Texas Hunting Forum

South Llano River

Posted By: elvisp_bucks

South Llano River - 09/03/19 06:53 PM

My son was picked for South Llano River. Has anyone been there lately? Do you have any expert advise? Are there still exotics there?
Posted By: Erny

Re: South Llano River - 09/04/19 02:46 AM

.You just got the golden ticket. Congrats on drawing one of the most coveted hunts in the system!
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: South Llano River - 09/04/19 03:54 AM

What Erny said times 10...Got drawn 20 years ago at the old Walter Buck WMA that is/was adjacent to SLR, and sounds like the remaining balance of the Buck original ranch property has finally been encompassed by the evidence of the addition of more Hunters' Permits being offered these days, than just filling the 4 blinds they've been offering for longer than I can remember.

FWIW I've not been able to draw SLR in any Category from EXO, GDA, GDE (long time ago used to have a Spring Turkey hunt too that allowed exotics, in a shotgun only hunt) ....in the last 20 years. Congrats on hitting a Winner for sure & Just be sure to take plenty of Ice Chests
You really need to go buy a bunch of PowerBall tickets too with that kind of luck.
Ron
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: South Llano River - 09/04/19 05:44 PM

My family and I were there during the summer of 2017 and I saw plenty of axis deer in that park. I also saw a few whitetails. Definitely kill yourself a "few" axis. You will love that axis meat!
Posted By: elvisp_bucks

Re: South Llano River - 09/04/19 08:04 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll bring plenty of bullets and coolers. My kiddo is so excited!!!
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: South Llano River - 09/05/19 01:05 AM

Did the antlerless hunt there in Dec with my BIL. I got three WT slickheads and an Axis buck. My BIL got a couple of WT slickheads and a couple of Axis doe. Great hunt.
Posted By: TxHuntFish

Re: South Llano River - 09/05/19 04:38 PM

My son was drawn there 3 years ago. Blinds are drawn by the kids based on the order they were selected in the lottery. Axis will only be down close to the river. Take A LOT of corn, corn as much as you can in all directions of your blind that you can get a clear shot from. 8 kids on the hunt we were on and not a single Axis was taken, and only a couple seen, we did not see one and we hunted down by the river. The other youth hunt that year had several Axis taken, just the timing, the Axis in that area travel large distance up and down the river.

My son did take 3 WT doe and one hog. We saw a nice buck first day but never got a shot. If you want a chance at a real nice WT buck pick one of the blinds at the very back of the park, long way from the river, but there were a couple of very nice bucks taken back in that area.
Posted By: Coastalquacker

Re: South Llano River - 09/14/19 02:49 AM

my son and i hunted there a couple of years ago, nearly everyone had their 3 WT. most of the stands around the entry road and park were good. i saw 3 axis but had no shot at any of them. My son was leaving the blind for a potty break and had 20 of them across a field but the rule is no shooting outside of blind. there were 6 or so axis killed. while i was at the cleaning station/check station i could hear some bulls roaring up the road but no one was hunting up there.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: South Llano River - 09/14/19 01:23 PM

We took a couple of bales of alfalfa but one bale would have sufficed. That worked better than corn on the axis. We put both alfalfa and corn out. WT keyed in on the corn.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum