Texas Hunting Forum

draw hunt system

Posted By: dawson55

draw hunt system - 08/16/19 09:07 PM

I was thinking about ways this system could be better.
1) Would be nice if all hunts where drawn on the same day. with enough time to make arrangements at work and for the hunt. Could possibly open up say June 1st and drawn August 1st.
2) First draw open to everyone, second draw higher loyalty points get preference. This would at least make a loyalty points worth something
3) Stop multiple wins in the same category in the same year

Im sure there are plenty of ideas, please list any if you have them. Just curious to see others opinions. And maybe the parks system will see this and look into changes.

Am I a bit bitter? probably so. I have invested thousands of dollars into this system over the years and never been selected. While seeing a guy get drawn for 8-10 hunts in a 2 year period. In his first 2 years of applying. Good for him but that leads me to believe the system could be tweaked a little.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: draw hunt system - 08/16/19 11:11 PM

TPWD just did a survey of several applicants about the drawn hunt system and possible changes including a place for comments. It would have been too soon for this year, but I would not be surprised if there were some changes next year as a result of the survey.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: draw hunt system - 08/16/19 11:20 PM

You can always email your thoughts and concerns to TPWD, they are pretty good at responding.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/16/19 11:37 PM

The problem for guys like me and I assume you too dawson is that once we build up a lot of points we tend to not want to wage them on the easy to draw hunts and only apply for the more desirable hard to draw hunts. That puts the draw odds well against drawing anything. The guys with few to no points can put in for any and everything including several of the easy to draw hunts with nothing to lose. Odds are good for drawing many of the hunts. Some have been guaranteed to draw before with less putting in for the hunt than the number of permits. But someone with over 20 points would be foolish to throw those points away on a hunt like that.

Something I saw another state start doing with a similar draw system was allowing hunters to choose how many of their points to wage on a draw. That way they would not lose all loyalty points if they get drawn for the less desirable or easy to draw hunt.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: draw hunt system - 08/16/19 11:40 PM

The guy I talked to who answere the phone at 4200 Smith School Rd did clear up why Non Res entry's are allowed to participate on the same basis as Res Entery's...when he said...TPW CANNOT set the Game Laws to exclude Non Residents and right now you can thank the Legislature for refusing to correct that situation. Well I just wrote on here what I really wanted to say...and erased it. Snail Mail still gets my point across to the Party I want to speak to whether it amounts to a hill of beans or not...and THF is not that place. So we can &^%$ 'tch all we want to but until that System is changed and TPW is put in FULL control of the Game Laws all we can do is *&^%$ about it...:and VOTE the B@^*&^%d's out of office. bang:
JMHO & YMMV
Ron
Posted By: Aggieduck

Re: draw hunt system - 08/17/19 12:07 AM

What's wrong with the system?

I've been pretty lucky with getting a draw and have been putting in for 10-11 years. I did burn 9 PPs on Archery Deer at RCWMA south unit this year.

I wasn't happy when it changed to online and allowed the unlimited entries.

The only thing I'd like to see is a separation of residents and non resident. I think Texans should have a leg up over people coming from out of state. We have an uphill battle when we go out of state so would kinda like to see the same.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/17/19 12:25 AM

Should be a way to fix it without excluding non residents and without calling on legistature. Last I looked non residents pay more for a hunting license than residents do so I would think it not that difficult to have non residents pay more for a draw entry than residents as well.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: draw hunt system - 08/17/19 03:10 AM

If you do the math, points really don't significantly increase your odds of getting drawn, especially in the hunts with long draw odds. One thing that could help would be squaring the points like some other states do. That would help folks who have a lot of points get drawn before they get too old to hunt.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/17/19 01:52 PM

P'horse...IMO ...that's why TPW changed the name of the "point participation award inducment accrual system" from "Preference Point's" to "Loyaty Points" . There is NO Prefernce's given regardless of the age or # of Points an Applicant has in a given category. There never has been a weighted Preference System ala the Rocky Mountain States - where you can "buy" PP's and add them to your accural account without the opportunity of winning a Permit.... used in Texas TPW Lottery's of any kind have that I know in the 30+ years I've been sending TPW $'s to participate in a Lottery Drawing.

When I was talking to the guy who ans'd the phone at 4200 Smith School Rd, now some 2 weeks ago, and he said whatever it was that he repeated seveal times that it wasn't up to TPW and that the Lege was in control of the State Law that was being applied ...I told him about my experiences with the Tx Dept of Insurance Regs about how out of state non Res Insurance Agents seeking a TX Ins License, and the Rules that were applied by the guys at 333 Guadalupe St in Austin.

Since both of us were getting nowhere we both hung up amicably and frustrated at the lack of progress he was able to give me in a better solution to my quandry. Both of us seemed to agree that the solution was way above our Pay Grades without exactly saying that on tape. The guy was a nice young man, well spoken and understood completely what I was talking about and why...apparently not New News to him either LOLOL ...but No Mention of any changes being considered to change anything from the current system.
Ron

Re: draw hunt system - 08/17/19 10:19 PM

Im not sure how many where polled, but I was one of them. I have been the last 2 years and have expressed changes in both. I have spoke with them on the phone and expressed changes also. looks like in need to contact my state representative.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/17/19 10:20 PM

Please guys express any ideas you have for changes so I can discuss them with any party I can. You never know.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: draw hunt system - 08/18/19 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by dawson55
Please guys express any ideas you have for changes so I can discuss them with any party I can. You never know.

Required to have a hunting license before applying. If thats means to move the expiration date to July so be it.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/18/19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote
P'horse...IMO ...that's why TPW changed the name of the "point participation award inducment accrual system" from "Preference Point's" to "Loyaty Points" . There is NO Prefernce's given regardless of the age or # of Points an Applicant has in a given category. There never has been a weighted Preference System ala the Rocky Mountain States - where you can "buy" PP's and add them to your accural account without the opportunity of winning a Permit.... used in Texas TPW Lottery's of any kind have that I know in the 30+ years I've been sending TPW $'s to participate in a Lottery Drawing.

When I was talking to the guy who ans'd the phone at 4200 Smith School Rd, now some 2 weeks ago, and he said whatever it was that he repeated seveal times that it wasn't up to TPW and that the Lege was in control of the State Law that was being applied ...I told him about my experiences with the Tx Dept of Insurance Regs about how out of state non Res Insurance Agents seeking a TX Ins License, and the Rules that were applied by the guys at 333 Guadalupe St in Austin.

Since both of us were getting nowhere we both hung up amicably and frustrated at the lack of progress he was able to give me in a better solution to my quandry. Both of us seemed to agree that the solution was way above our Pay Grades without exactly saying that on tape. The guy was a nice young man, well spoken and understood completely what I was talking about and why...apparently not New News to him either LOLOL ...but No Mention of any changes being considered to change anything from the current system.
Ron

True PP system(like CO) is a terrible idea solely due to point creep. We don’t offer enough hunts to keep it from being an exponential disaster.

Loyalty(increased number of names is n the hat) is the only way to go

A split system like AZ where there is a random and PP max tag may work, but again dont see us having enough hunts to keep pp at a sustainable level.

I thought about limiting species application choices to three, but not sure that’s the right answer but would increase lower sought after draw odds

As it stands being in the stand by list is best way to capitalize on the current system
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: draw hunt system - 08/18/19 02:32 AM

Im not sure how many where polled, but I was one of them. I have been the last 2 years and have expressed changes in both. I have spoke with them on the phone and expressed changes also. looks like in need to contact my state representative.

I was sent the survey too, I think they may have sent it to those that had lots of preference points built up, it will be interesting if they make any changes, theres lots of people with 10, 20 or more points built up that aren't drawing. I agree points need to be weighted heavier whether thats a multiplier, limiting the # of hunts you can apply for in a category. Or probably the best idea only allowing you to draw one hunt per year in a category, I would like them to only allow 1 applicaton per category like the old days but that won't happen as that would hurt the cash they are bringing in with this new system, you would think with this new system being more lucrative the permit #'s for the big game categories specifically deer would increase or at least maintain but they have fewer and fewer every year.
Posted By: Hunter307

Re: draw hunt system - 08/18/19 09:23 PM

Ive only drawn one hunt since finding out about the public hunts, but I like the system. I prefer the loyalty points vs preference.
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: draw hunt system - 08/18/19 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Required to have a hunting license before applying. If thats means to move the expiration date to July so be it.

Posted By: Stevarino

Re: draw hunt system - 08/18/19 10:44 PM

It would be nice if you had points for each hunt and not each category. For folks like sniper John who are really racking up points would be able to pick hunts and not throw away 15-20 points on a less attractive hunt within the same category.

Giving points exponentially would help too. So year one gets one point, but year 2 gets 2 points, so you’d have 3. Again, those who’ve struck out 15-20 years would have a lot more skin on the game every year.

Maybe a point for every hunt you apply for. Maybe additional points for other parks and wildlife purchases.. season parks pass for points etc.. just spit balling
Posted By: syncerus

Re: draw hunt system - 08/19/19 03:42 AM

The trick is a system that rewards entering every year without discouraging newcomers, which is obviously a balancing act. I don't suggest the perfect system is easy, but there should be a solution that is a reasonable compromise of goals.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/19/19 04:21 AM

Give my best to the TPW guys who run this Lottery, they've finally convinced me of the future, based this last 20 years of participating every year, and the years after we moved home to Texas in '75 and was on deer leases almost every year, and my LOttery entries were more sporadic ....X's the # of Hunts I've won. FWIW I'll always send in at least 1 $3 Lottery Entery to keep my "Loyalty Points" from being deleted.

Scratch Off's odds are who knows how succesful but the proceeds could at least allow you to buy Hunts on the commercial market with a much higher % of guaranteed results...or just keep the Entry $'s and any Lottery $'s won to waste on a better grade of scotch... aim
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

Re: draw hunt system - 08/22/19 03:10 AM

Give my best to the TPW guys who run this Lottery, they've finally convinced me of the future, based this last 20 years of participating every year, and the years after we moved home to Texas in '75 and was on deer leases almost every year, and my LOttery entries were more sporadic ....X's the # of Hunts I've won. FWIW I'll always send in at least 1 $3 Lottery Entery to keep my "Loyalty Points" from being deleted.

Scratch Off's odds are who knows how succesful but the proceeds could at least allow you to buy Hunts on the commercial market with a much higher % of guaranteed results...or just keep the Entry $'s and any Lottery $'s won to waste on a better grade of scotch... aim
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

FWIW not entering doesn't delete your points, dad hasn't entered since 2000 and all his points are still there, they never go away!
Posted By: Trash Fish and Cull Bucks

Re: draw hunt system - 08/22/19 02:59 PM

There is never going to be a system that keep everyone happy. There are just too many people applying for a limited number of permits. If 1000 apply for 1 permit, 999 people won't be happy. Next year there will be 999 people with 2 points and only 1 will get drawn. That leaves 998 pizzing and moaning that the system doesn't work. The next year 997 people will have 3 points and still only 1 will be drawn. Guess what, 996 people will be sniffling and whining again because they had 3 points and didn't get picked. Eventually, a whole mess of people will have 20+ points......and not get drawn, and so on until the last person is picked after 1000 years. And even this assumes nobody new ever wants to hunt. If a new applicant has to wait 1,000 years before they get drawn, reckon there's any chance they will apply? THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE IT FAIR AND RANDOM FOR EVERYBODY, BOTH OLDTIMERS AS WELL AS NEWCOMERS, IS WITH THE LOYALY POINT SYSTEM. Anything that does more to encourage folks with more points, just discourages new applicants. In the example above, only 1 person will be drawn, REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF POINTS YOU HAVE. There will always be many people, with many points, that do nor get drawn.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/23/19 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Trash Fish and Cull Bucks
There is never going to be a system that keep everyone happy. There are just too many people applying for a limited number of permits. If 1000 apply for 1 permit, 999 people won't be happy. Next year there will be 999 people with 2 points and only 1 will get drawn. That leaves 998 pizzing and moaning that the system doesn't work. The next year 997 people will have 3 points and still only 1 will be drawn. Guess what, 996 people will be sniffling and whining again because they had 3 points and didn't get picked. Eventually, a whole mess of people will have 20+ points......and not get drawn, and so on until the last person is picked after 1000 years. And even this assumes nobody new ever wants to hunt. If a new applicant has to wait 1,000 years before they get drawn, reckon there's any chance they will apply? THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE IT FAIR AND RANDOM FOR EVERYBODY, BOTH OLDTIMERS AS WELL AS NEWCOMERS, IS WITH THE LOYALY POINT SYSTEM. Anything that does more to encourage folks with more points, just discourages new applicants. In the example above, only 1 person will be drawn, REGARDLESS OF THE NUMBER OF POINTS YOU HAVE. There will always be many people, with many points, that do nor get drawn.

Ever hear of point creep, its not as bad with this system as say compared to colorado but its already started to happen, the # of guys with 20 or even 30 point grows every year, they will have to do something eventually.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/23/19 01:11 PM

I'm gonna beat a tired drum again about TPW allowing/encouraging Non Residents to participate in the Hunting Lottery without any kind of penalty or restrictions, this LP system will never do anything except frustrate and continue to penalize without any tit for tat in same benefits from other states when TEXAS RESIDENT HUNTERS,WHO'S PROPERTY TAXES PAY FOR ALL OF THE STATE OF TEXAS'S EXPENDITURES. As far as I know Almost NONE of the other states pay for their state governments expenses out of Property Taxes, but from STATE INCOME TAXES. Mebbe it's time to revisit adding Income Tax's for Texas Residents so the Lege can continue to finance the Rainy Day Fund to a Billion+ $'s that is/has NEVER BEEN or Gonna Get tapped even for emergency's that it was designed to address. Reminds me of one of the last price increase on License's TPW sold us, saying that it would finance rebuilding fish hatcheries and adding more land for the public's access.HMMM...Really???
JMHO & YMMV
Ron
Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Re: draw hunt system - 08/23/19 02:22 PM

Let the Non residents, that are seriously interested, apply after buying their license. Same with residents. That will eliminate a lot of them and if it doesn't at least Texas will get more money.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/26/19 10:32 PM

So with this loyalty points system. If 100 people apply and you have 10 loyalty points. are you 10/100 or are possibly 10 out of 1000 if everyone has 10 points? But the applications shows last year that 100 people applied. Anyone know for sure how this system works
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: draw hunt system - 08/26/19 11:33 PM

My understanding is it's basically like raffle tickets. You have an entry for every point you have. So does everyone else.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/27/19 12:06 AM

So with this loyalty points system. If 100 people apply and you have 10 loyalty points. are you 10/100 or are possibly 10 out of 1000 if everyone has 10 points? But the applications shows last year that 100 people applied. Anyone know for sure how this system works

Yes the published odds are deceiving. They give the number of how many people applied the year before without taking into account loyalty points. It still gives you an idea of how popular a hunt is compared to other hunts in the same category. It would be interesting to see just how many true "entries" there are in some of the big hunts like the Chap because those big hunts are going to have the bulk of the high loyalty point accumulation hunters entered in them. As well as the percentage of non resident entries there are in a hunt like that one.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/27/19 12:41 PM

back popcorn... welcome to the conversation D55
Ron

Re: draw hunt system - 08/27/19 03:10 PM

D55, I'm sure that if you call TPW at 800-792-1112 or 512-389-4800 and ask about how the Hunting Lottery & Loyalty Points program works, someone can explain it to you, better than they did with me. My downfall apparently was when I got off on another direction by asking about Non Res Applicants participation & were NR's participating at te same level of access as Residents.... and the conversation went off the rails, when the comment about "Only the Legislature is in charge of that aspect of the Program & TPW does not control that and cannot address the problem". ..is what I understood the TPW Rep to say. That guy must have the Patience of a Saint.

FWIW the well spoken young man on the phone was courteous and as succinct as he could be with all my "Douh ...well whatabout this or that ??"s. Good Luck. & Have Fun with the beaurocracy speak. I won't call and bother any body at TPW again.

For the Record: I did get drawn for a GDA Hunt at Ft Boggy last year...and got Notice Letter that I had been selceted in error and cancled my Permit. TPW's excuse was that the computer had gone frizzled and "Over Allocated" the # of Permits available, and that mine was not the only Permit that had been canceled...how would I know if that is actually what happened or not though. FWIW TPW did restore my LP's and refunded the Hunt Fee to my CC too....and I skipped applying at Ft Boggy this year to not get my hopes up at that location again. ..less than 2 hours from the house. GIGO happens to everybody....Right?
Ron

Re: draw hunt system - 08/27/19 06:32 PM

So the answer I got today from the one person I talked to is. The number shown on applications is the number of applicants. So if you see 2000 applications this number does not reflect loyalty points. So if there is an average of 5 loyalty points on a 2000 applicant hunt and you have 10 points.. your are looking at odds of 10/10000

Re: draw hunt system - 08/27/19 07:06 PM

So the answer I got today from the one person I talked to is. The number shown on applications is the number of applicants. So if you see 2000 applications this number does not reflect loyalty points. So if there is an average of 5 loyalty points on a 2000 applicant hunt and you have 10 points.. your are looking at odds of 10/10000

1 in a thousand or .1% chance of winning, but your chances increase if there is more than one spot to win.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/27/19 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj
Let the Non residents, that are seriously interested, apply after buying their license. Same with residents. That will eliminate a lot of them and if it doesn't at least Texas will get more money.

I think I have 8 state hunting license just to apply in other states. We need to be reciprocal, I know we are max capped on Pittman Roberson funds but still we are really missing out on revenue on draw system for not at a min requiring small game license

Re: draw hunt system - 08/27/19 10:49 PM

Correct but if the went to a true PP system most of applications would die before drawing any chance of drawing and thus decreasing all applications into the system. This way you atleast have a chance.

If we had enough hunt choices we could do random and max PP like AZ but that’s not the case
Posted By: Erny

Re: draw hunt system - 08/27/19 10:54 PM

Correct but if the went to a true PP system most of applications would die before drawing and thus decreasing all applications into the system. This way you atleast have a chance.

I agree a true point system would be disappointing at best. The system we have now is pretty good.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/27/19 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Erny

Correct but if the went to a true PP system most of applications would die before drawing and thus decreasing all applications into the system. This way you atleast have a chance.

I agree a true point system would be disappointing at best. The system we have now is pretty good.

Yelp I watch point creep in several states that I have double digit points in and it hurts.

If we had enough hunt choices we could do a hybrid like AZ, but we don’t, and I don’t think people want 1 choice per species either

Re: draw hunt system - 08/27/19 11:39 PM

Au Contriar...I'd be lots more happy about only having one shot for a Category each year...and that sounds life it was with mail in paper apps, like it was before all the "never fail computereze" took over. Back then I put in for lots of places I had studied up on for years of the App #'s and success %'s as reported in the paper Catelog Booklet. Actually went out and visited lots of sites to see what the place looked like and the other surrounding amenities were.
IMO this current system is going to kill interest levels of New to the System Applicants after no success in getting drawn anywhere after a few years of Zero Permits IMO Millenials have no patience or lack of success tolerance.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron
Posted By: Scoutdog

Re: draw hunt system - 08/28/19 12:19 AM

IMO this current system is going to kill interest levels of New to the System Applicants after no success in getting drawn anywhere after a few years of Zero Permits IMO Millenials have no patience or lack of success tolerance.
JMHO & YMMV
Ron

I think it's just the opposite. With the entry by computer, you have made it much easier for anyone to put in applications. The "old" way you had to manually fill out each application and mail them in. I think the computer application opened up a whole new population that was too lazy to take the time to do manual applications. Population increases in the state have not helped individual drawing odds either. Lastly, all the talk of public hunt drawings on internet sites (just like this one) have opened another pool of applicants. Go back and look at how many folks who have never put in before start asking questions and then start putting in themselves. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but every time it happens it's decreasing your odds of selection. Put a post up about where you slayed dove on public land and you will have a lot of guests the next time you go out. It's the same with the draw hunts.

Re: draw hunt system - 08/28/19 01:24 PM

JMHO & YMMV
Ron

You know, maybe you're right. It probably has nothing to do with so many older hunters being so vocal about how horrible the upcoming generation is. We almost all got into this because we looked up to an older hunter when we were young. If you want the future generations to be in the outdoors, guess what? They use the "never fail computereze."

When you feel like knocking millennials, remember which generation raised them. After all, It wasn't the millennial kids that wanted participation trophies; it was the parents.

- 30 year old millennial

Re: draw hunt system - 08/28/19 01:47 PM

Not every parent wants their child to get a Participation trophy has been my experience in knowing a wide spectrum of athletes, both Professional and Non Professional's. But it is the municiple Youth Athletics Programs where that mindset is started at the parents request in my opinion FWIW. I got my 2 boy's OUT of our town's Youth Athletics programs as early as I could, but took out a coaching license to learn the Rules of the Game when they were too young to play anything else.and coached for 4 years. Don't Complain...Get Involved Personally and take Responsibity was what my Instructor kept pounding on us in both Litttle League Baseball and Soccer. BTDT
Ron

Re: draw hunt system - 08/28/19 02:51 PM

Well, there you go, Wiley. Looks like we both know all millennials aren't bad.
Posted By: J W M

Re: draw hunt system - 08/28/19 10:19 PM

Got lucky on the 2nd draw and will be hunting at Richland Creek (archery) in a couple of months. Totally stoked about this one!!!

The hunt brochure says ATV's are recommended, but that a "safety course certification" is REQUIRED.
Does anyone know where to get that certification? I am south of San Antone, and don't mind going there, and would even drive to the DFW area if needed.
All the online research I've done has turned up nothing. I called DPS and they say they know nothing about that and are not affiliated with anyone. But the brochure states that it MUST be a "DPS approved" certification.
Google turned up numerous places in San Antone, but a phone call to them and they do ONLY motorcycle safety training.
Any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Posted By: J W M

Re: draw hunt system - 08/31/19 03:37 PM

Neither TPWD nor DPS was helpful. When I searched online for DPS "approved" safety courses, there was a map with "lots" of training centers. I called all of the places listed in the greater DFW and San Antonio area. None of them offered a course for ATV's. Only for motorcycles. I finally found a place called ATV Safety Institute. They offer a FREE online course. Takes a couple of hours to complete. Then I called RCWMA and was advised that this was sufficient. I also ordered the OHV stickers for 2 ATV's and my 4WD truck. The truck does require that sticker if it is going to be used "off road". The OHV stickers are $16.00 and are good from 9/1/2019 - 9-1/2020.
With that the RCWMA guy said that we should be good.
BTW, the ATV Safety Inst. will push you to take their "hands on" school; but I did not. Don't know what that cost is or where it is offered.

Re: draw hunt system - 09/03/19 04:58 PM

Well I finally drew out after years of trying we drew out on 2 today. Bandera private lands and lake McClellan youth.
Posted By: salth2o

Re: draw hunt system - 09/04/19 07:50 PM

My son is 0-fer thus far in the six years he's been eligible. We've still got some hunts that have yet to be drawn, so there's still a chance. smile
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum