Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Oklahoma

Posted By: sqiggy

Hunting Oklahoma - 04/09/19 08:42 AM

Anybody here hunt Oklahoma? Looking at hunting turkeys the last week of the season. Got a couple of questions concerning some of the WMA's. Just send me a PM please. Thanks.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting Oklahoma - 04/09/19 05:53 PM

Yes, but I haven’t hunted any of the WMA in a long time. , Oklahoma Public draw opened today.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Hunting Oklahoma - 04/09/19 06:59 PM

I have hunted Easterns and other game on SE OK WMAs going back many years. Best advice I can give is pick an area to learn. Call the area biologist and GW and pick their brain best you can. Some will be extremely helpful, but some may give an answer like "if I tell everyone, everyone will know". I have experienced both extremes in that State. On the ground talk to anyone with a coonhound if they will talk to you. The night hunters know the woods better than anyone in the area. Most of all try to drive up for a day or two beforehand, stop on the WMA roads, get the woods and listen for gobblers. In those deep rural areas show respect to the locals you meet and you may have area locals hunt you up to offer help. Don't and you may come back to your truck to find a valve stem missing.
Posted By: 007hunter

Re: Hunting Oklahoma - 04/10/19 07:02 PM

You are aware of non-resident hunting license cost in OK...right? It is crazy high
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Hunting Oklahoma - 04/11/19 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by 007hunter
You are aware of non-resident hunting license cost in OK...right? It is crazy high

Compared to the cost of a turkey hunt here in Tx, it's pretty dang cheap at $142 and then a $10 turkey permit.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Hunting Oklahoma - 04/12/19 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by sqiggy

Compared to the cost of a turkey hunt here in Tx, it's pretty dang cheap at $142 and then a $10 turkey permit.

Yep that’s not bad at all for a nonresident turkey license and tag.
Posted By: 007hunter

Re: Hunting Oklahoma - 04/12/19 06:57 PM

Alrighty...guess some people have deeper pockets than me...
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Hunting Oklahoma - 04/22/19 05:05 PM

Alrighty...guess some people have deeper pockets than me...

The amount of quality public hunting land in Oklahoma actually makes it cheaper there. We hunt Oklahoma every year and always have venison on the freezer. Good luck doing that in.texas for a couple hundred bucks. The op is likely hunting public for turkey. Gaining access to land in Texas to hunt turkey would cost much more than he is paying.
Posted By: texashunter900

Re: Hunting Oklahoma - 07/06/19 04:57 AM

Pm incoming on the turkey hunt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum