Texas Hunting Forum

Sam Houston NF

Posted By: rolyat.nosaj

Sam Houston NF - 08/14/19 04:16 PM

Any of you guys do much hunting in the Sam? I think I have a group together to go this year. We will probably camp for a week, scout and try our luck. Even if we strike out I still look forward to the camping aspect of it while being around family and friends.

I noticed a bunch of the roads are gated off with signs that say "only means of transportation are bikes, horses and foot beyond gate". Those camp sights past those gates are a LONG way to walk in so we will use the other campsites that you can drive up to.

Has anyone ever tried using a bicycle on those trails (gated roads) to try and get in further and faster? I was considering buying a cheap Wal-Mart bike for $75 and using it for that purpose.

The idea is to get up before light, drive to the gate, park and take off with the bike to a spot I have already picked beforehand. Any ideas or suggestions?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Sam Houston NF - 08/14/19 04:40 PM

I use a bike in the SHNF. Works great. I have my game cart tied to the rack on my bike and have no problems getting in deep. As far as a $75 bike, you don't really need a top of the line mountain bike but that might be pushing it as far as reliability. Who knows though, it might be fine.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Sam Houston NF - 08/15/19 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by rolyat.nosaj

The idea is to get up before light, drive to the gate, park and take off with the bike to a spot I have already picked beforehand. Any ideas or suggestions?

bingo!!!! for deer that is

I do best on hogs in the late afternoons usually in the last 15 minutes of legal shooting time.
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Sam Houston NF - 08/15/19 09:19 PM

I've stayed on the Western side of the Forest for hunting, but some of those gates open up for driving once deer season opens up. Roads are all nice that i'd driven through, never thought I'd get stuck or needed 4x4 at any time unless pulling too far off into the shoulder/ditch, and it pretty much rained on my every time I went out last year. I enjoyed hunting the SAM quite a bit last year, you should too. Get a climbing stand so you can get up high and get a better field of view.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum