Texas Hunting Forum

10/15 Drawings

Posted By: DeleteThisAccount

10/15 Drawings - 10/13/19 08:55 PM

Just a few days away until the 10/15 draws are completed. Last chance for everyone to win some hunt draws, so who's waiting on the 10/15 draws and what are you hoping for? Good luck on 10/15 draws everyone!
Posted By: Erny

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/13/19 10:08 PM

This year I am planning on drawing the bighorn sheep.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/13/19 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Erny

Me too!
Posted By: roushmanf150

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/13/19 10:48 PM

Me three!! Along with a mule deer hunt woot
Posted By: StarvoResources

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/14/19 12:38 AM

Would love a mulie hunt, but given that I haven't submitted for these in previous years, I don't have much hope.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/14/19 12:59 AM

Oh yeah the Bighorn Sheep hunt would be an awesome one to win but I wouldn't be sad winning the mule deer hunt either. Looks like we're all in for the same hunts.

You know the three guided hunts they add in the normal "drawn hunt catalog" usually have list the previous year number of applicants between 5 - 6k. Anyone have any idea what the Big Time Texas Hunts get for applicants?

Good luck this week on the draws guys/gals smile
Posted By: Blank

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/14/19 04:19 PM

When I win the Scimitar hunt at Mason Mt two years ago it was 4200:1 so you can get lucky!!!
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/14/19 05:59 PM

I tried to look at odds for the Big Time Texas Hunts, I didn't find anything in regards to numbers. I also didn't go super deep into the googles.
Posted By: roushmanf150

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/14/19 06:21 PM

Well ive been putting in for the mulie hunts for years and to date have never been drawn. 16 pp this year so maybe ill finally get lucky!? Yea any of the big time texas hunts would be like hitting the lotto, along with the sheep hunt but not sure if ill ever beat those odds violin

me and my oldest son did draw a youth hunt for powderhorn this year tho so im pumped about that!! And me n pops drew javelina at the chap. Had way worse years in the draws for sure
Posted By: jnd59

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/15/19 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Erny

Sorry, I have instructed TPWD that I am using all my luck on the Desert Big Horn draw. It's practically a done deal.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/15/19 07:51 AM

Atascosa Exotics
Mule Deer
Playa Lakes Waterfowl
Son's Javelina
Turkey
Son's Turkey
Oryx
and of course, the desert bighorn. I'm already getting in shape for that one.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/15/19 07:28 PM

Sorry guys, bighorn is currently being reserved for me. They will announce it tomorrow.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 04:41 AM

Have 5 entries tomorrow, but not high hopes, despite double digit "loyalty" points in all. Good luck everyone.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 05:18 AM

Well, it's after midnight. It's all over but the crying. Good luck folks on the last of the draws!

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 11:15 AM

Bighorn Sheep
Gemsbock
Oryx
Mule Deer
Then multiple big time Texas hunts
Posted By: Ktexas14

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 12:15 PM

Its my first year applying for drawn hunts. So far I have not been selected for any that I have out in for. Hoping for some beginners luck on these mule deer hunts.
Posted By: Wildcat1

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 12:44 PM

Are the drawing results made public anywhere? Ron

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Wildcat1
Are the drawing results made public anywhere? Ron

The Big Time Texas Hunt winners are made public.
Posted By: elvisp_bucks

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:08 PM

Has the drawing started yet?

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:11 PM

I received my selection notice on the earlier draws around 3:30pm the day of. They might post the selection on your account before the email though.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:14 PM

Drawing has started - I'm "pending 2nd draw" on all Gun Mule Deer except for Caprock Canyons SP which is now "Not Selected"

Also "pending 2nd draw" on Bighorn Sheep.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:15 PM

Pending 2nd draw... darnnit

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:24 PM

Pending 2nd draw on everything for me.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:29 PM

My son won youth antlerless/spike at Palmetto Park , I got muzzleloader at Trinity River - Hirsch

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:35 PM

Pending 2nd Draw or Not Selected on all 14 of the last draws I was up for. Thought for sure I'd snag one of those muzzleloader spots on Trinity River to add another Trinity River win and extend my hunting season over there. Guess more people hunt muzzleloader than I thought.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:35 PM

Binary, Where you hunting Hirsch in rifle?

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
My son won youth antlerless/spike at Palmetto Park , I got muzzleloader at Trinity River - Hirsch

Nice congrats on the Muzzleloader win, looks like you got a year of Trinity River lined up.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:40 PM

Binary, Where you hunting Hirsch in rifle?

Nope, got McGuire and Brierwood for rifle.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Binary

Nice congrats on the Muzzleloader win, looks like you got a year of Trinity River lined up.

That's for sure. I got to get a muzzleloader now.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:45 PM

The only benefit to not winning a Muzzleloader spot - I don't have to explain to the wife why I bought another new gun LOL

Will be a sad time not getting to hunt in that cool weather though.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 02:58 PM

The only benefit to not winning a Muzzleloader spot - I don't have to explain to the wife why I bought another new gun LOL

Will be a sad time not getting to hunt in that cool weather though.

That's where I got lucky. My son won a hunt at Palmetto. Which is also a muzzleloader. So I can explain to my wife it's for the kid.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 03:04 PM

Me and the wife drew spring turkey at San Angelo SP

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by D Rogers
Me and the wife drew spring turkey at San Angelo SP

I wanted a turkey hunt. Never done it. Was hoping to change my luck this year. Congrats. I'll be there for an antlerless hunt this year.
Posted By: salth2o

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 03:45 PM

My son and I both whiffed for all draws this year. My son is 13 and has been putting in since he was 8. He has never been drawn for a single hunt.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by salth2o
My son and I both whiffed for all draws this year. My son is 13 and has been putting in since he was 8. He has never been drawn for a single hunt.

That blows, hopefully some better luck next year!

How many hunts is he putting in for?

I put in for a total of 50 this year (not counting the Texas Big Time Hunts) and won 3 (all deer on NWRs). Last year was the first year I entered and I missed the application deadline for most hunts - and still won 3 (mind you last year it was just hog and squirrel). Is he only putting his name in the bag for a hunt or two or only the ones with lots of applicants?
Posted By: safdm44

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 04:04 PM

Well poop.. all my near 20 yr points categories got zilch.. guess I need 30+ years of points
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 04:47 PM

Won the lottery for Trinity - Breirwood - Muzzleloader

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by tx_basser

I'll be hunting there during the rifle season. If you want shoot me a pm after the first week of November and I can try to give you some info.
Posted By: tx_basser

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 06:23 PM

I'll be hunting there during the rifle season. If you want shoot me a pm after the first week of November and I can try to give you some info.

Thanks man.. Good Luck. Looks decent from what I can tell on Google.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 06:30 PM

Thanks man.. Good Luck. Looks decent from what I can tell on Google.

No problem. It's difficult to find any info on these places. The one good thing I got from talking to the guy at the refuge was in January you will actually be able to hunt and see deer. The deer will still be there during November, it's just really thick that time of year and limits how far you can see in any direction. That and bring waterproof boots.
Posted By: HondoKen

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 07:21 PM

Just found out my son and I were picked for the Elephant Mountain rifle mule deer hunt on 12/31/19. Any advice or information would be appreciated.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/16/19 10:27 PM

Congratulations to those drawn and good luck on your hunts. All not selected or pending 2nd for me. I was hoping to draw at least one of the small game postcard draws. Maybe next season.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 12:12 AM

My daughter's boyfriend and I got drawn for Justin Hurst Feral Hog in February.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 12:53 AM

I put in for a total of 50 this year (not counting the Texas Big Time Hunts) and won 3 (all deer on NWRs). Last year was the first year I entered and I missed the application deadline for most hunts - and still won 3 (mind you last year it was just hog and squirrel). Is he only putting his name in the bag for a hunt or two or only the ones with lots of applicants?

Just squirrel? JUST SQUIRREL?? Do you know how long I've put in for squirrel? So, it's your fault I didn't draw squirrel.

You are dead to me.

smile smile

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by jnd59

Just squirrel? JUST SQUIRREL?? Do you know how long I've put in for squirrel? So, it's your fault I didn't draw squirrel.

You are dead to me.

smile smile

LOL... Actually ended up having to fly to Hong Kong the day that hunt was supposed to start too and totally missed it. Keechi Creek WMA squirrel's lucked out that year. smile

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 02:28 AM

I don't know why I'm so hung up on drawing squirrel. It's just as easy to trot down to the NF and start shooting them. I just wanted to be drawn. I guess if your going to miss a squirrel hunt, Hong Kong is as good an excuse as any.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 02:39 AM

Five "Pending second draw" here. bang
Posted By: salth2o

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 01:08 PM

He was in for 10 different drawings. I tried to put in for some that had lower entry numbers based on previous year stats. I am certain I need to enter him in many more next year. He is also entered in some TYHP drawings, so there is still hope. If no luck there, we will just go fishing! smile

Congrats and good luck to all who were selected!
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by safdm44
Well poop.. all my near 20 yr points categories got zilch.. guess I need 30+ years of points

Serious?

I better quite whining with my 7+ years of no draw.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 04:00 PM

You are dead to me.

smile smile

Squirrel is my go-to above all. I have always hunted Boar's Den on the Trinity, years before it was even open as Federal land & I always drew every year then. Now that TPWD has begun the management of it I quit. $130 & the uncertainty of it being flooded all month is too much vexation for me.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Reloder28

Squirrel is my go-to above all. I have always hunted Boar's Den on the Trinity, years before it was even open as Federal land & I always drew every year then. Now that TPWD has begun the management of it I quit. $130 & the uncertainty of it being flooded all month is too much vexation for me.

I think if they cancel your hunt (due to flooding, etc...) that they actually refund the $130 permit fee. But as someone who has hunted Boar's Den / Trinity river area as much as you, do you mind giving us all your opinion on the area? How good or bad is the area for deer hunting?

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 04:12 PM

I think if they cancel your hunt (due to flooding, etc...) that they actually refund the $130 permit fee. But as someone who has hunted Boar's Den / Trinity river area as much as you, do you mind giving us all your opinion on the area? How good or bad is the area for deer hunting?

I'm pretty sure that is correct. Either the refuge manager told me that over the phone or I read it somewhere. I can't remember.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 04:29 PM

If a hunt is canceled you get a refund and your points restored. It is possible to be flooded but not enough to cancel the hunt.and you wouldn't get a refund. But it's SQUIRREL! Put on your waders and get out there and harass some of the little buggers.

But that's why squirrel is now an e-postcard hunt. Not many people will pay $130 or even $80 to hunt squirrel when they can just pop them in the back yard with the pellet gun (did I write another unspoken statement out loud again?) Dang. I gotta quit posting.
Posted By: safdm44

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/17/19 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by HondoKen
Just found out my son and I were picked for the Elephant Mountain rifle mule deer hunt on 12/31/19. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

hunt on water if available.. if glassing and cool weather glass the sunny slopes ... hot or warmer hunt/glass shade.. Good luck
Posted By: NDN98

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/18/19 12:44 AM

Struck out. Nothing but more loyalty points.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/18/19 01:01 AM

If a hunt is canceled you get a refund and your points restored. It is possible to be flooded but not enough to cancel the hunt.and you wouldn't get a refund. But it's SQUIRREL! Put on your waders and get out there and harass some of the little buggers.

But that's why squirrel is now an e-postcard hunt. Not many people will pay $130 or even $80 to hunt squirrel when they can just pop them in the back yard with the pellet gun (did I write another unspoken statement out loud again?) Dang. I gotta quit posting.

The Trinity NWR Squirrel hunts are $130 hunts now.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/18/19 02:20 AM

Over the years, dating back to 98, I have seen about a half dozen 150 B&C’s taken. The Whitetail population is qualitative. The last 150+ came out of there two seasons back. The R.O.W.’s are decent. But, the more dense population stays close to cover. I hate the water when it’s up. No shortage of Cottonmouth snakes. I’m not scared of snakes. I would just rather not have thembe on my list of concerns when I hunt. I don’t have the same “rabbit’s foot” I had for so long. The Sand Pit in the adjacent NW area is certainly pushing the deer deeper into that quadrant of the reserve. Can’t say any more about that.

Overall, I would rate it 8 of 10 for herd population. Of course, my experience with it involved fixed blinds & feeders. Much different afoot without that. When you walk in from the 105 gate, there is a small swamp (about 5 acres?) along the road headed northwest. You need to get on one side or the other. I have seen hogs there more often than not. Left of the little swamp puts you twixt the river & the road. Right of the swamp will take you into cover. I have not been in there since the TPWD took it over. I don’t know what areas they may have deemed off-limits.

Have seen some good deer on the reserve in the last three years.

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/18/19 04:00 PM

Over the years, dating back to 98, I have seen about a half dozen 150 B&C’s taken. The Whitetail population is qualitative. The last 150+ came out of there two seasons back. The R.O.W.’s are decent. But, the more dense population stays close to cover. I hate the water when it’s up. No shortage of Cottonmouth snakes. I’m not scared of snakes. I would just rather not have thembe on my list of concerns when I hunt. I don’t have the same “rabbit’s foot” I had for so long. The Sand Pit in the adjacent NW area is certainly pushing the deer deeper into that quadrant of the reserve. Can’t say any more about that.

Overall, I would rate it 8 of 10 for herd population. Of course, my experience with it involved fixed blinds & feeders. Much different afoot without that. When you walk in from the 105 gate, there is a small swamp (about 5 acres?) along the road headed northwest. You need to get on one side or the other. I have seen hogs there more often than not. Left of the little swamp puts you twixt the river & the road. Right of the swamp will take you into cover. I have not been in there since the TPWD took it over. I don’t know what areas they may have deemed off-limits.

Have seen some good deer on the reserve in the last three years.

Seriously appreciate you taking the time to provide that information - getting any information Trinity River NWR has proved to be difficult. Hearing you rate the herd population at 8 out of 10 just put a big smile on my face smile It sounds like it's going to be an awesome place to hunt. If the Boar's Den area is like that, then the Brierwood and McGuire units (the hunts I won) are probably pretty similar. Looking forward to scouting the areas out in a few weeks. Thanks again for the great information!

Re: 10/15 Drawings - 10/19/19 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sniper John

The Trinity NWR Squirrel hunts are $130 hunts now.

That's right. They were the multi specie upland game hunts. I applied for them but I didn't even look at the cost. I probably would have balked at 130 for rabbits and squirrels. Heck, driving down the roads on LBJ you can get all you want (oops, I did it again).
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum