Texas Hunting Forum

Another public land question

Posted By: Bow madness

Another public land question - 04/05/19 11:57 PM

I hunted my grandparents property in Gatesville until it was put on the market in the middle of last season. I'm now looking at public lands. I know I don't need a permit to hunt Lake Waco during bow season. I noticed that TPWD offers a public land permit. Is this different than the Army Corps of Engineers permit for Whitney and Aquilla? I can't get a hold of the Temple TPWD office and they're not even listed in the website directory. They open after I get to work, close for an hour at lunch (I only get 30 minutes), and closed when I get off. Any help is very much appreciated.
Posted By: colt.45

Re: Another public land question - 04/06/19 07:23 AM

welcome ta texasHF,,, wish could b more helpful, Last Public Huntic Permit i purchased was $48.00 ya get booklet with maps of the unitsavalable, not sure if area U mention is in that.... Hopefully some one with more knowladg & info will b along ta help.... Best wishes...
flag
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Another public land question - 04/06/19 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bow madness
I hunted my grandparents property in Gatesville until it was put on the market in the middle of last season. I'm now looking at public lands. I know I don't need a permit to hunt Lake Waco during bow season. I noticed that TPWD offers a public land permit. Is this different than the Army Corps of Engineers permit for Whitney and Aquilla? I can't get a hold of the Temple TPWD office and they're not even listed in the website directory. They open after I get to work, close for an hour at lunch (I only get 30 minutes), and closed when I get off. Any help is very much appreciated.

Each COE property is different. Need to reach out to each controlling office.

The Public land Permit is for National Forest and grasslands

Also check out the Texas draw hunts. Turkey, hogs, Whitetail, mule deer, elk, aoudad, Axis, oryx, etc.

Hagerman isnít that far from you also, they have a great draw hunt
Posted By: 20bore

Re: Another public land question - 05/06/19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Permit not required for national forest.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Another public land question - 05/06/19 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 20bore
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Permit not required for national forest.

Not necessarily. If the National Forest is considered a WMA like the Sam Houston national forest, then an APH is required.
Posted By: 20bore

Re: Another public land question - 05/06/19 11:19 PM

Theyíre required on WMAs, such as Alabama Creek, Bannister and Moore Plantation, and, youíre right, all of Sam just happens to be a WMA so itís required there.
But itís the only one like that.
Not required on the other three regular national forests.
I was just clarifying for the OP or anybody else.
But thereís no deer in the NF so nobody should hunt there anyway.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Another public land question - 05/10/19 09:13 PM

Yes the public land (Type II) APH permit from TPWD is different than the one you get from Army Corp for Whitney and Aquilla
© 2021 Texas Hunting Forum