Texas Hunting Forum

South Shore Choke Canyon

Posted By: Aggieduck

South Shore Choke Canyon - 12/08/18 04:20 PM

As previously mentioned this was a hunt at the South Shore unit on Choke Canyon Lake in Three Rivers. Being a management hunt we were allowed one doe, a buck being spike to 7 pt and pigs. This was held at the James Daughtery WMA there were some folks that were hunting 9 units there. After the orientation it was off to the field, litteraly the ball field. I was placed in a pop up blind in right field looking down two senderos, one towards left foul pole and the other across second base. There was a lot of activity the crossed that old field and I was able to take a doe that night. The next morning brought a lot more activity and a few small bucks. This sit I was in the bling 6-12 then back 2-630. The final morning I jumped some pigs while going to pour out the last bit of corn for the final sit. More does showed up and one of the pigs came back at around 9AM. I sent a bullet over his head and after thinking about it, which I should have done well prior to pulling the trigger but didn't due to excitemt I realized the pig was only about 60-70 yards my rifle shoots 1.5" high at 100. Thus it did not land home. He ran off at full speed. I stayed at the Calliham state park in a screened shelter. These were pretty cool and might go back just to hang out. After talking to the TPWD hunt runner there were a few spikes killed some does and some pigs. So it sounded like it was a pretty successful hunt.

[Linked Image]

The warning

[Linked Image]

At the shelter

[Linked Image]

There were plenty of does around. At one point there were 8 in the field and I believe I saw 10 different doe that sit.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That's Wanda on the right. I named her as she was a worry wart, rightfully so I guess as there was someone sitting 100 yards away with a gun.

Low light and shooting from the dark along with moving targets made it difficult to get high quality pictures of the bucks

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ducks, Im always looking for them. Oh and coots not so much.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Erny

Re: South Shore Choke Canyon - 12/08/18 04:34 PM

Congrats. Looks like you had plenty of fun.
Posted By: Blank

Re: South Shore Choke Canyon - 12/08/18 11:09 PM

CCSS looked like a fun place to hunt a management doe. I was there last year on my CCNS archery hunt, and had the day before to drive around and look at all of the deer. Sure saw a lot of nice trophy bucks also.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: South Shore Choke Canyon - 12/09/18 03:22 PM

Great report! Thanks for the pictures!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum