Texas Hunting Forum

Best campsite area in SHNF?

Posted By: Thisisbeer

Best campsite area in SHNF? - 04/21/19 10:50 PM

Wanting to take my son on his first camping trip. Looking for a spot we can do some hiking and fishing if possible. If anybody has any tips or information I would love to hear it. Thanks.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Best campsite area in SHNF? - 04/22/19 02:32 AM

The Stubblefield Lake Recreation area campground is near Lake Conroe. Lots of fishing and hiking around there. Huntsville State Park is nice too, but gets pretty crowded on the weekends. There's a nice swimming area at Huntsville State Park if he likes to swim.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Best campsite area in SHNF? - 04/24/19 12:34 AM

stubblefield is nice if you need a shower and restrooms. It is a bit costly in my opinion but it is a nice area. You can walk across the street and start chasing hogs

I have always camped at kellys pond because it is free. Lots of hogs within walking distance also. Just walk over to caney creek and find some fresh hog signs and set up and wait for last light. typically they start moving about 10-15 minutes before the end of official shooting time. fish early in the morning and hunt in the late afternoon.
Posted By: Thisisbeer

Re: Best campsite area in SHNF? - 04/24/19 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
stubblefield is nice if you need a shower and restrooms. It is a bit costly in my opinion but it is a nice area. You can walk across the street and start chasing hogs

I have always camped at kellys pond because it is free. Lots of hogs within walking distance also. Just walk over to caney creek and find some fresh hog signs and set up and wait for last light. typically they start moving about 10-15 minutes before the end of official shooting time. fish early in the morning and hunt in the late afternoon.

I didn't even consider hog hunting. That is a great idea. I haven't hunted SHNF in the past. I assume all I need is my hunting license and public hunting permit?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Best campsite area in SHNF? - 04/24/19 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Thisisbeer
Originally Posted by Bigfoot

I didn't even consider hog hunting. That is a great idea. I haven't hunted SHNF in the past. I assume all I need is my hunting license and public hunting permit?

Yep, and an orange hat and vest. Squirrel season also opens back up for the month of May too.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum