Posted By: Erny

2019/2020 - 07/01/19 10:19 PM

The 2019/2020 draw hunt catalog is posted on TPWDs website. banana banana
Posted By: NDN98

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 01:25 AM

up
Posted By: Blank

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 01:56 AM

I warned the wife that she’s not allowed to interrupt me on the computer for the next 3 days!!
Posted By: hilltop101

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 03:05 AM

I’ve put in for 56 hunts so far. Seems to be more opportunities this year than before.

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 01:53 PM

Not really any significant changes. Added several federal hunts and one private lands the best I can tell.

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by hilltop101
I’ve put in for 56 hunts so far. Seems to be more opportunities this year than before.

Dang, that is a lot of hunts. I usually only put in for 10-12, but I have double digit preference points in most categories and don't want to lose those points on just any old hunt.
Posted By: rogerh

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 05:32 PM

I want to get in on this for the first time this year. Do you also have to purchase an annual hunting permit also?
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 05:56 PM

*** 1st Hunt Cancellation Notices ***

In the Gun Deer Either Sex & Youth Only categories, Devil's River - Dan Allen Hughes Unit - has been cancelled due to a TXDOT project. They're not in the drop down area for selection.
Posted By: hilltop101

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by NDN98

Dang, that is a lot of hunts. I usually only put in for 10-12, but I have double digit preference points in most categories and don't want to lose those points on just any old hunt.

I’m fairly selective in the categories I have double digit preference points in. I’m not on a lease this year so I went for the shotgun approach on other categories I don’t have many points in. I figure the more I put in the better chance I have of getting something. I don’t mind donating a little extra to TPWD either.

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 10:04 PM

I’m fairly selective in the categories I have double digit preference points in. I’m not on a lease this year so I went for the shotgun approach on other categories I don’t have many points in. I figure the more I put in the better chance I have of getting something. I don’t mind donating a little extra to TPWD either.

Hilltop I use the same approach.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 11:14 PM

13 so far and another 10 or so to go

whats up with big bend ranch state park mule deer offering Dec 9-11

2 days of hunting and 4 days of driving to get there and back

Whomever decided on those dates wasnt thinking much

I cant believe I am not signing up for a mule deer category and for big bend? Probably my most sought after hunt but 1 full day and 2 half days is complete crap!!!!
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/02/19 11:51 PM

Did y'all see the falconry hunt? Very cool! I don't own a falcon but I'd like to watch.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/03/19 03:20 PM

The success rate for Garner SP is a joke(compared to the other parks that offer axis), I actually saw my first WT there this past week in a long time. Still haven't seen an axis in 4 years, we go there twice a year and sometimes 3.

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/03/19 04:35 PM

up

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/03/19 10:18 PM

OK, here's a shocker, and heads up for any of the non-residents out there. CHECK YOUR POINTS! I went to apply for the hunts of interest that I always do, and selected my wife and two hunting partners. When I got the last one, and checked his info, all of his points had been reset to zero in every category! Using his name, DOB, and SSN brought up the correct info for his profile and everything was zero.

As I thought about it, he just went down to Matagorda to fish with our friends, and had to get a fishing license. The gas station clerk could not get his info to come up, even tho he gave her his current full price license. To make it easy on herself, she just opened a new account for him!!!!!! Now the system recognizes the new account.

I was able to call Austin and get his old Sportsman ID and Customer number, to use for the applications, but they told me there is no way to cancel the new account. We have to submit a request in writing, and they will see if their admin department can merge the two.

Just when you think computers can't get any more fouled up. smile
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/04/19 01:39 PM

I have been the same way in previous years but since I hit 60 and I'm not getting any younger. I'm beginning to rethink it. BIL and I got drawn for three antlerless hunts, including South Llano last year and I applied for six in that category.

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/05/19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by grizzlyman

I have been the same way in previous years but since I hit 60 and I'm not getting any younger. I'm beginning to rethink it. BIL and I got drawn for three antlerless hunts, including South Llano last year and I applied for six in that category.

That is a really good success rate. My brother and I too apply for multiple Antlerless hunts each year, but have only been drawn twice in last 10 years.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/05/19 06:56 PM

7 hunts for me, 2 of them Gun Mule Deer, since I'm no longer on a lease that has mule deer. They caught me in a generous mood. I won't be able to primitive camp at Sierra Diablo much longer. I've done it once. 'Had a good hunt, but realized that I should have been less of a sissy and gone way further up north in Unit 1. I ain't getting any younger. I have a few preference points in all the categories I applied for. I finally gave up on Pronghorn and booked a private hunt for this August in the "Land of Enchantment"cool2 .

'Have to remember to apply for the Bighorn Sheep draw that's available on Sept. 15th. I'm gonna win that thing someday. banana
Posted By: waveone

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/05/19 09:57 PM

Wow!

Question: Are these all tags that require upfront fees?

If so that must require a huge amount of cash that you lend to various states for a few months.

Aside from Texas are there any that can be applied to for free?

thanks

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/06/19 12:07 AM

Nothing in life is free (Except Youth Only hunt applications smile ), and even then they get their money from the supervising adult.

Looking at the majority of states, some have to have a valid hunting license to accompany Youths, or in the case of the APH hunts, have to have the APH permit in order to apply for them. Throughout the nation, almost all states require you to either get a license, or pay a certain fee to apply. The vast majority are computer applications only, no more paper. Most are going to credit cards only, for payment and ease of refunds. Some charge complete fees up-front, while others only charge if you are drawn. Texas will give you the option of buying the permit, if you are drawn, or passing on it and not spending the money. You still lose your points tho.

It is getting more and more expensive to hunt and fish throughout the West, and prices will never go down.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/06/19 02:00 AM

I currently have 25 points in Gun Deer Either Sex and have never drawn a hunt in that category. With that many points the only hunt in that category I am willing to risk those points on is the Powderhorn Ranch to have an opportunity at taking a Sambar and maybe the Chap for it's trophy potential. Because points in the TPWD draw are not weighted, reaching double digit loyalty points really is like a curse because most applicants with that many points are not going to waste them on the easy to draw hunts. I fully expect to go into next year with 26 points, then 27 the next, and so on until I can't physically hunt anymore. But who knows. Can't win if you don't try.
Posted By: SenkoSamurai

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/17/19 08:42 PM

How do you check the number of points you have saved up?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: 2019/2020 - 07/17/19 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by SenkoSamurai
How do you check the number of points you have saved up?

On the drawn hunts main page, click "check status" and then put in your info.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum