Texas Hunting Forum

Powderhorn wma

Posted By: tailchaser93

Powderhorn wma - 09/17/19 05:57 PM

Me and my buddy got drawn for gun deer either sex at powderhorn. I was wondering if anybody had any tips about this hunt.. We are going January 7th to 9th. I would really like to get a sambar or axis.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Powderhorn wma - 09/18/19 12:23 AM

See you there.

Re: Powderhorn wma - 09/18/19 01:53 AM

Sounds good.... have you found any good insight? This is a hunt of a lifetime for me.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Powderhorn wma - 09/18/19 02:01 PM

Congratulations on a great pick. There are a few post in this forum with information on PHWMA but it is so new information is lean. Post some pictures and story. I would also call PH beforehand and they will help you fill in the questions. GL

Re: Powderhorn wma - 09/18/19 05:17 PM

Thanks for the congrats... I believe I read baiting was allowed. Does anybody have a good idea of what to use? Regular corn or something else?
Posted By: Charlie Tuna

Re: Powderhorn wma - 09/18/19 06:27 PM

I looked at the hunt brochure for Powderhorn and this is the info on baiting:

"Baiting is allowed and encouraged. Corn or processed feed only. Corn must be certified for livestock and wildlife consumption (aflatoxin free)."

I was surprised they allow baiting as many of the WMA do not allow it.
Posted By: Mike H.

Re: Powderhorn wma - 09/18/19 06:30 PM

That is surprising about the baiting...I'd soak that stuff ahead of time, too.

Mike
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Powderhorn wma - 09/18/19 07:32 PM

Good luck dudes and congrats on an awesome draw. There was a very high harvest rate for Sambar deer down there last yr

Re: Powderhorn wma - 09/18/19 11:50 PM

Do y’all think it would be a better idea to try and cover a lot of ground or just sit over bait?

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/03/20 03:14 AM

Anybody that’s been this season have any tips or info on the hunt?
Posted By: fonzie

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/03/20 01:58 PM

I wonder how the sambar hunts went this year
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/03/20 06:14 PM

I would like to see a compartment map for this area.

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/03/20 06:37 PM

Me too
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/04/20 02:29 AM

I'll find out next week.

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/04/20 08:29 PM

I planned on trying standby next week but wife wants to get pregnant again and said she needs me to be available every-day next week. So I had to make an important decision, do I bring a pop up or tree climber.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/04/20 10:59 PM

I'm going with pop-up. You can roll your wheelchair into it! smile

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/06/20 02:03 AM

Lol
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/06/20 02:31 PM

Really cool place. Lots of coyotes and there used to be a lot of sambar deer there as well.

Since TPWD acquired the property they have been working on eliminating all non indigenous species but there is still a good amount there. (700 axis and sambar deer where killed a few years ago during arial hunts) oh and there are plenty of pigs too.

You shouldn’t have an issue seeing deer!

Good luck!
Posted By: GulfHunter

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/06/20 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by TexasOutdoorsman
Really cool place. Lots of coyotes and there used to be a lot of sambar deer there as well.

Since TPWD acquired the property they have been working on eliminating all non indigenous species but there is still a good amount there. (700 axis and sambar deer where killed a few years ago during arial hunts) oh and there are plenty of pigs too.

Good luck!

Where did you hear about the aerial hunts from?
Posted By: jmveverka

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/07/20 03:15 PM

Spent two days in the field with my son on the youth either sex hunt on Saturday and Sunday. He killed a Sambar stag and we saw 4 other stags and a couple of cow sambar that we could have killed while hunting. Also saw half a dozen stags from the roads driving in and out. Lots of Sambar out there and some nice ones too. Also killed a 4 1/2 yr old whitetail buck while passing a couple other younger bucks. Never saw an axis and there was only 1 axis doe killed during the youth hunt. Had the scope on a group of pigs when the stag he killed came out at last light. Also had pigs in front of us at first light but could not get a shot. That place is awesome.

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/07/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by jmveverka
Spent two days in the field with my son on the youth either sex hunt on Saturday and Sunday. He killed a Sambar stag and we saw 4 other stags and a couple of cow sambar that we could have killed while hunting. Also saw half a dozen stags from the roads driving in and out. Lots of Sambar out there and some nice ones too. Also killed a 4 1/2 yr old whitetail buck while passing a couple other younger bucks. Never saw an axis and there was only 1 axis doe killed during the youth hunt. Had the scope on a group of pigs when the stag he killed came out at last light. Also had pigs in front of us at first light but could not get a shot. That place is awesome.

Glad you and your son could come to Texas and enjoy our public hunting opportunities.

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/07/20 09:51 PM

I’m here hunting now and shot a sambar doe first thing when we started hunting

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/08/20 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by GulfHunter

Good luck!

Buddy used to work out there!
Posted By: Lavacahunter

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/08/20 01:04 AM

Went for standby today but no luck. A lot of people for standby.
Posted By: GulfHunter

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/08/20 01:37 PM

Good luck!

There have not been any aerial hunts there. Some sambar were trapped and moved to other ranches through aerial netting. Still a large population of sambar on site.

Re: Powderhorn wma - 01/08/20 04:40 PM

Good luck!

There have not been any aerial hunts there. Some sambar were trapped and moved to other ranches through aerial netting. Still a large population of sambar on site.

Definitely still a lot of sambar out there. Maybe he was wrong about the Ariel hunts who knows.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum