs from the rest of the crap...
Thar B some very good info... While most have me on thar Top of the ignorance list, each has thar own opinion, & tis a hunting forum...
A rifle - bow tis only as good as the jerk behind the trigger.. just my 2cents
pappy

Best wish's
Keep your head held high & your powder dry...
flag

yes i agree with you i am hunter i read your post and you use word powder what is your mean by powder i am asking you
because i read but i can't understand so on after word powder
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: New Hunter - 11/19/19 05:33 PM

johnjake have you ever shot black powder ?
If you have, you would understand the importance of mantanance..
flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum